Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple Bash Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple Bash Script Post 93628 by reborg on Tuesday 20th of December 2005 08:13:34 PM
Old 12-20-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaphalanx
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but as I am new to bash shell scripting I'm not sure what:

Here's the code

webalizer.conf is sitting in the same directory as this file which is named webalizer.sh. Can someone tell me if I've got the syntax right -- it that's correct? I'm executing the file as root with sh ./webalizer.sh. webalizer -c file file executes correctly when I manually insert the variable values. The goal is to get this to run through cron.

Thanks!
Your script assumes webalizer is in the path, it may not be for this script; use the full path. Also that is not the correct way to run a script, in this case it will work becasue you've used bourne syntax, but in general using sh will only work correctly for an sh script, make the script executable and run it directly.

Also since this is a launch script I could consider using "exec" at the start of the last line, once it's launched you only need the webalizer process,not the script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple BASH script?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I'm sounding ... daft. I currently work in a Tech Support role. Every day we have to generate data by running around 10 .sh scripts. I was thinking instead of having to ./filename 10 times is it possible to right a new script that will run these for... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple bash script

I am writing a shell script in bash one of the thing I want to show is size of export /home du -sk /export/home/oracle | cut -c 1-5 echo "kbytes" when I run the script kbytes shows up in the second line, How can I append kbytes on the same line, such as 61233 kbytes please guide thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple BASH script not working?

So I need a script that does the following: If a certain user is logged in Run `command` Else Echo “incorrect user” This is my first stab...which doesn't work: #!/bin/bash X="user=`ls -l /dev/console | cut -d " " -f 4`" Y="foobar" echo $X echo $Y (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple bash script permission

I have a bash script, but it needs to have a simple protection with password. So if a user wants to run the script , there should be a kdialog to asks for a password.If the password is correct the script starts to run. It should not be the passord of root or another admin user.Just a password in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: poort
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with writing simple bash script

I want to write a bash script to: 1. Send an email from localhost to an external gmail account. (gmail then automatically forwards the message back to a pop account on the same server. 2. Script waits 3 minutes then checks to see if the email arrived, and if not, it sends an email to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallyanne
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a simple bash script

to gather the cpu utilization from a system in 5 minute intervals and direct output to file. I'm new at scripting and while this seems like an easy task I'm confused on where to start. thanks for any help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkeyes001
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple bash script help

Hi to everyone here, I'm a new user and relatively-new linuxer. I'm trying to write a script that checks if every file from a directory is present in a given list and if not, delete it. should be simple. But I think I've done half the work only: this is to create the reference list: for c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dentex
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stumped on simple BASH Script

Hello All, First and foremost, if I have posted this question in the wrong forum/section, I apologize. Okay so here is my dilemma. I have written a BASH script that automatically restarts a tomcat on a given server. That part was simple enough. However, now I would like to not only restart... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: UNM_Lobo
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Bash Script - Crontab

I've put together a very simple bash script to check for software patches and bounce the server, once complete. This is on a Mac server. The script works just fine upon execution, however, cron responds with: /bin/sh: /usr/local/bin/softwareupdates.sh: No such file or directory Crontab: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nvizn
6 Replies
scotty(1)                                                        Tnm Tcl Extension                                                       scotty(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scotty - A Tcl shell including the Tnm extensions. SYNOPSIS
scotty ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
scotty is a Tcl interpreter with extensions to obtain status and configuration information about TCP/IP networks. After startup, scotty evaluates the commands stored in .scottyrc and .tclshrc in the home directory of the user. SCRIPT FILES
If scotty is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input scotty will read Tcl commands from the named file; scotty will exit when it reaches the end of the file. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/scotty2.1.11 then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that scotty has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the scotty executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using scotty exec scotty2.1.11 "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the scotty binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if scotty is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the scotty script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and scotty to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up scotty to reprocess the entire script. When scotty starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. VARIABLES
Scotty sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which scotty was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if scotty is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When scotty is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt scotty will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. SEE ALSO
Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm scotty(1)