Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LINUX after $ prompt
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers LINUX after $ prompt Post 95052 by vishnu_vaka on Friday 6th of January 2006 02:31:35 AM
Old 01-06-2006
if u installed the gui properly u can try these commands like
gdm
or kdm
or X

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

prompt

how do we change the command prompt? right now my prompt says felix% where felix is the machine i´m on. but how do we change it? for example, how can i make it say me% and how do we get it to tell us what directory we are under because when i change into a subdir then the prompt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eeldivady
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

prompt why ?

Even though I give rm -f *, the files are listed for confirmation of removal . Why ? Thanks LS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ls1429
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

linux will not boot, boot to grub prompt

my redhat 9 will not boot. We had a power failure and when the power came back, my redhat linux will not boot. The machine come up to grub prompt. I tried the following from grub prompt root (hd0, then press tab key partition num:0 filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x83... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
7 Replies

4. Solaris

OK prompt

Here is a silly question: I have a Sun 220R and I need to get to the OK prompt. I can't hook up a monitor and keyboard to it. Its on a KVM right now and I also have a console connected to it. I can use PuTTY to get to the console and then connect to the 220R from there. How can I get to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
3 Replies

5. Solaris

No prompt!

We have a Solaris 10 machine. Today a weird issue happened. After login remotely via ssh, the motd appeared BUT there was no prompt! The prompt only appears after pressing Ctrl+d or Ctrl+c. Strange behaviour. I have checked /etc/profile and own user .profile, there is no anamoly. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar63
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux user prompt

Hi, I cant seem to get this right. Lets say I have root privileges and I wanted: a ) edit the user prompt to show "linux1234$" whenever they log-in. also b ) Show a message for users upon logging in. I know a) has something to do with editing PS1. but how to only apply the change for users?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Azi
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to revert default prompt in Linux after setting PS1 command

I have given as: PS1="Karthick>" in linux. Now the prompt changed as: Karthick> Now I need to get back the default prompt . How to achieve this? Thanks in advance (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick nath
13 Replies

9. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux/bash Script only working if executed from shell prompt

Hi, maybe I'm asking a VERY dumb question, but would anybody out there tell me, why this f****** script won't work if executed as a cronjob, but works fine if executed from a shell prompt? #! /bin/bash set PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin date >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beislhur
3 Replies
MORE(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   MORE(1)

NAME
more -- file perusal filter for crt viewing SYNOPSIS
more [-dlfpcsu] [-num] [+/pattern] [+linenum] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
More is a filter for paging through text one screenful at a time. This version is especially primitive. Users should realize that less(1) provides more(1) emulation and extensive enhancements. OPTIONS
Command line options are described below. Options are also taken from the environment variable MORE (make sure to precede them with a dash (``-'')) but command line options will override them. -num This option specifies an integer which is the screen size (in lines). -d more will prompt the user with the message "[Press space to continue, 'q' to quit.]" and will display "[Press 'h' for instructions.]" instead of ringing the bell when an illegal key is pressed. -l more usually treats ^L (form feed) as a special character, and will pause after any line that contains a form feed. The -l option will prevent this behavior. -f Causes more to count logical, rather than screen lines (i.e., long lines are not folded). -p Do not scroll. Instead, clear the whole screen and then display the text. -c Do not scroll. Instead, paint each screen from the top, clearing the remainder of each line as it is displayed. -s Squeeze multiple blank lines into one. -u Suppress underlining. +/ The +/ option specifies a string that will be searched for before each file is displayed. +num Start at line number num. COMMANDS
Interactive commands for more are based on vi(1). Some commands may be preceded by a decimal number, called k in the descriptions below. In the following descriptions, ^X means control-X. h or ? Help: display a summary of these commands. If you forget all the other commands, remember this one. SPACE Display next k lines of text. Defaults to current screen size. z Display next k lines of text. Defaults to current screen size. Argument becomes new default. RETURN Display next k lines of text. Defaults to 1. Argument becomes new default. d or ^D Scroll k lines. Default is current scroll size, initially 11. Argument becomes new default. q or Q or INTERRUPT Exit. s Skip forward k lines of text. Defaults to 1. f Skip forward k screenfuls of text. Defaults to 1. b or ^B Skip backwards k screenfuls of text. Defaults to 1. Only works with files, not pipes. ' Go to place where previous search started. = Display current line number. /pattern Search for kth occurrence of regular expression. Defaults to 1. n Search for kth occurrence of last r.e. Defaults to 1. !<cmd> or :!<cmd> Execute <cmd> in a subshell v Start up an editor at current line. The editor is taken from the environment variable VISUAL if defined, or EDITOR if VISUAL is not defined, or defaults to "vi" if neither VISUAL nor EDITOR is defined. ^L Redraw screen :n Go to kth next file. Defaults to 1. :p Go to kth previous file. Defaults to 1. :f Display current file name and line number . Repeat previous command ENVIRONMENT
More utilizes the following environment variables, if they exist: MORE This variable may be set with favored options to more. SHELL Current shell in use (normally set by the shell at login time). TERM Specifies terminal type, used by more to get the terminal characteristics necessary to manipulate the screen. SEE ALSO
vi(1), less(1) AUTHORS
Eric Shienbrood, UC Berkeley Modified by Geoff Peck, UCB to add underlining, single spacing Modified by John Foderaro, UCB to add -c and MORE environment variable HISTORY
The more command appeared in 3.0BSD. This man page documents more version 5.19 (Berkeley 6/29/88), which is currently in use in the Linux community. Documentation was produced using several other versions of the man page, and extensive inspection of the source code. AVAILABILITY
The more command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux 0.98 December 25, 1992 Linux 0.98