Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LINUX after $ prompt
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers LINUX after $ prompt Post 95056 by zazzybob on Friday 6th of January 2006 04:23:05 AM
Old 01-06-2006
Try typing startx (if you're in runlevel 3) - if you want X to start automatically then set initdefault to 5 in /etc/inittab as panggou indicates. If you don't want to reboot, type "init q" to get init to re-read inittab. Then type "telinit 5" or "init 5" to transition to runlevel 5.

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

prompt

how do we change the command prompt? right now my prompt says felix% where felix is the machine i´m on. but how do we change it? for example, how can i make it say me% and how do we get it to tell us what directory we are under because when i change into a subdir then the prompt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eeldivady
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

prompt why ?

Even though I give rm -f *, the files are listed for confirmation of removal . Why ? Thanks LS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ls1429
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

linux will not boot, boot to grub prompt

my redhat 9 will not boot. We had a power failure and when the power came back, my redhat linux will not boot. The machine come up to grub prompt. I tried the following from grub prompt root (hd0, then press tab key partition num:0 filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x83... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
7 Replies

4. Solaris

OK prompt

Here is a silly question: I have a Sun 220R and I need to get to the OK prompt. I can't hook up a monitor and keyboard to it. Its on a KVM right now and I also have a console connected to it. I can use PuTTY to get to the console and then connect to the 220R from there. How can I get to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
3 Replies

5. Solaris

No prompt!

We have a Solaris 10 machine. Today a weird issue happened. After login remotely via ssh, the motd appeared BUT there was no prompt! The prompt only appears after pressing Ctrl+d or Ctrl+c. Strange behaviour. I have checked /etc/profile and own user .profile, there is no anamoly. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar63
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux user prompt

Hi, I cant seem to get this right. Lets say I have root privileges and I wanted: a ) edit the user prompt to show "linux1234$" whenever they log-in. also b ) Show a message for users upon logging in. I know a) has something to do with editing PS1. but how to only apply the change for users?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Azi
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to revert default prompt in Linux after setting PS1 command

I have given as: PS1="Karthick>" in linux. Now the prompt changed as: Karthick> Now I need to get back the default prompt . How to achieve this? Thanks in advance (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick nath
13 Replies

9. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux/bash Script only working if executed from shell prompt

Hi, maybe I'm asking a VERY dumb question, but would anybody out there tell me, why this f****** script won't work if executed as a cronjob, but works fine if executed from a shell prompt? #! /bin/bash set PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin date >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beislhur
3 Replies
FGETTY(8)						   System Administrator's Manual						 FGETTY(8)

NAME
fgetty - a small getty for linux SYNOPSIS
fgetty tty [--noclear] [--long-hostname] DESCRIPTION
The command fgetty is normally invoked by init(8), opens a tty port, prompts for a login name and invokes the /bin/login command. OPTIONS
--noclear makes fgetty not clear the screen before displaying the login prompt. --long-hostname makes fgetty display the full hostname in the login prompt. FILES
/etc/issue printed before the login prompt /etc/inittab init(8) configuration file /var/run/utmp the system status file ISSUE ESCAPES
The issue-file (/etc/issue or the file may contain certain escape codes to display the system name, date and time etc. All escape codes consist of a backslash () immediately followed by one of the letters explained below. d the current date. (eg: 2002-01-19) s the system name, the name of the operating system. (eg: Linux) l the name of the current tty line. (eg: tty3) m the architecture identifier of the machine (eg: i586) n the nodename of the machine, also known as the hostname. (eg: sirius) o the domainname of the machine. (eg: (none)) r the release number of the OS. (eg: 2.4.3-i) t the current time. (eg: 14:51:51) u the number of current users logged in. (eg: 4) U the string "1 user" or "<n> users", where <n> is the number of current users logged in. (eg: 4 users) v Insert the version of the OS. (eg: #2 Fre Jan 18 23:05:45 CET 2002) ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
HOST is set to your hostname TERM is set to linux TTY is set to the current tty line RETURN VALUES
1 could not chown/chmod tty device 3 could not open tty device 4 not a typewriter 5 vhangup failed 6 could not open tty (can't happen) 7 dup failed 8 could not exec login 9 read returned an unexpected error 10 unprintable character in login name 11 login name too long (>40) 13 user name started with a dash 23 received SIGQUIT AUTHOR
Felix von Leitner <felix-fgetty@fefe.de> Homepage: http://www.fefe.de/fgetty/ fgetty 2002-01-19 FGETTY(8)