Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How many UNIX engineers are necessary? Post 93666 by Perderabo on Wednesday 21st of December 2005 07:46:08 AM
Old 12-21-2005
It depends on a lot of factors. At least two for sure. What happens if you break a leg or something? A 1 to 100 ratio seems reasonable. We are at 1 to 135 or so... we could really use another person. We have stuff pretty much under control though. If you have some problems, maybe you need 3. 4 starts to sound excessive.

One bad scenario is a power loss to the computer room. (Despite a super ups backed up by a diesel generator, this happened to us!) How long would it take you to restart everything? Can your company live with that?

I would be interested in other peoples' opinions.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open source mathematical software for scientists & engineers

I'm look for some opinion on mathematical software from any engineers out there. What is the open source application that --in your opinion(s) -- best meets the same requirements as Mathematica or Maple? I'm running FreeBSD & Linux, btw. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaron Van
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Software engineers, real and otherwise

Hi. Rather than go off-topic in https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/45122-comparison-2-files-unix-2.html#post302145451I I started this thread. In addition to continuing the discussion here, there are related threads on this topic at: How do you "get into" the programming... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drl
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Lack of Solaris Engineers?

Are more and more companies moving away from Solaris? I am currently helping a company search for a Sr. Solaris Engineer near Philadelphia and it seems as if more candidates are in other UNIX flavors. Is this correct? Where is the best place to search for Solaris Engineers? Thank you for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickcrocemisi
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Lack of Solaris Engineers?

Are more and more companies moving away from Solaris? I am currently helping a company search for a Sr. Solaris Engineer near Philadelphia and it seems as if more candidates are in other UNIX flavors. Is this correct? Where is the best place to search for Solaris Engineers? Thank you for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickcrocemisi
1 Replies

5. Advertise with Us

Wanted- Linux Application Engineers

Optiver US LLC is a worldwide market maker and derivatives trading firm with offices in Chicago, Amsterdam and Sydney. Attracting very ambitious, talented and results-oriented individuals to become members of a highly selective trading application engineering team. This position is a primary... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb S.
0 Replies
gnome-sound-properties(1)					   User Commands					 gnome-sound-properties(1)

NAME
gnome-sound-properties - enable sound, and associate sounds with events SYNOPSIS
gnome-sound-properties [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
The Sound preference tool enables you to control when the GNOME sound server starts. You can also specify which sounds to play when partic- ular events occur. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching the Sound preference tool example% gnome-sound-properties EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-sound-proExecutable for the Sound preferences tool. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-desktop-preferences | +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Preference Tools Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. libesd(3), gnome-control-center(1), gnome-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 2 Oct 2003 gnome-sound-properties(1)