Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RAID 0 on Unix
Operating Systems HP-UX RAID 0 on Unix Post 93871 by mr_manny on Thursday 22nd of December 2005 09:37:27 PM
Old 12-22-2005
you definitely do NOT want to raid0 anything you care about...
manny

raid1 example below:
#!/bin/sh
pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/c4t1d0
pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0

mkdir /dev/vg01
mknod /dev/vg01/group c 64 0x0a0000

vgcreate -p 128 /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c4t1d0

lvcreate -n lvol1 /dev/vg01
#extents number will vary
lvextend -l 1023 /dev/vg01/lvol1

newfs -F vxfs /dev/vg01/rlvol1
fsadm -F vxfs -o largefiles /dev/vg01/rlvol1

mkdir /raid1filesystem

mount /dev/vg01/lvol1 /raid1filesystem

vgextend /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c1t1d0
#this part may take a while...the more you mirror the longer it takes
lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg01/lvol1

exit

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID Unix command

Is there a command used to determine whether or not a machine has been RAIDed besides using 'df -k'. I am interested b/c I am writing a script where I would like to receive some sort of notification as to whether or not a machine has been RAIDed. The simpler the info returned back, the better. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuinc
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Sco 5.0.7 Raid Problems

Hello there guys , I have this problem , i have this hp smart array 641 raid card and i'm trying to install sco unix 5.0.7 and is says no root disk found right before the instalation is about to start. I know that you have to load the driver befor the install bud i really cannot find the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to view Drive/RAID config in UNIX...

How do you view Drive/RAID configuration in UNIX? We are running an ML370 with 6 drives in it... Version: Sco 5.2.0 Sco Openserver Release 5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bpoulson
2 Replies

4. SCO

raid 1 configuration in sco open unix

Dear Team , how i can configure raid 1 (mirroring) using ide hdd in sco open unix 5 i have two 80gb identical hdd (same make/model) thanx (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir69
0 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help finding a Unix friendly RAID 1 backup

First time poster and a very new Unix user, so I'll just pre-apologize for stupid questions now. Does anybody know of a good RAID 1 hard drive backup that is Unix friendly? I want to avoid any hardcore programming. Can you recommend both NAS and non-NAS options? I need to do nightly backups... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: c.wakeman
31 Replies

6. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

Hardware RAID in HP Unix rp3440

Hi Gurus, Can anyone tell me the Hardware RAID configuration in HP Unix rp3440 model server containing HP UX B.11.11 OS version. Thanks in Advance. BR, Prasanth (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanth438
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

9. SCO

Backup/RAID of HD on Old UNIX Server

I need to be able to make a backup image of an OLD UNIX server HD where I can restore the complete HD from scratch if (when) the HD fails. This server runs the accounting system for a company. I can and have backed the data up via local FTP, but O/S and Apps are so old that I am not sure I could... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrishouse
21 Replies
LVEXTEND(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       LVEXTEND(8)

NAME
lvextend - extend the size of a logical volume SYNOPSIS
lvextend [--alloc AllocationPolicy] [-A|--autobackup y|n] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--noudevsync] [-i|--stripes Stripes [-I|--stripesize StripeSize]] {-l|--extents [+]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|PVS|FREE|ORIGIN}] | -L|--size [+]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE]} [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] LogicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath[:PE[-PE]]...] DESCRIPTION
lvextend allows you to extend the size of a logical volume. Extension of snapshot logical volumes (see lvcreate(8) for information to cre- ate snapshots) is supported as well. But to change the number of copies in a mirrored logical volume use lvconvert(8). OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. --noudevsync Disable udev synchronisation. The process will not wait for notification from udev. It will continue irrespective of any possible udev processing in the background. You should only use this if udev is not running or has rules that ignore the devices LVM2 cre- ates. -l, --extents [+]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|PVS|FREE|ORIGIN}] Extend or set the logical volume size in units of logical extents. With the + sign the value is added to the actual size of the logical volume and without it, the value is taken as an absolute one. The number can also be expressed as a percentage of the total space in the Volume Group with the suffix %VG, relative to the existing size of the Logical Volume with the suffix %LV, of the remaining free space for the specified PhysicalVolume(s) with the suffix %PVS, as a percentage of the remaining free space in the Volume Group with the suffix %FREE, or (for a snapshot) as a percentage of the total space in the Origin Logical Volume with the suffix %ORIGIN. -L, --size [+]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] Extend or set the logical volume size in units of megabytes. A size suffix of M for megabytes, G for gigabytes, T for terabytes, P for petabytes or E for exabytes is optional. With the + sign the value is added to the actual size of the logical volume and with- out it, the value is taken as an absolute one. -i, --stripes Stripes Gives the number of stripes for the extension. Not applicable to LVs using the original metadata LVM format, which must use a sin- gle value throughout. -I, --stripesize StripeSize Gives the number of kilobytes for the granularity of the stripes. Not applicable to LVs using the original metadata LVM format, which must use a single value throughout. StripeSize must be 2^n (n = 2 to 9) Examples "lvextend -L +54 /dev/vg01/lvol10 /dev/sdk3" tries to extend the size of that logical volume by 54MB on physical volume /dev/sdk3. This is only possible if /dev/sdk3 is a member of volume group vg01 and there are enough free physical extents in it. "lvextend /dev/vg01/lvol01 /dev/sdk3" tries to extend the size of that logical volume by the amount of free space on physical volume /dev/sdk3. This is equivalent to specifying "-l +100%PVS" on the command line. "lvextend -L+16M vg01/lvol01 /dev/sda:8-9 /dev/sdb:8-9" tries to extend a logical volume "vg01/lvol01" by 16MB using physical extents /dev/sda:8-9 and /dev/sdb:8-9 for allocation of extents. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), lvcreate(8), lvconvert(8), lvreduce(8), lvresize(8), lvchange(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.67(2) (2010-06-04) LVEXTEND(8)