Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux and my modem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux and my modem Post 9601 by CyPHoN on Tuesday 30th of October 2001 06:57:53 PM
Old 10-30-2001
ARGH!!!

ok... I decided to install Mandrake instead of Storm Linux, and I'm still having the same problem. Depending on the type of flow control I have, when I query the modem I will either get "The modem is not responding " (CRTSCTS), or It will go through everything and then have blank for all the response fields (XOn/XOff and None).

If I choose any other devices as the modem, I get "Sorry, the modem is busy"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to configure modem in Linux

I have Linux RedHat7.1 and I have this modem RockWell HCF 56KDATA Fax PCI Modem. I don't know how to configure this modem. Can anybody please help me out. I tried "linuxconf" it does not recognize this command. Pleas help me out. Regards -Iftikhar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syedifti
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux and my cable modem

I recently installed Caldera 2.4 (successfully:p ), but I cannot seem to get my cable modem up and running! My ISP is AT&T and I'm using @home. I've tried using DHCP and that didn't work either. I briefly read the cable modem HOWTO, but the lsmod didn't list my network card (3COM). What do I do now? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I force my Linux RedHat to recognize my modem??

yeah, I tried basically everything I can find from reading books and asking people but I haven't gotten it to work. is there anything else that can be done. I mean, this internal modem I got is like the last thing I expected Linux not to find (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please Help Me With This Linux Red Hat 7.2 Modem Problem

I cant get my modem to work. Linux just isn't recognizing it. every time I typed wvdial, i get a message saying my modem is not responding I tried looking for drivers at the website Neo directed me to but I just couldn't find the right one from the information I was given about my modem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

DHCP Linux and cable modem

I can do all this in windows, but Im trying to run the SuSe 8.0 professional as a gateway. I have the local (private) LAN setup with no problems, but Im having troubles getting it to use DHCP to go out on the external card to the service provider, which only uses Dynamic IP's. WHere, what and how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ftn96
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

modem driver for linux

how to get modem driver for linux on intel netvista a22p model?please help.Thanks.:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xinubhaskar
2 Replies

7. SuSE

Linux can't seem to recognise the modem

I am using linux 8.1 which is running on a dell 250n laptop. I have trouble getting onto the internet as the system is failing to recognise the modem. How can i resolve this issue? Thanx in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
3 Replies

8. Linux

get innet access by dualup to linux box connected to dsl through phone line modem

Hi! I'm looking for a sollution on this task: is there any way to make linux as some sort of personal ISP, with would let me/somebody else get internet access by dialing up to linux box through phoneline? to use it as sort of a proxy or something simular? I could manage it on windows 2000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: V@no
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

How to implement TIOCOUTQ for USB modem on Linux Ubuntu

Hi, I need to override ioctl operation for a few USB drivers (sierra, option, cdc-acm) on Linux Ubuntu 2.6.34sb2 to support TIOCOUTQ command. Unfortunately, none of the drivers I mentioned above support TIOCOUTQ because it seems unclear to know amount of data inside a modem. Does Linux... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDoroshenko
12 Replies

10. Red Hat

Install 3G Modem on Redhat Linux

Hi Guys , I am new to Linux enviornment , I have purchased Huawei 355 Modem as they specify it works with linux enviornment but Not sure how to install it , when ever I try to install I am getting error , below is the error message Error Message : Install NDIS driver failed. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarkLegends
4 Replies
acucap(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 acucap(4)

NAME
acucap - Automatic call unit capabilities file SYNOPSIS
/etc/acucap DESCRIPTION
The /etc/acucap file lists the types of autodial modems and describes their attributes. Whenever tip encounters an at field in /etc/remote file description, it searches /etc/acucap file description. If the at string there matches a name entry in /etc/acucap, the tip generic dialing routine places an outgoing call according to the attributes specified for the modem in the acucap file. Each line in the file describes how to dial a given type of modem. This description consists of strings, time delays, and flags used to control the action of any modem. Fields are separated by a colon (:). Entries that end in a backslash character () followed by a newline are continued on the next line. The first entry is the name or names of the modem. If there is more than one name for a modem, each is separated by a vertical bar (|). There cannot be any blank spaces or other characters between the first column and the modem name. The fields of the description follow the name. A field name followed by an equal sign (=) indicates that a string value follows. A field name followed by a pound sign (#) indicates that a numeric value follows. A field name followed by the separating colon (:) represents a Boolean. CAPABILITIES
The fields following the name of the modem define the capabilities of the modem. Capabilities are either strings (str), numbers (num), or Boolean flags (bool). A string capability is of the form: capability=value An example is: ss=^A^B A numeric capability is of the form: capability#value An example is: sd#1 A Boolean capability is specified simply by listing it. Strings that are not specified cause nothing to be issued. The following are available capabilities: (str) Abort string. This string is sent to the modem if tip is aborted. (num) Completion delay. This number gives the time to wait between completion string characters (in seconds, unless the ls Boolean is specified). (bool) Setting this Boolean causes the program to wait in the generic dial routine until the modem senses a carrier. (str) A modem command string which instructs the modem to change from the default speed to the speed specified by the xs field. (str) Completion string. The modem issues this string after receiving and responding to synchronization and dial strings. (num) Dial acknowledge. This number gives the time to wait before looking for a dial response (in seconds). (bool) Debug mode. Setting this Boolean causes the generic dialer to give more information as it dials. (num) Dial delay. This number gives the time between dial characters (in seconds) unless the ls Boolean is specified. (str) Dial initialization. This string is used to start a dialing sequence (placed just before the number to dial.) (str) Dial response. The modem sends this string if a dialing sequence that was just issued is successful. (str) Disconnect string. This string is sent to the modem when tip is finally disconnected. (str) Dial termination. This string is used to terminate a dialing sequence (placed just after the number to dial.) (num) Full delay. This number is the time to wait for a carrier to be detected (in seconds). If the call is not completed in this time, an error is returned. (bool) This Boolean causes the modem to hang up the phone if the line goes away. (num) This number specifies the speed at which the modem must be initialized. The conversation speed will later be set as specified by the xs field. (bool) Use an internal sleep routine rather than sleep(3) for delays. Thus, all delays are given in microseconds rather than seconds. (str) Online string. The modem sends this string after carrier has been detected. (bool) Causes a 1-second delay after toggling dtr (data terminal ready). This action will only be taken if re is also set. (bool) This Boolean causes the modem to toggle dtr (data terminal ready) before beginning synchronization. It is used to reset the present condition of the modem. (str) Replacement string. This string is a single character that will be substituted for an equal sign (=) or dash (-) in the number to be dialed; used so that delay characters can be represented uniformly, but allowing the correct delay character to be passed to a given modem. (num) Synchronization delay. This number gives the time between synchronization characters (in seconds unless the ls Boolean is specified.) (bool) This modem is attached to an interface that cannot return any characters until carrier is detected. The DMF32 interface acts in this way. (str) Synchronization response. What the modem sends in response to a synchronization string. (str) Synchronization string. The first string the modem expects to receive; a check to see if the modem is operating. (num) Specifies the speed the modem will operate at after initialization at the default speed in the is field. EXAMPLES
The following example shows an entry for a DF03 modem: df03|DF03|dec df03: :cr:hu:re:di=^A^B:dd#1:os=A:ds=^A:fd#40: RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: tip(1), sleep(3). Files: remote(4). delim off acucap(4)