Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: command to list file size
Operating Systems HP-UX command to list file size Post 95035 by RTM on Thursday 5th of January 2006 08:25:47 PM
Old 01-05-2006
Try either ls or du command from the directory you are starting on
ls -lR will list all files and du -s will list total usage. Look at the man pages for those commands for more options and the man page for the df command for complete filesystems.

Example:

[localhost ~]$ pwd
/home/hunter
[localhost ~]$ du -s .
49864 .
[localhost ~]$ ls -l
total 252
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hunt staff 33 Nov 25 07:09 asfile
-rwxr--r-- 1 hunt staff 179 Sep 21 10:53 control
-rwxr--r-- 1 hunt staff 210 Sep 27 18:02 cutjunk
drwxr-xr-x 4 hunt staff 4096 Dec 2 21:23 Desktop
-rwxr--r-- 1 hunt staff 1197 Jul 19 12:26 ds
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hunt staff 33 Nov 25 07:08 ebfile
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hunt staff 0 Dec 19 13:40 fall
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hunt staff 0 Dec 19 13:40 f-all
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hunt staff 57 Nov 18 08:24 file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to list Files less than or equal to 2k size

Hi, *.xml files stored on date wise folders. I need to extract *.xml files from all the folders. File size is lessthan or equal to 2K. Please let me know command or some shell program to due this job on linux m/c This is urgent, Thanks in advance - Bache Gowda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List File size

Hello all, I have a directory filling up. I need to determine the size of the files in the directory. How do I do that, what command should I run when I am in the directory? Next question, can I expand the partition size? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
10 Replies

3. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Total file size of a subset list

Hello! I'm trying to find out the total file size of a subset list in a directory. For example, I do not need to know the total file size of all the files in a directory, but I need to know what the total size is of say, "ls -l *FEB08*" in a directory. Is there any easy way of doing this? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tekster757
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list a file size, but not its name?

If I have a file x.txt that is 8 bytes... I want to enter >> x.txt 8 I've played around with ls, and du... and they always list the file name. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ordano
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort by size, then list file in each directory

Hi, I have directories with name like: aaa bbb ccc ... I would like to to see which directories are the largest and then list the files within each. I have success using: du -ks * | sort -rin | head -n 20 which gives me an output like: 120 bbb 27 ccc 3 aaa ... I would like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChatPerdu
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to list our directory size

Is there any command that can list out all the files size including directory in 1 command? `ls` will only give 2048 for a directory, which i'm looking for the actual size. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to get the list of file with size in AUX

to get the list of file name with size Example: rwxrwxrwx 1 cm x 562KB Nov 6 19:22 a rwxrwxrwx 1 cm x 562MB Nov 6 19:22 a edit by bakunin: Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code and data. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

List of file name with size

how to get the file name list with size descriptive in hp-ux Required output: permission link user group size(with MB,KB,GB etc) date time name (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel
7 Replies

10. HP-UX

How to list file size on HPUX?

I used to use ls -l cut to detrmine file size, and google searches didn't come up with anything else but 'stat' which doesn't appear on HPUX. I discovered the humble 'wc -c' which does this job very neatly, and thought I would share it. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tbochan
7 Replies
CHGRP(1)							   User Commands							  CHGRP(1)

NAME
chgrp - change group ownership SYNOPSIS
chgrp [OPTION]... GROUP FILE... chgrp [OPTION]... --reference=RFILE FILE... DESCRIPTION
Change the group of each FILE to GROUP. With --reference, change the group of each FILE to that of RFILE. -c, --changes like verbose but report only when a change is made -f, --silent, --quiet suppress most error messages -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every file processed --dereference affect the referent of each symbolic link (this is the default), rather than the symbolic link itself -h, --no-dereference affect symbolic links instead of any referenced file (useful only on systems that can change the ownership of a symlink) --no-preserve-root do not treat '/' specially (the default) --preserve-root fail to operate recursively on '/' --reference=RFILE use RFILE's group rather than specifying a GROUP value -R, --recursive operate on files and directories recursively The following options modify how a hierarchy is traversed when the -R option is also specified. If more than one is specified, only the final one takes effect. -H if a command line argument is a symbolic link to a directory, traverse it -L traverse every symbolic link to a directory encountered -P do not traverse any symbolic links (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit EXAMPLES
chgrp staff /u Change the group of /u to "staff". chgrp -hR staff /u Change the group of /u and subfiles to "staff". AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report chgrp translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
chown(1), chown(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/chgrp> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) chgrp invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 CHGRP(1)