Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers different way to echo varibles...help Post 94995 by Perderabo on Thursday 5th of January 2006 12:14:44 PM
Old 01-05-2006
I think that csh has eval, so try this:

#! /bin/csh
foreach id (DB4 GH4 CD4)

eval echo \$${id}sf \$${id}sfk \$${id}pp
end

exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

environmental varibles

flavor -- AIX 4.2.1 I am putting together some HTML pages, some of which contain forms. The problem pops up when I attempt to pass variables (from the forms) from one HTML page to a cgi-like page created using ksh. I have used the $1 - $9 vars, but they do not work with the passing. With... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xiix
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic Varibles problem

All, Any chance someone could help me with this.... The script is reading from a file and for every line of input to the loop I am trying to assign a new varible. When i run the script I get the below errors. I have come to a bit of a dead end so any pointers/help would be very much... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oconnon2
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create ENV varibles

Hi, I want create env variable for "/ramakrsihna/scripts" help me on this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

split varibles and store fields into shell varible array

I need to split a long varible which is a whole line read from a file into fields and store them in an array, the fields are delimited by pipe and a field may contain white spaces. I tried the following concept test and it has problem with field 5 which contain a space, appearently so because... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gratus
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple varibles in file

Working on a way to speed up my script output. I have a multiline file that I pull each line as a variable and post it on a webpage. It needs some help as it works but slow. I think I have too many cat, grep and sed going on but don't know what would work better. #!/bin/sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing varibles as a string argument ?

For example test.sh: test="teststring" cmd=$1 $cmd For some reason I'm NOT seeing "teststring" when I type: ./test.sh "echo $test" Any ideas on how to get around this? I've tried commands like: ./test.sh "echo $($test)" ./test.sh "echo '$test'" And many variations to no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: secops
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help Setting Path and Environment Varibles

Hello all, I have a Mac OS X (10.7), and I need to set environment variables and paths for some programs I will be running. I have followed instructions and searched the Web for where to do this, but I can't seem to find an answer. I have tried using the VIM editor to write them into my .login,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tyler_92
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)