Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding a character in the beginning of every line in a .dat file Post 93789 by matrixmadhan on Thursday 22nd of December 2005 05:47:03 AM
Old 12-22-2005
one more,

Code:
awk '{ printf "#"; print }' <filename>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding a character in front of a line

Hi everyon, I am trying to search for a pattern in a file and add "//" to the begining of the file. lets say i want to comment out a line from my codes. the line that should be commented out contains the word "reset". i need to search for the word "reset" and comment out that specific line. is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a special character at the end of the line

I used following to add * at the end of the line in file1. It adds * at the end but has a space before it for some lines but some other lines it adds exactly after the last character. How do I take out the space ? sed 's/$/*/' file1 > file2 example: contents of file1 : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove words beginning with a certain character from a file

Hi, how could you go about removing words that begin with a certain character. assuming that this character is '-' I currently have echo "-hello" | sed s/-/""/ which replaces the leading dash with nothing but I want to remove the whole word, even if there are multiple words beginning... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding one string at the beginning of each line in a file

Hi, I have file a.txt as below. I want to add one string root beginning of each line. Sample file a.txt aaa bbb ccc Sample output Root aaa Root bbb Root ccc Can any one help me on this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rename file by adding a name in beginning

about 200 files with names as 11_0.pdb 11_60.pdb 12_12.pdb 14_180.pdb are there in my library...I need to rename all of them by addinf File in front of them as: File11_0.pdb File11_60.pdb File12_12.pdb File14_180.pdb I checked many threads but it seems i get even more confused..i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanikasharma
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new line character

Hi All, i am taking end of records using tail command got the out is "END OF FILE. ROW COUNT: 10" and record count in the file is 3. while append the both data into test2.txt file,it's append like END OF FILE. ROW COUNT: 108 my output should be in the test2.txt file END OF FILE. ROW... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding end of line character in the last record

Need to add end of line character to last record in a fixed width file. When i take the record length of each line, for all the records it gives example like 200 except the last line as 199. Due to this my other script fails. Please help me on this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a text in the beginning of a line

Hi, I am doing something like below: cat file1>file3and cat file2>>file3 I wanted to check if there is a way to write a custom message(hardcoded message)something like below at the beginning of each line then PIPE delimitiation and then followed by remaining record. cat file1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding test to beginning and end of list in a file

Hi all and apologies for the silly question, but I've searched and I can't get this right. I have a list of email addresses in a file that I need to blacklist (spam). the list is quite long and I would need to script a small routine so that I can get the following for each line in the file: db... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bm555
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use sed to insert character in the beginning of file path?

I need to manipulate one Database file on Solaris 11 in which contains more than 5000 lines of data file path like this: '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/system01.dbf', '/data7/oradata/DBNAME/undotbs1_01.dbf', '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/sysaux01.dbf', '/data28/oradata/DBNAME/userdata01.dbf', ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
6 Replies
geom(1) 																   geom(1)

NAME
geom - analyzes a molecular geometry input in Cartesian coordinates. DESCRIPTION
The program geom reads a set of Cartesian coordinates and determines from them the bond distances (Bohr and angstrom), bond angles, tor- sional angles, out-of-plane angles (optional), moments of inertia, and rotational constants. FILES REQUIRED
input.dat - Input file and one of the following: geom.dat - geometry file file11.dat - PSI-format geometry/gradient file FILES GENERATED
geom.out - file containing the analysis INPUT OPTIONS
The geom program has the following options: -h Print help information (these options). -aces [filename] Read the input in an ACES output format, with each line consisting of atomic symbol, atomic number, and Cartesian coordinates (in Bohr). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -qchem [filename] Read the input in an QCHEM output format, with each line consisting of the atom number, the atomic symbol, and Cartesian coordinates (in Angstroms). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -xyz [filename] Read the input in an XYZ output format. The first line contains the number of atoms and the second line is a comment line. Subse- quent lines each contain the atomic symbol and Cartesian X Y and Z coordinates (in Angstroms). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -oop Print out-of-plane angles, where the angle a-b-c-d is defined as the angle formed by the vector a-d and the plane defined by atoms b, c, and d. DO_OOP = boolean Same as command-line switch -oop described above. ISOTOPES = matrix of reals/strings Used to specify masses to be used in the calculation of the center of mass and rotational constants. One array is provided for each isotopomer to be calculated. The arrays can mix floating point numbers with strings which designate isotopes. If this array is not given and file11.dat is present, then the masses will be obtained by converting the atomic numbers in file11. If masses are not given by ISOTOPES or by file11, then no mass-related quantities will be calculated. -g [filename] Read Cartesian coordinates from a file other than file11.dat. If a filename is not given, the default is geom.dat. The alternative file is assumed to be in a format similar to that of PSI's geom.dat. Since such files do not contain atomic numbers, the moments of inertia and rotational constants are not calculated if this option is used. READ_GEOM = boolean This option in input.dat tells geom to read the geometry from geom.dat in the PSI geom.dat format. -a Print parameters for all pair distances. PRINT_ALL_DIST = boolean Same as -a flag described above. -d distance Only print parameters involving pairs of atoms which are less than distance bohr apart (default value is 4.0 bohr). PRINT_DISTANCE = value Same as -d flag described above. -angstrom The input coordinates are in angstroms, not bohr. ANGSTROM = boolean If TRUE, the input coordinates are in angstroms instead of bohr. The default is FALSE. The following example is for calculating the geometrical information for water with several different isotopes. The geometry is read from geom.dat rather than from file11.dat. geom: ( read_geom = true isotopes = ( (O H H) (O D D) (O18 1.007825 1.007825) ) ) 5 June, 1998 geom(1)