Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: running commands from script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting running commands from script Post 94897 by owijust on Wednesday 4th of January 2006 02:10:54 PM
Old 01-04-2006
Question running dirs command from script

I'm new to unix and I have a fairly simple problem:

Lets say I am in a specific directory and I run the command: "dirs" ,

I get an output of all the folders that i pushed into the stack (as expected),
buut,
when when I create a script (called test):
Code:
#! /bin/csh

dirs

and then i run: ./test

It outputs only the last directory that I pushed into the stack (as opposed to the whole stack).For some reason the Script does'nt recognize the stack that I have in the prompt.

whyyy?? Pleeaase help

Last edited by owijust; 01-04-2006 at 03:45 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

running script in cron - with ssh commands - not working

I ran an ssh command to run a script on a remote server ssh -l <user> <servername> /path/to/script/scriptname This works fine - and the script is executed correctly. However - I put this command into a script, that I want to run from cron every hour, to execute the file on the remote... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
31 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running a simple script file with multiple commands

I'm trying to run a script file with multiple commands that I would normally type into the command line. The commands are: #!/bin/bash diff Test1.o0 /usr3/ronelso4/Desktop/verificationKPC/Test1.o0 > differences2 diff Test1a.o0 /usr3/ronelso4/Desktop/verificationKPC/Test1a.o0 >> differences2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knelson
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running multiple unix commands in a single script

Hi, I would like to write a script with include more than 6 unix commands. my script like below: echo " script started" ls -ld bdf | grep "rama" tail -10 log.txt ... .. ... now, i want to run above unix commands one by one. example: first the ls -ld command will be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running unix commands in a perl script

Executing two unix commads via perl script one after another e.g: make clean bsub -i -q short make have tried using exec but the second command doesnt executes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajroshan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alert for long running commands in script

Hi All, Is there a way in which a long running command can terminate by itself inside a script? I need something like below: echo Start <command> exit If the <command> is taking more than say 100 seconds to complete, the script should exit without manual intervention. Thanks, Deepak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script editing text files and running commands

Okay this will probably have multiple parts to it but I don't really want to trouble you guys with more help because I'm a total noob so I can just do the first part by hand (it's just editing a few hundred lines of text in a file; I have to do the same thing on each line and I'm sure there's a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script and commands through SSH

Hello All, I am trying to run some simulations through SSH from my mac on our university SOLARIS system. My problem is that whenever I want to execute a command I get an error which says "Invalid argument". Maybe I should explain more what I want to do and what I did. Firstly I installed a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apfik
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with running commands from shell script

I'm trying to copy files from a remote windows server to Unix server. I was successfully able to copy files from windows server using command prompt but when I run these commands from a script it's not working as expected. commands used: sftp user@remoteserver.com lcd local_dir cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh7590
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running set of commands in remote servers in shell script

Hi Wishing to all. I am very new joined in an organization as a unix system administrator. I need a help in preparing a script for a report. i have a file contains all of the linux/ubuntu servers line by line around 140 servers. vi servers.txt nh01 nh02 nh03 bh01 bh04 - - :wq (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaraswamy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script running multiple commands at once

Hi All, I have put a perl script together to go and collect some information from multiple nodes/endpoints. The script works absolutly fine however I want to make it quicker. You will see in the below that my script calls an expect script called ssh_run_cmd2.exp followed by the IP of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
7 Replies
stack(n)							Tcl Data Structures							  stack(n)

NAME
stack - Create and manipulate stack objects SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require struct ?1.2.1? stackName option ?arg arg ...? stackName clear stackName destroy stackName peek ?count? stackName pop ?count? stackName push item ?item ...? stackName size DESCRIPTION
The ::struct::stack command creates a new stack object with an associated global Tcl command whose name is stackName. This command may be used to invoke various operations on the stack. It has the following general form: stackName option ?arg arg ...? Option and the args determine the exact behavior of the command. The following commands are possible for stack objects: stackName clear Remove all items from the stack. stackName destroy Destroy the stack, including its storage space and associated command. stackName peek ?count? Return the top count items of the stack, without removing them from the stack. If count is not specified, it defaults to 1. If count is 1, the result is a simple string; otherwise, it is a list. If specified, count must be greater than or equal to 1. If there are no items on the stack, this command will return count empty strings. stackName pop ?count? Return the top count items of the stack, and remove them from the stack. If count is not specified, it defaults to 1. If count is 1, the result is a simple string; otherwise, it is a list. If specified, count must be greater than or equal to 1. If there are no items on the stack, this command will return count empty strings. stackName push item ?item ...? Push the item or items specified onto the stack. If more than one item is given, they will be pushed in the order they are listed. stackName size Return the number of items on the stack. KEYWORDS
queue, matrix, tree, graph struct 1.2.1 stack(n)