Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Environment Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Environment Script Post 94977 by acheepi on Thursday 5th of January 2006 09:12:54 AM
Old 01-05-2006
Unix Environment Script

Hi,

I was wondering what is the best way to write a centralized unix environment script. This script would set the application environment variables per specific environment. e.g. dev, qa, test or prod.

We currenlty have 2 types of env files e.g. .envfile and set.env per environment. These contain all the necessary application variables that need to be set. And these are set through the calling script via . .envfile or . set.env (we dot the file to set/export the variables.) We would like to consolidate these env files.

How could we accomplish to have only one env shell script to set 4 different environemnts? I guess this need to be based on "host" and/or "user" per environment.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this topic.

Thanks in advance,

AC

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MixWindows UNIX environment

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in this area. The company that I work at is trying to bring a Windows 2000 server online and have the UNIX workstations and Clients connect to it like it is anothe UNIX box. They have been using Windows Services for UNIX to do this but are having... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaikara1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

personalizing my unix environment

I share a login id/password with several folks so I don't like to change the .profile or other environment variables (e. g., set ignorecase in vi) that other users may expect to be set. Any suggestions to tailor my environment that will not affect other users (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: artjaniger
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix environment issues

I'm having a problem with AIX 4.3.3 and I figured someone here might be able to help me. I'm running a program 24/7 and I want to handle the day light savings issue without restarting the program since my users won't like it. I don't have the option of setting the time for the DLS in advance,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eff
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix develop environment

hi! i am Carlos i study @ UABC (Autonomy University of Baja California)... i have a final project.... i need to make a presentation of the new... unix develop environment... but... i have some problems with that.... could you tell me something to help me? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nx GT-R
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

programming for unix environment

i have to make a menu based program to allow iusers to select the system information about their machine that they want. All i have been taught is how to enter commands at the command prompt like simple commands such as pwd and cd directory to change directory (not even sure if that is right). But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carlvernon
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix environment

Hi, Can anyone recommend a site where one can practise UNIX scripting . I don't have UNIX on my machine however I have heard there are some sites which let you log on to their servers for free. Thanks Rohit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitv
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

common UNIX script which is to work in HP and SUN environment

I have two different UNIX scripts for updating Co-ordinate points which are working fine seperately in HP and SUN environments. But I am trying to write a common UNIX script which is to work in HP and SUN environment. The following are the scripts i am using SUN: #!/bin/ksh info () {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar2yk
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send email using shell script in UNIX, Is any environment setup required in Mac OS X ?

Hi All, I am using Mac OS X (Leopard OS). I am very new to UNIX. My requirement is that, by running a shell script, I create a log file. So I have to send a mail having that log file attached. What I tried to do is, I simply tried to check,whether this direct command works or not. So I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afreen
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the environment name while calling java program from unix script?

Hi, I'm trying to test one unix shell script in dev environment. But I'm not sure how to pass the environment in my java program calling code. I'm trying to use -DconsumerEnv="DEV" but unfortunately I get 'null' while trying to print the value from java class. System.out.println("Environment: "+... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramit
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Datastage environment variables in Unix script

Hi All, I am using ETL tool Datastage and is installed on Linux environment. Few environment variables are set in datastage. Now my requirement is to use those environment variables in a unix script. Is there any option I can do it? Sugeestions from people working on datastage and linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bghosh
1 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)                                                                                                                NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)