Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris how can I change user name and password , of account ? Post 93823 by umen on Thursday 22nd of December 2005 10:17:11 AM
Old 12-22-2005
how can I change user name and password , of account ?

passwd only changes the password but i need to change the user name
tnx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ftp account change password

How can I change the password from an ftp user account on a ssh server? Please give me simple instructions for a users who hasn't a lot of experience. :D Just the words in form of a list thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m.seidenberg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't change password for a user

All, I am unable to change a password for the user called : poller I am logged in as root When I do the following command passwd poller New Password: Permission denied Whe i enter the new password, it gives the above error. When i log in as poller and then execute the command, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change other account password from root access

Hi, I have forgotten my personal account password but I still have the root access to the box. Please tell me how can I change my other account password by logging as root. Thanks. Rakesh :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Account to not lock account if password expires

I have access to 15+ UNIX boxes at work, and I do not consistently log onto all of them over time. When I do try to access one I havent been on in awhile, my account is locked as the password has expired. I need to request to the UNIX SA's that the password expiration is 90 days and that if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stringzz
1 Replies

5. Debian

password less login to root from a user account

hello friends, one user is created named "user1" I login as "user1" . Now when i do "su -" to be root user I have to give password for root . Is there any way through which we can skip giving the password to root. i.e. user1@work:~$ su - Password: xxxxxx work:~$ I don't want that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create new user account and password in shell script

I am trying to create a shell script that will: check if a specific user already exists if not, create a specific group and create the user in that group assign a password to that user, where the password is passed in as a parameter to the script The problem that I need help with is 3 on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: killuane
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing password when changing the user account

Hi All, I have one requirment.. I need to change my id to some sudo account in a server.. Actually our username/passwd will be stored in one gip file like below... $cat .a.gz #It's hidden file username passwd $ So I tried the below script to pass the password when i sudo to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

block user account after failed password

hi guys I have Centos 5.4 The idea is lock the user account for 3 minutes after he has entered his password incorrectly 3 times. I've modified /etc/pam.d/system-auth auth required pam_tally.so onerr=fail per_user deny=3 account required pam_tally.so resetbesides... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change LPad user password?

Hi Gurus, I am lpad user in some of my server. I need to change password at certain period time. I am wondering what is the command to change the passwd. last time I asked my unix admin, they gave me a comand I chagned it. (I forgot to keep it in safe place, I lost it). this time when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies

10. Linux

Not able to change user password

hi I am not able to change user password from root user. although it is saying updated successfully. but still I am not able to login direct to abc user. however I can login from root user by using su - abc # passwd abc Changing password for user abc. New password: BAD PASSWORD: it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies
pwconv(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)