Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How many UNIX engineers are necessary? Post 93751 by Neo on Wednesday 21st of December 2005 10:09:17 PM
Old 12-21-2005
I think the degree of automatic supervision of platforms and processes is a key factor. I believe some people call this system management. If you have good and reliable automated system management practices in place, including automated backup and recovery, process and file system supervision, network and host based IDS, managing a large network can be easier. I recall, years ago, managing many hundreds of devices, including UNIX-based services, routers, etc., across a tiered approach of operators, first level support and secondary expert support for problems that cannot be solved by the rest of the team.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open source mathematical software for scientists & engineers

I'm look for some opinion on mathematical software from any engineers out there. What is the open source application that --in your opinion(s) -- best meets the same requirements as Mathematica or Maple? I'm running FreeBSD & Linux, btw. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaron Van
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Software engineers, real and otherwise

Hi. Rather than go off-topic in https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/45122-comparison-2-files-unix-2.html#post302145451I I started this thread. In addition to continuing the discussion here, there are related threads on this topic at: How do you "get into" the programming... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drl
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Lack of Solaris Engineers?

Are more and more companies moving away from Solaris? I am currently helping a company search for a Sr. Solaris Engineer near Philadelphia and it seems as if more candidates are in other UNIX flavors. Is this correct? Where is the best place to search for Solaris Engineers? Thank you for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickcrocemisi
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Lack of Solaris Engineers?

Are more and more companies moving away from Solaris? I am currently helping a company search for a Sr. Solaris Engineer near Philadelphia and it seems as if more candidates are in other UNIX flavors. Is this correct? Where is the best place to search for Solaris Engineers? Thank you for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickcrocemisi
1 Replies

5. Advertise with Us

Wanted- Linux Application Engineers

Optiver US LLC is a worldwide market maker and derivatives trading firm with offices in Chicago, Amsterdam and Sydney. Attracting very ambitious, talented and results-oriented individuals to become members of a highly selective trading application engineering team. This position is a primary... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb S.
0 Replies
cf-monitord(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    cf-monitord(8)

NAME
cf-monitord - cfengine's monitoring agent SYNOPSIS
: cf-monitord [options] DESCRIPTION
: The monitoring agent is a machine-learning, sampling daemon which learns the normal state of the current host and classifies new observa- tions in terms of the patterns formed by previous ones. The data are made available to and read by cf-agent for classification of responses to anomalous states. cfengine is a self-healing configuration and change management based system. You can think of cfengine as a very high level language, much higher level than Perl or shell. Asingle statement is called a promise, and compliance can result in many hundreds of filesbeing created, or the permissions of many hundreds offiles being set. The idea of cfengine is to create a one or more sets of configu- ration files which willclassify and describe the setup of every host in a network. COMMAND LINE OPTIONS
: --help, -h Print the help message --debug, -d Set debugging level 0,1,2,3 --verbose, -v Output verbose information about the behaviour of the agent --dry-run, -n All talk and no action mode - make no changes, only inform of promises not kept --version, -V Output the version of the software --no-lock, -K Ignore system lock --file, -f Specify an alternative input file than the default --inform, -I Print basic information about changes made to the system, i.e. promises repaired --diagnostic, -x Activate internal diagnostics (developers only) --no-fork, -F Run process in foreground, not as a daemon --histograms, -H Ignored for backward compatibility --tcpdump, -T Interface with tcpdump if available to collect data about network AUTHOR
Mark Burgess and CFEngine AS INFORMATION
Bug reports: http://bug.cfengine.com, .PP Community help: http://forum.cfengine.com Community info: http://www.cfengine.com/pages/community Support services: http://www.cfengine.com This software is Copyright (C) 2008-2013 CFEngine AS. Maintenance Commands cf-monitord(8)