Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers script for nums in Hexadecimal base Post 9409 by Perderabo on Friday 26th of October 2001 08:51:58 AM
Old 10-26-2001
ksh has built-in arithmetic that works in any base. Your script is compatable with ksh. If you just add a first line: "typeset -i16 i", ksh will output the value of i in hexadecimal. The format is ugly. It will be 16#1 16#2 16#3 etc. To get rid of that leading 16#, you can do this:
echo ${i#16#}

And you can switch to ksh arithmetic as well. Instead of:
i=`expr $i + 1`
try this:
((i=i+1))

The built in arithmetic is much faster than using an external process like expr.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert hexadecimal to decimal base

Hello ! Does anyone knows how can I convert hexadecimal to decimal base in the ksh or csh script ?? Thanks ! Witt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: witt
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Hexadecimal Value

I have a record in a file that ends with the new line character "\n". How dio I determine the hexadecimal value for that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need script to convert number in hexadecimal

hi , i need a script to convert number into hexadecimal base for example: 237=>ED it s very important for me thank you in advance for you help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mips
5 Replies

4. AIX

Menu base AIX script

Hi, I am trying to create a menu on AIX systen for operators in our office. Please suggest how can I loop back to menu by pressing any key from a online running file. For example I can view the Database alert log file by tail -f command but how should I loop back to menu again. If I press <ctrl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu Base AIX Script

Hi, I am trying to create a menu on AIX systen for operators in our office. Please suggest how can I loop back to menu by pressing any key from a online running file. For example I can view the Database alert log file by tail -f command but how should I loop back to menu again. If I press <ctrl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hexadecimal to Decimal

Hi all, I have a small script to convert my HexaDecimal Input to Decimal as output. #!/bin/ksh hd=00208060 dec=`printf %d $hd` echo $dec Output of the above program: printf: 00208060 not completely converted 16 But my expected output is "2130016". How can i acheive this. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
2 Replies

7. Programming

Hexadecimal to ascii

Let's suppose i have a hexadecimal array with 16 cells.for example b3e2d5f636111780 i want to convert it to an array of ascii characters(in C) so that i can reduce total size of the file i want to put it in. But i am afraid i have not fully understand the difference between ascii and hex(i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hexadecimal increment using shell script

I am looking for hexadecimal increment by reading user input using shell script. For example the user input is 01A. I want to increase the hex count by 4 times Looking for output: 01A O1B 01C 01D 01E Can someone suggest? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_1712
14 Replies

9. Red Hat

CentOS 6.1 base install (like FreeBSD base install)?

Hello, What is the simplest way to install CentOS 6.1 with console base-system only using official LiveDVD image on VirtualBox machine? I'd like to get simplest console with network support like FreeBSD base installation. Then, install services which I need. The installer jest extracts the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_develope
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate hexadecimal

Hello I'm working on a script to list all ipv6 from given address so I've run this script which create hex part of ipv6 STR2=159 END2=200 SUM2=`expr $END2 - $STR2` for ((i=STR2;i<=END2;++i)); do x=$( printf "%x" $i ) ; echo $x echo -e "::"$x >> netpart.txt done output is : ::9f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies
print.ini(5)							File Formats Manual						      print.ini(5)

NAME
print.ini -- survex printer settings Description The print.ini file contains printer descriptions for the Survex printer drivers. File Format The format of the print.ini file is similar to the .ini files used on Microsoft Windows. The file is divided into sections, each section corresponding to a separate printer description. A section starts with a section name in square brackets, e.g. aven's built-in printer support uses the aven section: [aven] followed by some options of the form <option>=<setting>, e.g.: font_size_labels=6 In the supplied print.ini each option is preceded by a comment (indicated by a semicolon ';') briefly explaining the option. Customising Printer Settings If you wish to change the size of the font used for labels or the colours used you need to override some of the setting in print.ini. You shouldn't modify the master print.ini (located in /usr/share/survex on Unix, or in the same directory as the Survex program files on other systems), or your changes will be overwritten by upgrades. Instead create: o /etc/survex/print.ini (Unix - system-wide settings) o ~/.survex/print.ini (Unix - per user settings) o myprint.ini in the directory where Survex is installed (other platforms) If one of these files contains a setting then aven will use it instead of the setting in the master print.ini. Any settings not specified will still fall back to the values in print.ini. See Also printdm(1), printhpgl(1), printpcl(1), printps(1) print.ini(5)