Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I want to turn my home computer into an internet server. Post 9365 by gparsons70 on Thursday 25th of October 2001 09:26:19 PM
Old 10-25-2001
I just got red hat linux server

I will let you know how it works out. One question is linux a type of unix or is it an os of its own and is a bit like unix?
Also , my cable company supports unix does that mean that they support linux?
I beleive that my cable modem will be connected to a net work card. If so would I just have to configure linux to the network card.
thanks for your input!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home network - can you have a primary name server, or only a caching-only name server

i'm setting up a solaris 9 box to be my home network's DNS server. actually it's up and running, but it's set as a caching-only name server. can i set it up to be the primary name server? what are the advantages if i can set it up to be a primary name server vs. a caching only name server? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

Internet access via home router / cablemodem and Solaris9

Hello all, Let me preface this note by expressing my thanks to anyone that can help. I have cable modem access to the internet and a D-Link router (which is also running DHCP) for multiple machine access. I have 3 windows machines running XP Pro and '98 working OK and able to access... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bpmoran3
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why doesn't this script work on my home computer?

Now it could be as simple as at work I use tsch, and at home it is bash. Warning, first post and I am a complete newbie to unix. At work, I use a simple script for updating a window when I am watching to see how a render is doing... while 1 echo --------------------------- echo ls -lrth... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iStealMusic
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

how to access computer behind cable modem, from outside,across "the Internet"

hi im running a web server running, connected to my cable modem, which, as usual, has 2 different network address. one from "outside"(ie from isp), and the other for the internal network. im giving a static ip to the server.how do i access this server from outside the network across "the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: R00tSc0rpi0n
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which Linux to get for home computer?

the most popular ones on distrowatch seems to be PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, openSUSE and Fedora. any tips, suggestions you can give this super newb about choosing something? i'd like to do a dual boot. Unfortuately my laptop's only got a single hard drive and it's only got half a gig of ram. Will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp server on old home computer - a few questions

Hi! Very new to unix stuff, and this is my first post to the forum. I'm pretty sure I know enough to know I know nothing, so please be patient with me and don't laugh too hard. Ok, I've got an old computer and a laptop - the old computer was bought in the mid 90's it's still running windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boredbody
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying script from server to home computer using nova terminal

I'm using a nova session to create and edit scripts on my school's unix server. I would like to pull my script off the server and put it in a notepad file on my desktop for the purposes of editing and copying and pasting my script in forums. Can someone please help me with this? I'm sick of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazeman27
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy the newest file from a different server to your home server.

Hi all, So I am on server 1, and I want to grab the newest file from a particular directory on server 2, and place this in a directory on server 1. I am trying to use: ls -tr | tail -1 This works, and gets me the newest file in a particular directory. Using svn `ls -tr | tail -1` etc I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lexx87
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

The C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer

Retro Games has announced that the C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer fan, available December 2019. See also: CNN: Iconic 80s computer The Commodore 64 to return with fully-functional keyboard YouTube: The C64 | Trailer ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
SMB_TRAFFIC_ANALYZER(8) 				    System Administration tools 				   SMB_TRAFFIC_ANALYZER(8)

NAME
vfs_smb_traffic_analyzer - log Samba VFS read and write operations through a socket to a helper application SYNOPSIS
vfs objects = smb_traffic_analyzer DESCRIPTION
This VFS module is part of the samba(7) suite. The vfs_smb_traffic_analyzer VFS module logs client write and read operations on a Samba server and sends this data over a socket to a helper program, which feeds a SQL database. More information on the helper programs can be obtained from the homepage of the project at: http://holger123.wordpress.com/smb-traffic-analyzer/ vfs_smb_traffic_analyzer currently is aware of the following VFS operations: write pwrite read pread vfs_smb_traffic_analyzer sends the following data in a fixed format seperated by a comma through either an internet or a unix domain socket: BYTES|USER|DOMAIN|READ/WRITE|SHARE|FILENAME|TIMESTAMP Description of the records: o BYTES - the length in bytes of the VFS operation o USER - the user who initiated the operation o DOMAIN - the domain of the user o READ/WRITE - either "W" for a write operation or "R" for read o SHARE - the name of the share on which the VFS operation occured o FILENAME - the name of the file that was used by the VFS operation o TIMESTAMP - a timestamp, formatted as "yyyy-mm-dd hh-mm-ss.ms" indicating when the VFS operation occured This module is stackable. OPTIONS
smb_traffic_analyzer:mode = STRING If STRING matches to "unix_domain_socket", the module will use a unix domain socket located at /var/tmp/stadsocket, if STRING contains an different string or is not defined, the module will use an internet domain socket for data transfer. smb_traffic_analyzer:host = STRING The module will send the data to the system named with the hostname STRING. smb_traffic_analyzer:port = STRING The module will send the data using the TCP port given in STRING. smb_traffic_analyzer:anonymize_prefix = STRING The module will replace the user names with a prefix given by STRING and a simple hash number. smb_traffic_analyzer:total_anonymization = STRING If STRING matches to 'yes', the module will replace any user name with the string given by the option smb_traffic_analyzer:anonymize_prefix, without generating an additional hash number. This means that any transfer data will be mapped to a single user, leading to a total anonymization of user related data. EXAMPLES
The module running on share "example_share", using a unix domain socket [example_share] path = /data/example vfs objects = smb_traffic_analyzer smb_traffic_analyzer:mode = unix_domain_socket The module running on share "example_share", using an internet socket, connecting to host "examplehost" on port 3491. [example_share] path = /data/example vfs objects = smb_traffic_analyzer smb_traffic_analyzer:host = examplehost smb_traffic_analyzer:port = 3491 The module running on share "example_share", using an internet socket, connecting to host "examplehost" on port 3491, anonymizing user names with the prefix "User". [example_share] path = /data/example vfs objects = smb_traffic_analyzer smb_traffic_analyzer:host = examplehost smb_traffic_analyzer:port = 3491 smb_traffic_analyzer:anonymize_prefix = User VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3.3 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original version of the VFS module and the helper tools were created by Holger Hetterich. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SMB_TRAFFIC_ANALYZER(8)