Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting exit on error - is it possible? Post 94958 by vino on Thursday 5th of January 2006 05:07:24 AM
Old 01-05-2006
Redirect fd 2 to 1 and fd 1 to /dev/null

See this demo..
Code:
[/tmp]$ ls -l tmp
ls: tmp: No such file or directory
[/tmp]$ ls -l unix
ls: unix: No such file or directory
[/tmp]$ ls -l unix tmp 2>&1 1>/dev/null
ls: unix: No such file or directory
ls: tmp: No such file or directory
[/tmp]$ STR=$(ls -l unix tmp 2>&1 1>/dev/null)
[/tmp]$ echo $STR
ls: unix: No such file or directory ls: tmp: No such file or directory
[/tmp]$ [[ $STR = *No* ]] && echo "Error" || echo "No error"
Error
[/tmp]$ ls -l /tmp 2>&1 1>/dev/null
[/tmp]$ STR=$(ls -l /tmp 2>&1 1>/dev/null)
[/tmp]$ echo $STR

[/tmp]$ [[ $STR = *No* ]] && echo "Error" || echo "No error"
No error
[/tmp]$

vino

Last edited by vino; 01-05-2006 at 06:20 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAM Error non-zero exit status

Our machines HP-UX 10.20 Ace, Attempting to run various areas of SAM such as Backup and Restore, Printers and Plotters any areas of Time, etc give errors like the following: unexpected exit: process /usr/sam/lbin/samx/ -C -p 1358 -s br_sa_bdevs /usr/sam/lib///br.ui exited with a non-zero exit... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: real-chess
0 Replies

3. Linux

tar error exit delayed form pervious error

Hi when use "tar cpvzf /dev/st0 --exclude=/proc --exclude-/lost+found --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/media --exclude=/sys /" to tape, get the following message "tar: error exit delayed form pervious error", What is the mean ? Please suggest some solution for these errors. thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chayato
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit out of a while loop with error

im running a while loop as a file watcher, with incremental counter on the retries..however when the retries reach it's limit i want it exit and echo and error and stop the batch. Im not sure the code i have will do that already... Here is what i have that works: #!/usr/bin/ksh count=0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

aCC exit error

Hi guys I would just like to know if aCC supports the command exit(0); in c++? I am always getting the error below: Error 328: "ac5.C", line 37 # Function 'exit' has not been defined yet; cannot call. exit(0); ^^^^ Anyone had this problem? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

If Error then Exit

HI I am just using cd Command and i want exit if error. Ex. cd /hp/pp/0720 If above folder in not available then stop the script Folder is change every day Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exit a script with error ?

Hi, I have a script ABC which calls another script XYZ. Function of XYZ is to ftp a file from one server to another. code for ABC: #!/bin/ksh PATH=/usr/bin home/user/xyz "$@" exit $? ~ code for xyz: #!/bin/ksh HOSTNAME=$1 SRCNAME=$2 DSTNAME=$3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Salil Gupta
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP exit and error codes

I have a script which connects to a remote server via FTP and gets some file from there. #!/bin/bash /usr/bin/ftp -n remote.hostname.com <<EOF quote USER user123 quote PASS password123 lcd /dir1/dir2/dir3 cd / mget file_pattern* close bye EOF rc=$? if ] ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect error and exit

Hi, I am using Jenkins and have integrated JMeter for testing. JMeter is generating a file with results properly using shell script. I have to validate the results and exit the shell with non-zero so my jenkins job gets failed. I tried multiple ways to grep the output file and read the results... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sitaram
2 Replies
xfs_estimate(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   xfs_estimate(8)

NAME
xfs_estimate - estimate the space that an XFS filesystem will take SYNOPSIS
xfs_estimate [ -h ] [ -b blocksize ] [ -i logsize ] [ -e logsize ] [ -v ] directory ... xfs_estimate -V DESCRIPTION
For each directory argument, xfs_estimate estimates the space that directory would take if it were copied to an XFS filesystem. xfs_esti- mate does not cross mount points. The following definitions are used: KB = *1024 MB = *1024*1024 GB = *1024*1024*1024 The xfs_estimate options are: -b blocksize Use blocksize instead of the default blocksize of 4096 bytes. The modifier k can be used after the number to indicate multiplica- tion by 1024. For example, xfs_estimate -b 64k / requests an estimate of the space required by the directory / on an XFS filesystem using a blocksize of 64K (65536) bytes. -v Display more information, formatted. -h Display usage message. -i, -e logsize Use logsize instead of the default log size of 1000 blocks. -i refers to an internal log, while -e refers to an external log. The modifiers k or m can be used after the number to indicate multiplication by 1024 or 1048576, respectively. For example, xfs_estimate -i 1m / requests an estimate of the space required by the directory / on an XFS filesystem using an internal log of 1 megabyte. -V Print the version number and exits. EXAMPLES
% xfs_estimate -e 10m /var/tmp /var/tmp will take about 4.2 megabytes with the external log using 2560 blocks or about 10.0 megabytes % xfs_estimate -v -e 10m /var/tmp directory bsize blocks megabytes logsize /var/tmp 4096 792 4.0MB 10485760 % xfs_estimate -v /var/tmp directory bsize blocks megabytes logsize /var/tmp 4096 3352 14.0MB 10485760 % xfs_estimate /var/tmp /var/tmp will take about 14.0 megabytes xfs_estimate(8)