Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please explain read in a while loop Post 95494 by mahendramahendr on Wednesday 11th of January 2006 04:30:12 PM
Old 01-11-2006
Code:
 while read line
do
read test?"Enter a Value:"
done < testfile

In the above code, in the first line, it says read line.. it reads the first line from the testfile and puts it into the variable called line, again when you say read test, it actually reads the second line from testfile and puts it into the variable test.. it won't take the input from the keyboard because you have given the input as testfile by specifying the "<".

use this code

#!/usr/bin/ksh

IFS="
"

for line in $(< testfile)
do
echo $line
echo "Enter value :"
read a
done

Last edited by mahendramahendr; 01-11-2006 at 05:44 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help : while read loop

hi all, Can you please help me with this issue ? while ####infinite loop do cat file1 |while read var1 var2 do func1 $var1 $var2 done cat file2 | while read var11 var22 do func2 $var11 $var22 done done func1 is called till all the values are read... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navatha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read line in a for loop

Hi All, How can we use read line using the index value of a FOR loop? eg: pt_mstr,pt_status,8 pt_mstr,pt_buyer,8 pt_mstr,pt_sfty_stk,8 pt_mstr,pt_ord_pol,3 pt_mstr,pt_capacity,8 pt_mstr,pt_plan_ord,3 pt_mstr,pt_ord_mult,8 From this file i want to read the line2, 3 and 4 only using a FOR... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balajim
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if elif loop with read

I am trying to setup an if, elif statement that is dependant on a variable. If the user does not enter a valid option I would like it to prompt them again and start the loop over. Here is what I have so far: echo -n "enter variable (a, b, or c): " read freq if ; then echo "a" elif ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BStanley346
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with for loop with while read

Hello, The code below pulls printer information from a three-column file (set by the ${MULTIFILE} variable at the end), that has the printer queue name, IP, and type of printer. It is supposed to use this info to add the printers in the list to one, or more servers . The input file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

until loop and read

Hi guys what I wanna do is to create a script where can I input several times a file - assume with read function that will be inserted into a temp. file for further processing. When I press q I want that the loop will stop and continue in my script I typed this but the options q is not working... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
6 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Please explain how to read df -k

What I'm trying to find out is how many gb do we actually have free, how do you calculate that with the following output from the df -k command. Filesystem 1024-blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/prod001 46137344 9200468 81% 26166 1% ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read statement within while read loop

hi, this is my script #!/bin/ksh cat temp_file.dat | while read line do read test if ]; then break else echo "ERROR" fi done when i execute this code , the script does wait for the user input . it directly prints "ERROR" and terminates after the no. of times as there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva1612
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

explain while loop in ksh shell script

#!/bin/ksh log=ABCl log=EFG log=HIJ i=0 while <------ what is the meaning of ($i - lt 3) do print ${log} (( i=i+1 )) done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bperl1967
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with while read loop

Hey all, Tried searching the forums but my search-fu may not be strong today; please feel free to redirect me if I have simply missed a post that would be helpful! Trying to create a while loop that reads a list of configuration files, checks for a line that starts with "SOME_CMD" and ends... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdwyer
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please explain AWK Fibonnaci for loop

Referring to this: #!/bin/awk -f BEGIN{ for(i=0;i<=10;i++) { if (i <=1 ) { x=0; y=1; print i; } else { z=x+y; print z; x=y; y=z; } } (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: p1ne
3 Replies
yencode(n)					       Text encoding & decoding binary data						yencode(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
yencode - Y-encode/decode binary data SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require yencode ?1.1.2? ::yencode::encode string ::yencode::decode string ::yencode::yencode ?-name string? ?-line integer? ?-crc32 boolean? (-file filename | ?--? string) ::yencode::ydecode (-file filename | ?--? string) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a Tcl-only implementation of the yEnc file encoding. This is a recently introduced method of encoding binary files for transmission through Usenet. This encoding packs binary data into a format that requires an 8-bit clean transmission layer but that escapes characters special to the NNTP posting protocols. See http://www.yenc.org/ for details concerning the algorithm. ::yencode::encode string returns the yEnc encoded data. ::yencode::decode string Decodes the given yEnc encoded data. ::yencode::yencode ?-name string? ?-line integer? ?-crc32 boolean? (-file filename | ?--? string) Encode a file or block of data. ::yencode::ydecode (-file filename | ?--? string) Decode a file or block of data. A file may contain more than one embedded file so the result is a list where each element is a three element list of filename, file size and data. OPTIONS
-filename name Cause the yencode or ydecode commands to read their data from the named file rather that taking a string parameter. -name string The encoded data header line contains the suggested file name to be used when unpacking the data. Use this option to change this from the default of "data.dat". -line integer The yencoded data header line contains records the line length used during the encoding. Use this option to select a line length other that the default of 128. Note that NNTP imposes a 1000 character line length limit and some gateways may have trouble with more than 255 characters per line. -crc32 boolean The yEnc specification recommends the inclusion of a cyclic redundancy check value in the footer. Use this option to change the default from true to false. % set d [yencode::yencode -file testfile.txt] =ybegin line=128 size=584 name=testfile.txt -o- data not shown -o- =yend size=584 crc32=ded29f4f REFERENCES
[1] http://www.yenc.org/yenc-draft.1.3.txt BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category base64 of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
encoding, yEnc, ydecode, yencode CATEGORY
Text processing COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002, Pat Thoyts base64 1.1.2 yencode(n)