Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Create POP 3 Account via Shell Post 96063 by kermite on Tuesday 17th of January 2006 10:15:34 AM
Old 01-17-2006
Create POP 3 Account via Shell

This may be so simple that I am overlooking it somewhere, but search as I may, I cannot find an answer anywhere!

I am running a Linux box with sendmail and many different virtual domains. I cannot however, figure out how to setup a pop3 account for a specific domain.

For example, I have a domain, test.com - via my host providers control panel, I can setup all the email accounts you could hope for, I need to figure out how to setup an email account for test.com command line. (In the end it will be used in a PHP script, but this is the starting point anyhow...)

I have root access and all that jazz to the server. I have tried doing it straight with adduser - but of course, when I sent to "user@test.com" it just gets returned, tho that user exists on the server, there is nothing that determines "user" should get mail from "user@test.com"

Not sure if I am making a mountain out of a molehill here, but I was looking for a simple command line way to do this, NON interactive, so a one line shell command or something of the like.

Any info, suggestions, links, would be much appreciated Smilie

Thanks!

Mike

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add POP Account Script (newbie)

Hi All, I am thinking about getting a dedicated server and would like to be able to add pop mail accounts automatically without my intervention. In other words, when someone fills out a form for a POP mail account, the information is sent to a script on the site and sets up their account... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnmwebmaster
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create an account on UNIX-server

How can i create an account on my UNIX-server? 1. The files, can't be deleted by that person. (or better: he can only delete his own upped files, or can delete files, but can't see mine) 2. He can upload files. 3. I can delete and see everything. Hope you guys can help me. B.T.W. nice... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SEC
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a unix account

Hi, Please could some advise how to create a unix account, from the root account. thanks you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create new user account and password in shell script

I am trying to create a shell script that will: check if a specific user already exists if not, create a specific group and create the user in that group assign a password to that user, where the password is passed in as a parameter to the script The problem that I need help with is 3 on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: killuane
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Create sft account in unix

How to create sftp account in UNIX end. Anyone guide me on this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijill
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Help me create new user account

I want create user. That user should be login to any server without asking password. How? tell me in detail. :wall: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navkreddy
3 Replies

7. AIX

Create another root account

Hi I would like to create another root account, for example root2. I added a new user named root2 and set it's uid and gid ( in /etc/passwd ) to 0. Then I logged in ( account root2 ) and the server asked to change the password, so I changed. And the problem happend. The password of both root... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Create a shell script to gather user account information and displays the result to administrator

I want to create a shell script to gather user account information and displays the result to administrator. I have created a script but its showing all the information when i search for username like: amit@mx:~$ ./uinfo.sh amit Username : amit User Info ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1986
2 Replies
SENDMAILCONFIG(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 SENDMAILCONFIG(8)

NAME
sendmailconfig - configure sendmail for Debian systems SYNOPSIS
sendmailconfig [--no-reload] DESCRIPTION
sendmailconfig is used to simplify the configuration of sendmail(8) for use on Debian systems. In the simplest case, you may run this program to (re)configure sendmail for your Debian system at any time. It will modify the file /etc/mail/sendmail.mc in order to create a working sendmail configuration which will be written to the file /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. For advanced configurations, you can modify the sendmail.mc file before generating sendmail.cf. Future invokations of sendmailconfig will preserve these changes provided they are made at the end of the file. Normally sendmailconfig will ask if you want to reload sendmail after making changes to its configuration. The --no-reload option will avoid this question. FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc sendmail m4 input to generate sendmail.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf actual sendmail configuration file /etc/mail/sendmail.cw names for which we will accept mail in the standard configuration /etc/mail/sendmail.ct names of trusted users in the standard configuration SEE ALSO
sendmail(8) AUTHOR
Robert Leslie <rob@mars.org> 21-Jan-1997 SENDMAILCONFIG(8)