Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can i reinstall unix or solaris if i can't log into the system? Post 95171 by reborg on Sunday 8th of January 2006 07:57:22 PM
Old 01-08-2006
Press
Stop+A on the keyboard.
Put in the CD
Code:
{ok} boot cdrom - install

The spaces on either side of the '-' *are* required.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Log for Sun Solaris 2.6

G'day. I have some questions on the Sun Solaris 2.6 OS. I would appreciate if you could refer me some write up or information on the following questions. 1. Terminal Time Out feature ? - Is this OS capable of doing this ? If the terminal is idle for a certain time of period. The system should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tbtan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

rsh commands not getting executed from Solaris 10 System to AIX System

Hi Friends, I am trying to execute rsh commands from Solaris 10 system to AIX system. When I give; Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ls -l , it gives me an error rshd : 0826-826 The host name for your address is not known At the same time, Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ---- gives me remote shell of... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
25 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Informix install on Solaris(unix) system help

Hi, I have been given the task of installing Informix 10.00 FC5 on a Sunfire V100 running Solaris 10. The plan is to restore the last Informix backup from tape and test it on the V100 which is in our test/devel environment. I have never worked with Informix and Solaris admin is still pretty... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Unable to boot the system "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix"

Hi All, I have installed Solaris 10 on my AMD 64 3000+ system. I was playing with grub commands eeprom and bootadm commands. I screwed my boot-file and now am unable to boot the system. Gets error msg as "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix". I booted the system is filesafe and tried update the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath K V
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reinstall Solaris?

Hey! I'm new here, and excuse my complete lack of knowledge as a total newbie. I've recently started a new job managing a nightclub, and we have 3 sun terminals installed that customers are able to use in the lounge area. However, we can't seem to log onto them as the old tech guy left on bad... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snogthefrog
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

reinstall identical system?

I have my Ubuntu system nicely tailored to my needs, with specific software installed, and other things removed. I'd like to build a new PC, and have the identical software configuration on it. Is there some easy way to export the list of installed software to a file? Then have the new machine... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Upgrading a system from two pCPU to four pCPU, need RHEL reinstall?

Hello guys, I'm running RHEL on a Cisco UCS system provided by four CPU sockets but with only two CPUs filled in (so two CPU sockets are empty). I'd like to upgrade my system adding two other CPUs (of the same type). Do I need to reinstall the OS after the upgrade or RHEL will seamlessly manage... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: azzo1
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Can't reinstall Solaris 11.3 - no more disk slots available

I tried to reinstall GRUB2 on my previous Solaris 11.3 installation but could not figure out why "bootadm install-bootloader" failed. Now I am trying to reinstall Solaris 11.3 instead, over my old Solaris partition. I am using the USB Live media ISO with the GUI. Installation fails with this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Cannot start system-log on Solaris 10

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well.. I am having the following issue that need your advice. I am configuring syslog on Solaris 10. I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf by adding the following entry: *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;auth.debug;user.debug;local6.info @<IP Address of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
7 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)