Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DiskSuite: Breaking mirrors.
Operating Systems Solaris DiskSuite: Breaking mirrors. Post 93952 by BOFH on Friday 23rd of December 2005 01:58:17 PM
Old 12-23-2005
DiskSuite: Breaking mirrors.

Ok, so I have a remote system (7 states away) that's using SDS to manage the two 18 gig disks. /, swap, /var, /home, and /opt.

The mirroring procedure I created uses installboot to ensure there's a bootblk on both disks of an SDS mirror.

The system has a problem booting (can't write to /var/adm/utmp) and there's no bootable CD on site. I have a "hands & eyes" person who's not familiar with Solaris. My intention was to break the mirror, boot to one disk, fsck the second disk and boot to it to recover. Remirror the system after it's back up.

OBP has boot-device=disk net
c0t0d0 and c0t2d0 are the two disks.
c0t2d0 is identified as the left side of the mirror where normally t0 is left and t2 is right.

Remember, I'm not there so all the commands are being entered by the H&E guy.

1. Enter root's password to go to single-user mode.
2. fsck all the slices on t0 and t2 except t0's /var slice since it's mounted in ro mode.
3. mount c0t2d0s0 /mnt
4. Remove the MDD stuff from /mnt/etc/system
5. Change the mounts in /mnt/etc/vfstab
6. eeprom to set boot-device=disk1
7. umount /mnt (ensures everything's written to disk).
8. to be sure, installboot bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 and /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0

Upon boot, the system said that c0t0d0s0 was not of this fstype and we received the same "can't write to /var/adm/utmp" error.

I did some google searching and didn't find anything specific to this issue. I can boot in single user mode and mount the slice without a problem so it's puzzling.

Because of this, I think that "disk" is defined as t2 instead of t0 so bring it to single user and change eeprom boot-device=disk and it generates the exact same error.

Now, aside from the problems (we ultimately left the mirror broken, reinstalled Solaris on one disk and recovered the data from the second disk), does this sound like it should have worked?

One of the results of this for me is to ensure installboot is run on all SDS mirrors and to check the status of boot-device (some systems weren't "disk disk1").

Carl

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

both mirrors in needs maintenance state.

Hi, Ii am facing the belwo problem: d50: Mirror Submirror 0: d30 State: Needs maintenance Submirror 1: d40 State: Needs maintenance Pass: 1 Read option: roundrobin (default) Write option: parallel (default) Size: 212176648 blocks (101 GB) d30:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
3 Replies

2. Linux

Additional mirrors on centos

How can I add additional mirrors to my CENTOS distro, according to this page AdditionalResources/Repositories - CentOS Wiki there are few fedora project repositories I'd like to add any of them but I don't know how? Thank you in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0mrade
0 Replies

3. Linux

[Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Dear all, CentOS 6 After executing "yum update -y" command I am facing this error. Please help me out. thanks in advance. Full error & error code is given as follow: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Help with attaching mirrors

Hi Guys, I need a help with attaching the sub mirrors as it keep throwing errors. I have done solaris live upgrade and it was succesful but it keeps throwing error only for root (s0) and swap (s1)when i try to attach them. For rest of the partitions for slices 3,4,5 on target 1 are able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Oneway mirrors

All, One-way mirror. Elements of the concat in Last-errd state. What would be the best way to correct it? metastat -s db2test -pc db2test/d220 p 5.0GB db2test/d200 db2test/d219 p 5.0GB db2test/d200 db2test/d218 p 5.0GB db2test/d200 db2test/d217 p 30GB db2test/d200... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ossupport55
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Zpool with 3 2-way mirrors in a pool

I have a single zpool with 3 2-way mirrors ( 3 x 2 way vdevs) it has a degraded disk in mirror-2, I know I can suffer a single drive failure, but looking at this how many drive failures can this suffer before it is no good? On the face of it, I thought that I could lose a further 2 drives in each... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishface
4 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)