Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: E-mail problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers E-mail problem Post 9378 by guest100 on Friday 26th of October 2001 04:52:10 AM
Old 10-26-2001
E-mail problem

Is it true that you need port 110(POP3) to be open for sending email out ??
I can send email out fine but when I check my port 110 is not open. The problem I have is that I can not receive email at all or can not send email locally (between my users).

Here is what I get using the netstat command :

<pre>

% netstat -a |grep 25
*.1225 Idle
isgsi01.32925 isgsi01.32917 32768 0 32768 0 ESTABLISHED
isgsi01.32917 isgsi01.32925 32768 0 32768 0 ESTABLISHED

% netstat -a |grep 110
isgsi01.1521 10.153.6.198.1108 16210 0 8760 0 ESTABLISHED

% netstat -a |grep mail
%
I get nothing here.

</pre>

It seems like I get nothing relevant here about ports 25 and 110. I still can send email out to the outside world, any ideas at all please guys?

Also trying the 'newaliases' command I get :

<pre>

% newaliases
WARNING: World writable directory /var
WARNING: World writable directory /etc
dbm map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases: No such file or directory
Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases

</pre>

Anyone played around with sendmail before?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with mail

what I have to write in a shell that every time that it arrives a new e-mail has to perform a program taking some data from the e-mail. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmistero
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mail problem !!

Hi, Below a try to send an email to a local user can be seen. I can NOT send e-mail anywhere, but I receive email perfectly. <pre> isgsi01(root)10: mail aris < /home/aris/mail2send dbm map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases: No such file or directory </pre> ..... but the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail problem (NOT Mail or Mail.app)

When I try to use the CLI mail, I get the following error. What's wrong? Welcome to Darwin! % mail root Subject: test test . EOT % /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 81: fileclass: cannot open /etc/mail/local-host-names: Group writable directory Do I just need to change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenly
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with mail.

Hello! I have two servers with Solaris 2.7 I send mail from first to second. The first is also dns. It's known as "ns.oldb.pkb", second is "dev.pkb". Ping works successful from 1 to 2 and vice verse. But when I am trying on first server : sendmail -v user@dev.pkb < /etc/motd it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colf
3 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

mail problem

i have mac os x 2.2 jaguar and Mail wont open any links? When i click on them it just does nothing. does anybody know why/how to fix it? please help me.. thanks, blip (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blip
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail problem

if ping $1 3 then { sleep 1 echo "HELO domain.co.uk" sleep 1 echo "MAIL FROM: mark@domain.co.uk" sleep 1 echo "RCPT TO: markms@domain.co.uk" sleep 1 echo "DATA" echo "This is a test from a file." echo "." echo "quit" } | telnet $1 25 else echo problem fi The above is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markms
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with Mail !

I have a o/p file called a1.txt from a script. I m mailing this file but the problem is that in the mail the format is comming different. Contents of a1.txt ------------------------------------ Meter 090845086LG is now Made AMR Active Meter 090845088LG is now Made AMR Active Meter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail problem

hi folks , i am working in UNIX . i was wondered when i gone through below lines in some scripts. Can anyone describe me how this is working . thanks in advance.. /usr/sbin/sendmail -t < $0.email /usr/bin/mailx -s "$EDI_HOST: Report....@ `date`" GROUP_ALERT <<EOF `cat $0.email`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhaprakasam
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Mail Problem. Maybe, it is a DNS Problem!

Hi, i've a redhat linux 9 upadated by redhat from 7 version to 9 version. A couple of days ago i was a problem with my mail, in other words i'm not able to get any email nor to send any email. I've a proxy configuration and i tried to set iptables in order to verify the port. The 110,255 and 995... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pintalgi
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP UX mail problem

I am uxing HP UX mailx, I want to send mail with: 1) to list 2) cc list 3) sender address 4) mail body 5) subject 6) attachment I am using : (cat cc_list; cat mail_body; ux2dos file_1 | uuencode attachment.txt)|mailx -m -s "subject" -r sender@abc.com recepient@abc.com cc_list... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gautamadak
2 Replies
REPORTER-MAILX(1)						 LIBREPORT MANUAL						 REPORTER-MAILX(1)

NAME
reporter-mailx - Sends contents of a problem directory via email. SYNOPSIS
reporter-mailx [-v] -d DIR [-c CONFFILE] DESCRIPTION
The tool reads a problem directory, composes an email message from the directory contents, and uses mailx to send the message to specified recipient. Properties of email messages can be specified in a configuration file, and via environment variables. Configuration file Configuration file contains entries in a format "Option = Value". The options are: Subject The subject of the email message. EmailFrom The sender of the email message. EmailTo The recipient of the email message. SendBinaryData Use yes/true/on/1 to attach all binary files from the problem directory to the email. This can cause the emails to be very large. Integration with ABRT events reporter-mailx can be used as a reporter, to allow users report problems via email when they decide to do it. This usage is pre-configured in /etc/libreport/events.d/mailx_event.conf: EVENT=report_Mailx reporter-mailx It can also be used to notify administrator automatically when a problem happens. When this is desired, modify the event configuration file to run the tool on the post-create event: EVENT=post-create reporter-mailx OPTIONS
-d DIR Path to problem directory. -c CONFFILE Path to configuration file. When used in ABRT event system, the file contains site-wide configuration. Users can change the values via environment variables. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
Environment variables take precedence over values provided in the configuration file. Mailx_Subject Subject of the email message. Mailx_EmailFrom Sender of the email message. Mailx_EmailTo Recipient of the email message. If nor the environment variable nor the corresponding option is defined, the message is send to "root@localhost". Mailx_SendBinaryData Use yes/true/on/1 to attach all binary files from the problem directory to the email. AUTHORS
o ABRT team LIBREPORT 2.1.11 06/18/2014 REPORTER-MAILX(1)