Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regular expression question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regular expression question Post 94193 by Ygor on Wednesday 28th of December 2005 03:32:55 AM
Old 12-28-2005
Try...
Code:
$ echo "
>   /blah1/blah2/foo_v123/blah3
>   /blah1/blah2/foo/blah3
> " | sed 's:foo[^/]*/::'

/blah1/blah2/blah3
  /blah1/blah2/blah3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about regular expression

why does * highlight everything in it... shouldn't it only highlight capital letters? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brentdeback
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression Question

Hi - I am trying to ignore the following items from a list. lp0 lp11 lp12 lp14 The following code works fine, but I was wondering if there was a tidier way to write the lp regular expression? egrep -v "lp" Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krispy
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question (regular expression related)

anyone knows what does this regular expression match for? \(3,\).*\1.*\1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metalwarrior
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression question

Folks; I have 3 questions & any help with them would be really appreciated: If i have a list of directories, for example: /fs/pas/2007/4/6/2634210/admdat/examin /fs/pas/2007/4/6/2634210/admdat2/stat /fs/pas/2007/4/6/2634210/admdat3/data /fs/pas/2007/4/6/2634210/im_2/0b.dcm Now; my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on Regular Expression

Folks; Could some one tell me what these 2 regular expressions mean: */(*)/* (\d\d\d\d/\d\d/\d\d/*?) (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy Perl regular expression question

Hey all! what matching expression might I use to match all characters included in \W, EXCEPT < and > ? for example: @tokens=split(/ ???? /,$string); I've dubiously tried \W but this clips off the first letter of each "token", for some reason ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: applefat
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a question about a regular expression

I like to loop a list of files which named file1, file2, file3, file4, etc if I like to loop them all over for f in file1, file2, file3, file4 do echo "processing" $f done how to use a regular expression to loop file$i instead? Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgreen
4 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression Question

Hello, I'm trying to rename a bunch of files that were named incorrectly. I know a little about regular expressions but I'm not very good at them. Here is the image of the file names: http://i47.tinypic.com/np2gxi.jpg I'm trying to change the 20111116 at the beginning to 20101116 for all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nastyn8
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expression question

Hi guys, I need a help with a query. Basically i want to know the difference between (0+01)* and ((0+01)*)* . It seems whatever string can be generated by the first RE can also be generated by second and they should essentially be same. Am i missing something? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srkmish
1 Replies
SPLIT(3)								 1								  SPLIT(3)

split - Split string into array by regular expression

SYNOPSIS
array split (string $pattern, string $string, [int $limit = -1]) DESCRIPTION
Splits a $string into array by regular expression. Warning This function has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0. Relying on this feature is highly discouraged. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - Case sensitive regular expression. If you want to split on any of the characters which are considered special by regular expressions, you'll need to escape them first. If you think split(3) (or any other regex function, for that matter) is doing some- thing weird, please read the file regex.7, included in the regex/ subdirectory of the PHP distribution. It's in manpage format, so you'll want to do something along the lines of man /usr/local/src/regex/regex.7 in order to read it. o $string - The input string. o $limit - If $limit is set, the returned array will contain a maximum of $limit elements with the last element containing the whole rest of $string. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array of strings, each of which is a substring of $string formed by splitting it on boundaries formed by the case-sensitive regular expression $pattern. If there are n occurrences of $pattern, the returned array will contain n+1 items. For example, if there is no occurrence of $pattern, an array with only one element will be returned. Of course, this is also true if $string is empty. If an error occurs, split(3) returns FALSE. EXAMPLES
Example #1 split(3) example To split off the first four fields from a line from /etc/passwd: <?php list($user, $pass, $uid, $gid, $extra) = split(":", $passwd_line, 5); ?> Example #2 split(3) example To parse a date which may be delimited with slashes, dots, or hyphens: <?php // Delimiters may be slash, dot, or hyphen $date = "04/30/1973"; list($month, $day, $year) = split('[/.-]', $date); echo "Month: $month; Day: $day; Year: $year<br /> "; ?> NOTES
Note As of PHP 5.3.0, the regex extension is deprecated in favor of the PCRE extension. Calling this function will issue an E_DEPRECATED notice. See the list of differences for help on converting to PCRE. Tip split(3) is deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0. preg_split(3) is the suggested alternative to this function. If you don't require the power of regular expressions, it is faster to use explode(3), which doesn't incur the overhead of the regular expression engine. Tip For users looking for a way to emulate Perl's @chars = split('', $str) behaviour, please see the examples for preg_split(3) or str_split(3). SEE ALSO
preg_split(3), spliti(3), str_split(3), explode(3), implode(3), chunk_split(3), wordwrap(3). PHP Documentation Group SPLIT(3)