Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Fastest way to traverse through large directories Post 93696 by Perderabo on Wednesday 21st of December 2005 11:39:12 AM
Old 12-21-2005
This is going to take a while no matter what you do. "find" should be able to do at close to the top possible speed. A custom C program should be able to beat "find", but not by much. I would not csh for anything.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix File System performance with large directories

Hi, how does the Unix File System perform with large directories (containing ~30.000 files)? What kind of structure is used for the organization of a directory's content, linear lists, (binary) trees? I hope the description 'Unix File System' is exact enough, I don't know more about the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dive
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traverse catalogs

Here is my problem (it seems I've a lot of problems nowadays). I have several folders: runner.20070830.12.45.12 runner.20070830.12.45.15 runner.20070830.12.45.17 runner.20070830.12.45.20 runner.20070830.12.45.45 runner.20070830.12.45.55 Each catalog contains some html-files. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baghera
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find in given path do not want to traverse to its sub-directories

Hi All, My UNIX Version is: OS Name Release Version AIX appma538 3 5 I want to find certain files with some criterias under the given path. At the same time i want to find the files which resides under the given directory, but normal find traverse to its sub-directories... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Duplicate Filenames in 2 very large directories

Hello Gurus, O/S RHEL4 I have a requirement to compare two linux based directories for duplicate filenames and remove them. These directories are close to 2 TB each. I have tried running a: Prompt>diff -r data1/ data2/ I have tried this as well: jason@jason-desktop:~$ cat script.sh ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traverse through directory....

hi I have a directory structure like Parent Parent/child1/ Parent/child2/ Parent/child3/ and the each main directory contains Parent/child1/file1.txt, Parent/child1/fil2.zip ....... Parent/child2/file1.txt,Parent/child/fil2.zip ...... Now i want to traverse to each and want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - traverse sub directories and get test case results

Hello, I need help in creating a PERL script for parsing test result files to get the results (pass or fail). Each test case execution generates a directory with few files among which we are interested in .result file. Lets say Testing is home directory. If i executed 2 test cases. It will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.videla
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way to delete duplicates from a large filelist.....

OK I have two filelists...... The first is formatted like this.... /path/to/the/actual/file/location/filename.jpg and has up to a million records The second list shows filename.jpg where there is more then on instance. and has maybe up to 65,000 records I want to copy files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
4 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

OS X 'find' nogroup/nouser doesn't traverse directories?

flamingo:~ joliver$ sudo find / -nogroup find: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory find: /home: No such file or directory find: /Library: No such file or directory find: /net: No such file or directory find: /Network: No such file or directory find: /private: No such file or directory find:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traverse Latest directory First

I wish to traverse the latest to the oldest directory based on its timestamp. ls -ltr drwxr-x--- 3 admin bel 1024 Jan 22 02:29 sys drwxr-x--- 2 admin bel 2048 Jan 22 02:30 admin drwxr-x--- 10 admin bel 24576 Jan 23 21:31 bin For the above i need to cd first to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traverse through directories

Hi all, Require help in completing a shell script. i do have a total of 90 directories where in we have different sub-directories and one of the sub directory named logs I need to go inside the logs subdirectory and check if a particular log is present or not. for example below is the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar t
3 Replies
uuaids(8c)																uuaids(8c)

Name
       uucompact, uumkspool, uurespool, uupoll - uucp utilities

Syntax
       uucompact -ssystem
       uumkspool system ...
       uurespool [ -t# ]
       uupoll system ...

Description
       All of the commands are located in

The  command  compacts  uucp  system spool directories and associated subdirectories. If system is ALL, then all existing uucp system spool
       directories are compacted.  Otherwise, only the specified system spool directory is compacted.  If no system is	specified,  is	compacted.
       If  is stopped before it is finished, it can be restarted without reprocessing directories.  The command continues processing where it left
       off during it's previous instantiation.

The command makes a per system spool directory and associated subdirectories for each of the specified systems.	For example, if system	is
       mk3 and if the local system name is penny, the following directories are created:
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/C.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/X.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.penny
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.penny
       The  command  moves files from old spool directories to	new spool directories.	Because the structure of the spool directories has changed
       from older versions of it is necessary to respool old spooled files to new spool directories in at least two instances:

o    When installing the current version of

o    When creating a new system spool directory for each system.

In the latter case, it is necessary to move files from to the new spool directories.  To ease this task, moves files that have been spooled
       in  one	of 4 formats and respools them under the new spooling structure.  The format is specified by the -t# option, where the number sign
       (#) can be any one of the following:

o   Original spool - All files are in

o   Split spool - Contains the subdirectories

o   Modified split spool -  Contains all subdirectories listed in split spool, and

o   Used when a new system directory has been created and spool files must be moved from the DEFAULT directory to the new system directory.

The command forces a connect attempt to the named systems even if recent attempts have failed, but not if the file prohibits the call.  For
       example, the file will prohibit the call if it is the wrong time of day.  Thus, the should be monitored for messages about the connection.

Files
       Spool directory

Logfile

See Also
       mail(1), uucp(1c), uux(1c)

uuaids(8c)