Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting determine file type with perl Post 95366 by umen on Tuesday 10th of January 2006 06:09:02 PM
Old 01-10-2006
determine file type with perl

Hello
i will like to know please how can i determine file type inside perl script
not using the unix "file" program
Thanks allot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Command to determine Tape Type

I have 2 UNIX boxes and I need to determine whether or not they possess the same tape drive. What is the hardware command to determine what type of tape drive is present? Thx in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Surdeymon
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

use perl to get file type ?

Can anybody please tell me how can I determine whether a file is SYMBOLIC LINK, using the stat() function ? So far I have this: my @attrs = stat($fileName); my $mode = $attrs; What next ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_learner
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using 'stat' to determine file system type (with Zenity)

edited and removed (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdpalow
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to determine what type of backup I've on the tape

I've tape which I've to use to restore data. The problem is that I don't know what type of backup I have on this type. Can someone help me and tell me how can I determine what type of backup is on the tape? Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fraydey
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Determine directory name

Hi there, I wonder if it is possible the determine a name of a directory which is different on various hosts. Let me try to explain. I have the directory /tmp/dir1/dir2/canchangedir. This directory name is different on various hosts. I need to use the directory name, independent from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to determine the fie system type?

Good day I need create new mount points on a server. I'm not very familiar with HP-UX and was given steps on how to go about doing the mounting, etc. Before I start though, I need to determine which file system type is currently being used. This will determine whether i need to extend the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine file type by content, not extension

I have a directory structure with multiple sub directories. Within each directory, there are files without extensions. Is it possible to somehow tell what the file type should be by the file contents? For example, I opened one of the files using an editor. After scrolling to the end of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daflore
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Cmd to determine type of zone?

I lost my notes on the subject, but I remember running across a single Solaris command that tells you the following Global zone vs local zone Sparse local zone vs Whole Root local zone Can anyone advise? Thanks-In-Advance!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine Content-Type

I am limited to using only libraries that come with the default install of ActivePerl. I'd like to be able to determine the content type of a file on the fly. I thought CGI.pm might do it, but it looks a little weird to me from the perldoc. If someone has a quick way to determine the type of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
4 Replies

10. Programming

Perl : Inline program to determine file size

Hi, I have 5 files as below $ ll sam* -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Mar 21 06:06 sam3 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Apr 3 22:41 sam2 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 17335 Apr 10 06:07 sam1 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 5 Apr 10 07:53 sam5 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 661 Apr 10 08:16 sam4 I want to list out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2009-11-24 Test::Script(3)