Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to delete away text in a file? Post 95062 by forevercalz on Friday 6th of January 2006 05:36:54 AM
Old 01-06-2006
thanks Smilie however i need to put this in a script so i try to write this down:

`sed -e 's_^.\{,2\}:.\{,2\}:.\{,2\} .*<pregate_<pregate_g' p.txt > sample.modified`

however i get this msg :
sed: command garbled: s_^.\{,2\}:.\{,2\}:.\{,2\} .*<pregate_<pregate_g

sorry as im still new to scripting....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete last line from text file

I have a file with which i must remove the last line of the file (the footer). I know how to copy and redirect with tail -1 etc, but how do i delete it permanentely (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete first line from any text file ?

What command I can use to delete first line from any text file ? Thk (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aungomarin
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a particular text without opening the file.

Hi, Could someone tell me how to delete a particular text inside an existing file without opening the file? e.g. I have a text file called mytext.txt which contains three lines of text below and I want to delete “ ;” and delete the second line “b ;” including the carriage return. a ; b ; c ;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete line in text file

Hi, How do I go about deleting a line in a text file. I have used grep to find a particlular word, now how do I delete the line? so far I got: grep -i $keyword file.txt (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Berserk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete block of text in one file based on list in another file

Hi all I currently use the following in shell. #!/bin/sh while read LINE do perl -i -ne "$/ = ''; print if !m'Using archive: ${LINE}'ms;" "datafile" done < "listfile" NOTE the single quote delimiters in the expression. It's highly likely the 'LINE' may very well have characters in it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete one line from a text file

PATTERN="" sed "/$PATTERN/d" $file In the file data is stored as ::: ::: I need to delete only the line containing the PATTERN pls help to point out why the above code is not working (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomsandy
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines from text file?

hi guys, I have very large txt files (200GB) and just want to to delete the first two lines (headers). So far I used sed -i '1,2d' infile.txtbut this command always takes extremely long as it writes all again. Is there a better way to do it (ie just to delete the lines without writing all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuAd
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete text from each record in a file

Hi guys, I have been given a small task to do and I am stuck already. I have to format a file with people's emails address in it ready for pasting into the BCC section of an email. The file looks like this:- bob@ibm.com SMTP BOB SMITH text text text sue@icl.org SMTP Susy Smith text text... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe_evans
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines of a text file based on another text file?

I have 2 TXT files with with 8 columns in them(tab separated). First file has 2000 entries whereas 2nd file has 300 entries. The first file has ALL the lines of second file. Now I need to remove those 300 lines (which are in both files) from first file so that first file's line count become... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete records based on a text file from a text file

Hi Folks, I am a novice and need to build a script in bash. I have 2 text files data.txt file is big file, column 2 is the we need to search and delete in the output. The filter file contains the rows to be deleted. Data.txt state city zone Alabama Huntsville 4 California SanDiego 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)