Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup Tape Restore?
Operating Systems HP-UX Backup Tape Restore? Post 95125 by wim.vandevoort on Friday 6th of January 2006 03:39:05 PM
Old 01-06-2006
why don't you try find out with the command file what type of file ( tar cpio gzipped ) this is ??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restore to disk from tape

I have been restoring from tape some old data. I have done quite a few tapes and have had no problems until now. The command I am running is "dd if=/dev/rmt/1hbn bs=1024 | tar -pBxF - ". This is the second tape have have come up with the error "Not enough space". This tape has a couple of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtoombs
1 Replies

2. AIX

Restore a tape

Hello everyone I have a tape with some information that I got to restore, the tape was made with the fbackup command in a hp box. My question is that I have to restore in a Ibm box, how can I do this ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

5. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I cannot restore my backup from my exabyte tape drive

Hi All, I have an old Unix system used by a client as a backup server.I installed an Exabyte tape drive and on restarting the server and during POSTs, the system recognizes the tape drive with its scsi id. On running the command devstat -IAF, the system sees the tape drive quite well. When... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezleone
1 Replies

7. Solaris

FLAR Tape Backup/Restore

I have a T2000 server that is JumpStarted with Solaris 10 from the JumpStart server. Host name and IP address is changed after that. Then we backup the server using FLAR to tape: root.damas# date; flarcreate -c -t -n "Sol10_cairo_image" -a "engineering@starsolutions.com" -R / /dev/rmt/0n ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 2.6 restore from tape

Hope someone can help me here... I've got to restore an E450 with 300MHz cpus which was running Solaris 2.6 from tape. Regrettably the boot drive has failed. I've access to the first release of Solaris 2.6 CD's and to a set of Solaris 9 CD's. I remember that different E450 CPUs needed different... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pamplemousse
1 Replies

9. AIX

Tape backup/restore Date/time

good morning everyone how can i find the tape backup/restore Date/time? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Portabello
2 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Can't restore my deleted etc from tape

Hi I recently deleted my /etc but I had a backup on tape. I was able to boot the server with a cd-rom and mounted the /c1t0d0s0 which is where the root directory resides. However when I tried to restore the backup with tar xvf /dev/rmt/0n I wasn't successful even though I was able to use the tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
2 Replies
rpm2cpio(1)							   User Commands						       rpm2cpio(1)

NAME
       rpm2cpio - convert Red Hat Package (RPM) to cpio archive

SYNOPSIS
       rpm2cpio [file.rpm]

DESCRIPTION
       The  rpm2cpio  utility converts the .rpm file specified as its sole argument to a cpio archive on standard output. (See NOTES.) If no argu-
       ment is given, an rpm stream is read from standard input. In both cases, rpm2cpio will fail and print a usage message if the standard  out-
       put is a terminal. Therefore, the output is usually redirected to a file or piped through the cpio(1) utility.

EXAMPLES
       Example 1: Converting an rpm file

example% rpm2cpio Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv
       CPIO archive found!
       -rw-r--r--   1 root  root    2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif
       -rw-r--r--   1 root  root   11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz
       -rw-r--r--   1 root  root    1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec
       31 blocks

Example 2: Converting from standard input

example% rpm2cpio < Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv
       CPIO archive found!
       -rw-r--r--   1 root  root    2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif
       -rw-r--r--   1 root  root   11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz
       -rw-r--r--   1 root  root    1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec
       31 blocks

ATTRIBUTES
       See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes:

+-----------------------------+-----------------------------+
       |      ATTRIBUTE TYPE	     |	    ATTRIBUTE VALUE	   |
       |Availability		     |SUNWrpm			   |

SEE ALSO
       cpio(1), attributes(5)

NOTES
       rpm2cpio handles versions 3 and 4 RPMs.

SunOS 5.10							    20 Aug 2001 						       rpm2cpio(1)