Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: change hostname
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers change hostname Post 95546 by RTM on Thursday 12th of January 2006 08:39:32 AM
Old 01-12-2006
Quote from SUN for Solaris 9 and Solaris 10 DHCP
Quote:
For Solaris 9 systems:

1. Edit the file /etc/init.d/inetsvc and change the line that reads the following: hostname='/sbin/dhcpinfo Hostname' to

#hostname='/sbin/dhcpinfo Hostname'

hostname='/usr/bin/cat /etc/nodename'

2. Create a executable script in /etc/rcS.d directory for example S31myhost

and add the following line :

hostname dhcpclient1

Note: dhcpclient1 is example of a hostname.

3. Next, Follow the same procedure as for Solaris 10 which is listed below.

For Solaris 10 systems:

1. Edit the /etc/default/dhcpagent file and change the line that reads the following:

#REQUEST_HOSTNAME=no

to

REQUEST_HOSTNAME=no

2. Edit the /etc/hostname.interface(example of dhcp interface is hostname.hme0) file

and add the hostname to that file.

3. Edit the /etc/nodename file and add the hostname to that file as well.

4. Edit the /etc/hosts file and add the loghost and hostname. See example below:

# # Internet host table # 127.0.0.1 localhost loghost dhcp ip dhcpclient1 # Added by DHCP

5. Reboot the DHCP Client

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How to change hostname and ip in solaris

Dear all, I am going to change the IP address and hostname in my solaris, but I don't know how to do it. If you have any idea or suggestion, please fell free to let me know. Thanks and Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PennyLi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change hostname

Hi, ( running solaris 8 ) I know how to change the hostname temparily, by login in as root typing hostname = xxxxx but, this obviously goes when the system is rebooted. I'm not sure what files need changing to make this a permant change. Could anyone help me please? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change of Hostname

Dear All. I will like to know beside the following command "hostname hostname" what other command that can change the hostname of the Unix. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelbvonn
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Change IP and Hostname

Hello.. I wanted to know how to change IP and Hostname on HPUX system, and I don't want to make it as NIS master either. Could someone tell me the files I need to modify and make sure it's on network? Thanks! :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Change hostname in Solaris 9

Please anyone guide me how to change the hostname in Solaris 9? The IP of the machie is fetched from a DHCP server. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
6 Replies

7. Linux

how to change hostname permanentaly

i want to change my hostname permanentaly in my Fedora core 6. could any one tell me how it is possible .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Change hostname

Hello, I would like to change the hostname on a Linux server (RHEL4). I try different methods in vain : - by using hostname command - by changing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname But after restarting server, the old hostname re-appears... :confused: And the file ./proc/sys/kernel/hostname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change HostName

How to change host name in NCR Unix version 3.0 release 4.0 I got the OS version and OS release from executing uname -v and uname -r (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalina
9 Replies

10. Solaris

change hostname in SUNOS 5.10

What file I need to edit if I need to change hostname in SUN OS 5.10 Please advice ....... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuikingman1
1 Replies
dhcp(5) 						Standards, Environments, and Macros						   dhcp(5)

NAME
dhcp - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol DESCRIPTION
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) enables host systems in a TCP/IP network to be configured automatically for the network as they boot. DHCP uses a client/server mechanism: servers store configuration information for clients, and provide that information upon a client's request. The information can include the client's IP address and information about network services available to the client. This manual page provides a brief summary of the Solaris DHCP implementation. Solaris DHCP Client The Solaris DHCP client is implemented as background daemon, dhcpagent(1M). This daemon is started automatically during bootup if there exists at least one dhcp.interface file in /etc. Only interfaces with a corresponding /etc/dhcp.interface file are automatically configured during boot. Network parameters needed for system configuration during bootup are extracted from the information recieved by the daemon through the use of the dhcpinfo(1) command. The daemon's default behavior can be altered by changing the tunables in the /etc/default/dhc- pagent file. The daemon is controlled by the ifconfig(1M) utility. Check the status of the daemon using the netstat(1M) and ifconfig(1M) commands. Solaris DHCP Server The Solaris DHCP server is implemented as a background daemon, in.dhcpd(1M). This daemon can deliver network configuration information to either BOOTP or DHCP clients. The Solaris DHCP service can be managed using the dhcpmgr(1M) GUI or the command line utilities dhcpcon- fig(1M), dhtadm(1M), and pntadm(1M). DHCP Configuration Tables The Solaris DHCP server stores client configuration information in the following two types of tables: dhcptab tables Contain macros and options (also known as symbols), used to construct a package of configuration information to send to each DHCP client. There exists only one dhcptab for the DHCP service. The dhcptab(4) can be viewed and mod- ified using the dhtadm(1M) command or dhcpmgr(1M) graphical utility. See dhcptab(4) for more information about the syntax of dhcptab records. See dhcp_inittab(4) for more information about the DHCP options and symbols. DHCP network tables DHCP network tables, which contain mappings of client IDs to IP addresses and parameters associated with those addresses. Network tables are named with the IP address of the network, and can be created, viewed, and modified using the pntadm command or dhcpmgr graphical utility. See dhcp_network(4) for more information about network tables. SEE ALSO
dhcpinfo(1), dhcpagent(1M), dhcpconfig(1M), dhcpmgr(1M), dhtadm(1M), ifconfig(1M), in.dhcpd(1M), netstat(1M), pntadm(1M), syslog(3C), dhcp_network(4), dhcptab(4), dhcpsvc.conf(4), dhcp_inittab(4), dhcp_modules(5) Solaris DHCP Service Developer's Guide Alexander, S., and R. Droms. RFC 2132, DHCP Options and BOOTP Vendor Extensions. Silicon Graphics, Inc. Bucknell University. March 1997. Droms, R. RFC 1534, Interoperation Between DHCP and BOOTP. Bucknell University. October 1993. Droms, R. RFC 2131, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Bucknell University. March 1997. Wimer, W. RFC 1542, Clarifications and Extensions for the Bootstrap Protocol. Carnegie Mellon University. October 1993. SunOS 5.10 13 Mar 2001 dhcp(5)