Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Null Characters
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Null Characters Post 95645 by arch_bhangle on Friday 13th of January 2006 04:36:21 AM
Old 01-13-2006
Question Replace Binary Nulls with spaces using Unix cmd

Hi,

We have an input datafile coming in from a different source. When this file is being processed by the Unix code on a AIX machine, it give a different record count and fails reconciliation with the expected couts. In short the Binary Nulls are getting treated differently when we are doing a processing of file. The main thing change is when we redirect the data from the input data file to another temporary file to remove the last line, which is a control record.

In this process the file that gets created as a totally different record length as the binary nulls are being treated differently by the unix.

Please advice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare null with non-null

I've got a very peculiar situation. I'm trying to find out if we can compare null fields with non-null. I've output csv files from SQL and Oracle. I need to compare each field from the files, and then find out any differences. The files usualy have over 500 fields, and send the resule to DBA.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove null characters from file?

I'm trying to remove the null characters from a file and copy it to std output. I'm using emacs and I create the following one line bash file (followed by the error messages): sed -e 's/^@//' <ConfigItemReplicator.install.log /usr/bin/bash: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert string 'NULL' where there is a null value

I have an input file having 7 fields delimited by , eg : 1,ABC,hg,1,2,34,3 2,hj,YU,2,3,4, 3,JU,kl,4,5,7, 4,JK,KJ,3,56,4,5 The seventh field here in some lines is empty, whereas the other lines there is a value. How do I insert string NULL at this location (7th loc) for these lines where... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zilch
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters with random characters

I've got a file (numbers.txt) filled with numbers and I want to replace each one of those numbers with a new random number between 0 and 9. This is my script so far: #!/bin/bash rand=$(($RANDOM % 9)) sed -i s//$rand/g numbers.txtThe problem that I have is that it replaces each number with just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellocatfood
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first 2 characters and last two characters of each line

here's what im trying to do. i have a file containing lines similar to this: data.txt: 1hsRmRsbHRiSFZNTTA1dlEyMWFkbU5wUW5CSlIyeDFTVU5SYjJOSFRuWmpia0ZuWXpKV2FHTnRU 1lKUnpWMldrZFZaMG95V25oYQpSelEyWTBka2QyRklhSHBrUjA1b1kwUkJkd3BOVXpWM1lVaG5k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
RLAM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   RLAM(1)

NAME
rlam - laminate records from multiple files SYNOPSIS
rlam [ -tS ][ -u ][ -iaN | -ifN | -idN | -iiN | -iwN | -ibN ] input1 input2 .. DESCRIPTION
Rlam simply joins records (or lines) from multiple inputs, separating them with the given string (TAB by default). Different separators may be given for different files by specifying additional -t options in between each file name. Note that there is no space between this option and its argument. If none of the input files uses an ASCII separator, then no end-of-line character will be printed, either. An input is either a stream or a command. Commands are given in quotes, and begin with an exclamantion point ('!'). If the inputs do not have the same number of lines, then shorter files will stop contributing to the output as they run out. The -ia option may be used to specify ASCII input (the default), or the -if option may be used to indicated binary IEEE 32-bit floats on input. Similarly, the -id and -ii options may be used to indicate binary 64-bit doubles or integer words, respectively. The -iw option specifies 2-byte short words, and the -ib option specifies bytes. If a number is immediately follows any of these options, then it indi- cates that multiple such values are expected for each record. For example, -if3 indicates three floats per input record for the next named input. In the case of the -ia option, no number indicates one line per input record, and numbers greater than zero indicate that many characters exactly per record. For binary input formts, no number implies one value per record. For anything other than EOL-separated input, the default tab separator is reset to the empty string. A hyphen ('-') by itself can be used to indicate the standard input, and may appear multiple times. The -u option forces output after each record (i.e., one run through inputs). EXAMPLE
To join files output1 and output2, separated by a comma: rlam -t, output1 output2 To join a file with line numbers (starting at 0) and its reverse: cnt `wc -l < lam.c` | rlam - -t: lam.c -t '!tail -r lam.c' To join four data files, each having three doubles per record: rlam -id3 file1.dbl file2.dbl file3.dbl file4.dbl > combined.dbl AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), histo(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), tabfunc(1), total(1) RADIANCE
7/8/97 RLAM(1)