Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Kernel use of real memory
Operating Systems AIX Kernel use of real memory Post 94774 by alpha(*)test on Tuesday 3rd of January 2006 11:29:23 PM
Old 01-04-2006
size check

the RAM in your machine will have a device file assiciated with it in the /dev directory... usually its /dev/mem0, if u have another RAM its /dev/mem0 and /dev/mem1 etc.....

to find out the real memory, issue the command....

lsattr -El /dev/mem0
(or)
lsattr -El mem0

do this for each RAM device on your system.....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

kernel, memory and patches information

I kind of forget easily. Is anyone remember the command to find kernel, memory and patches information of HPUX 11.0 machine? Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teh Tiack Ein
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

memory usage : kernel, oracle, other users

Hello, I'm looking for a command or script that could permit me to know what is memory usage group by HP-UX kernel, oracle processes and other users (specific software). A command like 'top' but for all processes and not only for 12 max could be very useful Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thierryUX
4 Replies

3. AIX

Strange Real Memory usage behavior

We have 2 Rs6000 S-85 Each initially had/have 6 processors and 8 GIG of RAM each Node 1 we added 14 processors and 32 GIG of RAM On May 19. (11 days ago) My memory utilization reporting for node 1 showed a spike in available memory 25-30GB for May 19 to 25 . I kind of expected this because I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 2990

There is a tomcat webserver running that is used to host a java application. Sometime the service goes down with error logs. I see the following error messages in /var/log/messages: kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 2990 (co). Out of Memory: Killed process 25671 (httpd) Out of Memory:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

' ps v PPID' command and real memory

hi Guys, Just wondering whether if I execute the ps v 1818740 and I get the below ouput what column should I use If I need to calculate how much real memory (private) is use by those process. Thanks. PID TTY STAT TIME PGIN SIZE RSS LIM TSIZ TRS %CPU %MEM COMMAND ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hariza
1 Replies

6. Programming

Access process memory from kernel space

Hi, I'm currently working on a project to help the analysis of malware from inside the kernel to avoid any kind of detection. So I need to be able to read the process memory from my kernel module. As of now, I'm stuck at converting a virtual memory address (for example 0x080483e8 found... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anonymoose
3 Replies

7. Solaris

real memory consumption of a process

hi pmap, prstat and ps gives the RSS which is shared memory. I need to know the consumption of real memory. how to do that? thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

8. AIX

Real memory usage is reaching 99.99%

Hi i am new to aix , we are using aix 5.3 version and model is 510 and 520 model servers. in our servers contains 8 gb ram. but servers average ram usage is reaching 99.9% , can any body help on this , is any impact if memory usage reach 99.9%. Regards Balaji Poola (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balajipoola007
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

PAE kernel memory limit

What is the limit of LowMem and HighMem in PAE enable kernel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to check memory used or consumed by OS kernel

I am trying to check how much memory is consumed by OS Kernel using below command, Is this the correct command that I'm using grep Slab /proc/meminfo Output : Slab: 3106824 kB IF I convert KB to GB, It means 2.9 GB of RAM is consumed Below details for reference ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
4 Replies
MEM(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    MEM(4)

NAME
mem, kmem, port - system memory, kernel memory and system ports DESCRIPTION
/dev/mem is a character device file that is an image of the main memory of the computer. It may be used, for example, to examine (and even patch) the system. Byte addresses in /dev/mem are interpreted as physical memory addresses. References to nonexistent locations cause errors to be returned. Examining and patching is likely to lead to unexpected results when read-only or write-only bits are present. Since Linux 2.6.26, and depending on the architecture, the CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM kernel configuration option limits the areas which can be accessed through this file. For example: on x86, RAM access is not allowed but accessing memory-mapped PCI regions is. It is typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/mem c 1 1 chown root:kmem /dev/mem The file /dev/kmem is the same as /dev/mem, except that the kernel virtual memory rather than physical memory is accessed. Since Linux 2.6.26, this file is available only if the CONFIG_DEVKMEM kernel configuration option is enabled. It is typically created by: mknod -m 640 /dev/kmem c 1 2 chown root:kmem /dev/kmem /dev/port is similar to /dev/mem, but the I/O ports are accessed. It is typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/port c 1 4 chown root:kmem /dev/port FILES
/dev/mem /dev/kmem /dev/port SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), ioperm(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2015-01-02 MEM(4)