Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DiskSuite: Breaking mirrors.
Operating Systems Solaris DiskSuite: Breaking mirrors. Post 94019 by BOFH on Monday 26th of December 2005 02:59:28 PM
Old 12-26-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
Well, I must be not focusing on something in your post. OK, /var is screwed up somehow. So you break the mirror, do nothing to repair /var
Well, I didn't "do nothing". I attempted to fsck /var but it responded that it couldn't since /var was already mounted as read-only. I don't know why it was mounted read only. I can only assume (which is why I'm asking here) that due to the initial problem, it couldn't remount read-write.

I thought the initial process of mounting disks, mounted root and var in read-only, fscked them, then remounted them to read-write before mounting the rest of the slices.

Correction would be appreciated of course.

Quote:
, and boot from one side of the mirror. And then.. 'we received the same "can't write to /var/adm/utmp" error.' Was that not the expected result?
The initial problem was that the system wasn't able to create utmp, possibly because /var was not able to be remounted read-write (again, assuming my comment above is true).

So my steps were to break the mirror so that I had two separate disks, reboot it to just a single, non disk suite controlled disk, fsck the other disk and bring the mirror back.

I cleared /etc/system, changed the md entries in /etc/vfstab back to mounting the disk rather than mounting the metadisks, fixed eeprom so that it booted from the second disk and booted the system.

Since it should be booting from a clean, non SDS controlled disk, it should have booted successfully. I got puzzled when I received the exact same error.

Quote:
You say 'fsck all the slices on t0 and t2 except t0's /var slice since it's mounted in ro mode.' How did it come to pass that /var was mounted in ro mode?
I don't know. See my theory above. Since I don't have a Sun contract here at work (AIX/Red Hat shop), I can't check some of the deeper knowledge available within Sunsolve that I had available when I was working at a Sun shop.

Quote:
Even if you couldn't get it unmounted for some odd reason, fsck -n should have been possible.
I don't know how -n would have worked (reply 'n' to all prompts) and it wouldn't have occurred to me to try it. Can you explain further how it might have helped?

Quote:
Repairing /var seems like the key to recovery.
Well yea Smilie That's what I was trying to do. I thought, perhaps in error, that getting it mounted without disk suite would let me fsck the other disk and then boot to repaired disk to get the system back up. I could then re mirror the disk afterwards.

Quote:
What's wrong with boot into single user mode, square away /var, and reboot? Smilie
Hence the questions. Thanks for taking the time though.

Carl

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

both mirrors in needs maintenance state.

Hi, Ii am facing the belwo problem: d50: Mirror Submirror 0: d30 State: Needs maintenance Submirror 1: d40 State: Needs maintenance Pass: 1 Read option: roundrobin (default) Write option: parallel (default) Size: 212176648 blocks (101 GB) d30:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
3 Replies

2. Linux

Additional mirrors on centos

How can I add additional mirrors to my CENTOS distro, according to this page AdditionalResources/Repositories - CentOS Wiki there are few fedora project repositories I'd like to add any of them but I don't know how? Thank you in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0mrade
0 Replies

3. Linux

[Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Dear all, CentOS 6 After executing "yum update -y" command I am facing this error. Please help me out. thanks in advance. Full error & error code is given as follow: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Help with attaching mirrors

Hi Guys, I need a help with attaching the sub mirrors as it keep throwing errors. I have done solaris live upgrade and it was succesful but it keeps throwing error only for root (s0) and swap (s1)when i try to attach them. For rest of the partitions for slices 3,4,5 on target 1 are able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Oneway mirrors

All, One-way mirror. Elements of the concat in Last-errd state. What would be the best way to correct it? metastat -s db2test -pc db2test/d220 p 5.0GB db2test/d200 db2test/d219 p 5.0GB db2test/d200 db2test/d218 p 5.0GB db2test/d200 db2test/d217 p 30GB db2test/d200... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ossupport55
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Zpool with 3 2-way mirrors in a pool

I have a single zpool with 3 2-way mirrors ( 3 x 2 way vdevs) it has a degraded disk in mirror-2, I know I can suffer a single drive failure, but looking at this how many drive failures can this suffer before it is no good? On the face of it, I thought that I could lose a further 2 drives in each... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishface
4 Replies