Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: command to list file size
Operating Systems HP-UX command to list file size Post 95035 by RTM on Thursday 5th of January 2006 08:25:47 PM
Old 01-05-2006
Try either ls or du command from the directory you are starting on
ls -lR will list all files and du -s will list total usage. Look at the man pages for those commands for more options and the man page for the df command for complete filesystems.

Example:

[localhost ~]$ pwd
/home/hunter
[localhost ~]$ du -s .
49864 .
[localhost ~]$ ls -l
total 252
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hunt staff 33 Nov 25 07:09 asfile
-rwxr--r-- 1 hunt staff 179 Sep 21 10:53 control
-rwxr--r-- 1 hunt staff 210 Sep 27 18:02 cutjunk
drwxr-xr-x 4 hunt staff 4096 Dec 2 21:23 Desktop
-rwxr--r-- 1 hunt staff 1197 Jul 19 12:26 ds
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hunt staff 33 Nov 25 07:08 ebfile
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hunt staff 0 Dec 19 13:40 fall
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hunt staff 0 Dec 19 13:40 f-all
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hunt staff 57 Nov 18 08:24 file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to list Files less than or equal to 2k size

Hi, *.xml files stored on date wise folders. I need to extract *.xml files from all the folders. File size is lessthan or equal to 2K. Please let me know command or some shell program to due this job on linux m/c This is urgent, Thanks in advance - Bache Gowda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List File size

Hello all, I have a directory filling up. I need to determine the size of the files in the directory. How do I do that, what command should I run when I am in the directory? Next question, can I expand the partition size? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
10 Replies

3. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Total file size of a subset list

Hello! I'm trying to find out the total file size of a subset list in a directory. For example, I do not need to know the total file size of all the files in a directory, but I need to know what the total size is of say, "ls -l *FEB08*" in a directory. Is there any easy way of doing this? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tekster757
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list a file size, but not its name?

If I have a file x.txt that is 8 bytes... I want to enter >> x.txt 8 I've played around with ls, and du... and they always list the file name. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ordano
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort by size, then list file in each directory

Hi, I have directories with name like: aaa bbb ccc ... I would like to to see which directories are the largest and then list the files within each. I have success using: du -ks * | sort -rin | head -n 20 which gives me an output like: 120 bbb 27 ccc 3 aaa ... I would like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChatPerdu
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to list our directory size

Is there any command that can list out all the files size including directory in 1 command? `ls` will only give 2048 for a directory, which i'm looking for the actual size. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to get the list of file with size in AUX

to get the list of file name with size Example: rwxrwxrwx 1 cm x 562KB Nov 6 19:22 a rwxrwxrwx 1 cm x 562MB Nov 6 19:22 a edit by bakunin: Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code and data. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

List of file name with size

how to get the file name list with size descriptive in hp-ux Required output: permission link user group size(with MB,KB,GB etc) date time name (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel
7 Replies

10. HP-UX

How to list file size on HPUX?

I used to use ls -l cut to detrmine file size, and google searches didn't come up with anything else but 'stat' which doesn't appear on HPUX. I discovered the humble 'wc -c' which does this job very neatly, and thought I would share it. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tbochan
7 Replies
CHGRP(1)							   User Commands							  CHGRP(1)

NAME
chgrp - change group ownership SYNOPSIS
chgrp [OPTION]... GROUP FILE... chgrp [OPTION]... --reference=RFILE FILE... DESCRIPTION
Change the group of each FILE to GROUP. With --reference, change the group of each FILE to that of RFILE. -c, --changes like verbose but report only when a change is made --dereference affect the referent of each symbolic link (this is the default), rather than the symbolic link itself -h, --no-dereference affect each symbolic link instead of any referenced file (useful only on systems that can change the ownership of a symlink) --no-preserve-root do not treat `/' specially (the default) --preserve-root fail to operate recursively on `/' -f, --silent, --quiet suppress most error messages --reference=RFILE use RFILE's group rather than specifying a GROUP value -R, --recursive operate on files and directories recursively -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every file processed The following options modify how a hierarchy is traversed when the -R option is also specified. If more than one is specified, only the final one takes effect. -H if a command line argument is a symbolic link to a directory, traverse it -L traverse every symbolic link to a directory encountered -P do not traverse any symbolic links (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit EXAMPLES
chgrp staff /u Change the group of /u to "staff". chgrp -hR staff /u Change the group of /u and subfiles to "staff". AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report chgrp bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report chgrp translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for chgrp is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and chgrp programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'chgrp invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 CHGRP(1)