Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: doubts reg inodes
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting doubts reg inodes Post 93680 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 21st of December 2005 09:58:02 AM
Old 12-21-2005
chmod has no effect on a file descriptor that is already open. The code will keep writing to the file. This is because permissions checking occurs only when the process first tries to open the file.

Code:
/* filetest.c will this keep writing after a chmod on the file mid-way? */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#define ck(x)if((x)==1){perror("error on file");exit(EXIT_FAILURE);}
int main()
{
	FILE *out=fopen("./myfile","w");
	char tmp[32]={0x0};
	int i=0;

for(i=0;i<1000;i++) ck(fprintf(out,"%d\n",i));
	printf("We are pausing now... push <Enter> to continue.. ");    
	fgets(tmp,sizeof(tmp),stdin);
	system("chmod 000 ./myfile");
	for(i=0;i<1000;i++) ck(fprintf(out,"%d\n",i));
    ck(fclose(out));
    printf("exiting with no errors...\n");
    return 0;
}

output:
Quote:
kcsdev:/home/jmcnama> cc filetest.c
kcsdev:/home/jmcnama> a.out
We are pausing now... push <Enter> to continue..
exiting with no errors...
kcsdev:/home/jmcnama> ll ./myfile
---------- 1 jmcnama prog 7780 Dec 21 07:51 ./myfile
kcsdev:/home/jmcnama> wc -l myfile
wc: cannot open myfile
kcsdev:/home/jmcnama> chmod 777 myfile
kcsdev:/home/jmcnama> wc -l myfile
2000 myfile
kcsdev:/home/jmcnama>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

INodes...

Could someone please explain to me the concept of INodes? Colour me a DOS/MacOS junkie, but I don't quite understand. Is there any relation to clusters, or physical distro.? ty. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boris888
3 Replies

2. Solaris

inodes???

Does anyone know what command I can run to check how many inodes are in use on a specific filesystem. On Data General servers I used to run the df -k command to check the status of the inodes for all file system.s (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soliberus
1 Replies

3. Solaris

inodes

hi i need to find all the files that r linked to the current file as i need to delete the file as well as few of its links :confused: thnx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: livemyway
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inodes

how is the location of inodes in the physical disk. are they sequential like: bootblock|superblock|inode1|inode2| ....| datablock1|datablock2|datablock3 or are they distributed among data blocks like: bootblock|superblock|inode1|datablock1|inode2|datablock2|datablock3|inode3 |datablock4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
3 Replies

5. Linux

Inodes

Any good sites, tutorials that explain Inodes clearly and completely ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin09
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Increasing inodes

Hi , Can someone help me to increase "inode" in solaris 9? Thanks in advance, Gowtham (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
8 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

inodes

Hi, sorry to have written in other language i think i could do that. I would to know A file system use inodes indexed allocation as a method of allocating space. In the inode blocks are 10 references to direct, 1 indirect reference to a single block, 1 block indirect reference to a reference to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maryprin
1 Replies

8. Solaris

/var: out of inodes

Dear Forum, Please help me i have SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 with sun solaris 8,if i check inode in /var like below: # df -F ufs -o i Filesystem iused ifree %iused Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 62354 310638 17% / /dev/md/dsk/d3 372992 0 100% /var... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredginting
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Inodes please

How can i trace Inode structure and modify it in UNIX kernel? We want to change the inode structure in the sense that we want to add a new field to the inode data structure. So we want to know how and where to trace inode (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Group_Inode
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum inodes

Hi, Is there a restriction in the number of inodes a particular directory can have in Solaris. If so how can we determine that. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: @bhi
3 Replies
rsvg(1) 							   User Commands							   rsvg(1)

NAME
rsvg - convert SVG files into raster images SYNOPSIS
rsvg [--dpi number] [--format png|jpeg] [--height integer] [--version] [--width integer] [--x-zoom number] [--y-zoom number] infile.svg outfile.png|outfile.jpeg DESCRIPTION
rsvg converts SVG images into PNG and JPEG raster images. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --dpi number Set the resolution of the image in pixels per inch. The default value is 90dpi. You can also use -d to specify this option. --format png | jSpecify the output format for the converted image. The default value is png. You can also use -f to specify this option. --height integerSpecify the height of the converted image. The default value is the height of the original image. You can also use -h to specify this option. --version Display rsvg version information. You can also use -v to specify this option. --width integer Specify the width of the converted image. The default value is the width of the original image. You can also use -w to specify this option. --x-zoom number X Zoom factor, as a percentage. The default value is 1.0. You can also use -x to specify this option. --y-zoom number Y Zoom factor, as a percentage. The default value is 1.0. You can also use -y to specify this option. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: infile.svg The name of the input SVG file. outfile.png The name of the converted PNG file. outfile.jpeg The name of the converted JPEG file. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Converting an SVG Image to PNG example% rsvg myfile.svg myfile.png Example 2: Converting an SVG Image to JPEG at 300dpi Resolution example% rsvg -f jpeg -d 300 myfile.svg myfile.jpg EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/rsvg Executable to convert SVG files into raster images ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-base-libs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
http://librsvg.sourceforge.net/ http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/ NOTES
Original man page written by Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com), Alex Larsson (alex@redhat.com), and others. Updated by Laszlo Peter, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 7 Sep 2004 rsvg(1)