Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I want to turn my home computer into an internet server. Post 9344 by Furtoes00 on Thursday 25th of October 2001 02:10:04 PM
Old 10-25-2001
Same situation

I was in the same situation. I went out and bombarded my ISP's tech support with questions, and this is what I got:

All domain names are registered with Network Solutions, the "big daddy" over the internet. Network solutions pairs up DN's with IP address's: yahoo.com = 26.244.189.12

To keep the IP current, you must have the same IP all the time. This is called a Static IP, as opposed to a dynamic IP, in which you get a new IP address every time you connect to the 'net.

You would also want 24-7 hookup to the 'net, so your pages won't go down. Once you have these two things, you can host all the domain names you want.

Hearing these requirements, I attacked my local cable provider with gusto. Since a cable connection is always on, (hence a static IP), why couldn't I serve files off a cable connection? Thats alot faster than T1, which is what my ISP uses!!

The answer is that cable service is designed for downloading. The only thing going upstream is going to be requests for information. Once you start uploading HTML files to your viewers, you will be found out. Its somewhere in the contract.

I am attempting to host my own web/email/telnet/bbs server. As part of this plan, I am getting linux this week. If you find more info, tell me.

Have fun, and may the penguin be with you!!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home network - can you have a primary name server, or only a caching-only name server

i'm setting up a solaris 9 box to be my home network's DNS server. actually it's up and running, but it's set as a caching-only name server. can i set it up to be the primary name server? what are the advantages if i can set it up to be a primary name server vs. a caching only name server? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

Internet access via home router / cablemodem and Solaris9

Hello all, Let me preface this note by expressing my thanks to anyone that can help. I have cable modem access to the internet and a D-Link router (which is also running DHCP) for multiple machine access. I have 3 windows machines running XP Pro and '98 working OK and able to access... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bpmoran3
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why doesn't this script work on my home computer?

Now it could be as simple as at work I use tsch, and at home it is bash. Warning, first post and I am a complete newbie to unix. At work, I use a simple script for updating a window when I am watching to see how a render is doing... while 1 echo --------------------------- echo ls -lrth... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iStealMusic
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

how to access computer behind cable modem, from outside,across "the Internet"

hi im running a web server running, connected to my cable modem, which, as usual, has 2 different network address. one from "outside"(ie from isp), and the other for the internal network. im giving a static ip to the server.how do i access this server from outside the network across "the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: R00tSc0rpi0n
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which Linux to get for home computer?

the most popular ones on distrowatch seems to be PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, openSUSE and Fedora. any tips, suggestions you can give this super newb about choosing something? i'd like to do a dual boot. Unfortuately my laptop's only got a single hard drive and it's only got half a gig of ram. Will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp server on old home computer - a few questions

Hi! Very new to unix stuff, and this is my first post to the forum. I'm pretty sure I know enough to know I know nothing, so please be patient with me and don't laugh too hard. Ok, I've got an old computer and a laptop - the old computer was bought in the mid 90's it's still running windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boredbody
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying script from server to home computer using nova terminal

I'm using a nova session to create and edit scripts on my school's unix server. I would like to pull my script off the server and put it in a notepad file on my desktop for the purposes of editing and copying and pasting my script in forums. Can someone please help me with this? I'm sick of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazeman27
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy the newest file from a different server to your home server.

Hi all, So I am on server 1, and I want to grab the newest file from a particular directory on server 2, and place this in a directory on server 1. I am trying to use: ls -tr | tail -1 This works, and gets me the newest file in a particular directory. Using svn `ls -tr | tail -1` etc I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lexx87
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

The C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer

Retro Games has announced that the C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer fan, available December 2019. See also: CNN: Iconic 80s computer The Commodore 64 to return with fully-functional keyboard YouTube: The C64 | Trailer ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
IFSERVICES(5)						       Network configuration						     IFSERVICES(5)

NAME
ifservices-* - control network services with ifup/down SYNOPSIS
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifservices-<configuration_name>/ DESCRIPTION
The directory /etc/sysconfig/network/ifservices-<configuration_name>/ is read by the script /etc/sysconfig/network/scripts/ifup-services which starts and stops system services when an interface is set up/down. ifup-services is used by /sbin/ifup, which is the command line user interface for setting up network interfaces. This is useful if you don't have a permanent network connection. If you sometimes boot without network and plug in the network cable later you can add links to system services in this directory. These services will then be started with ifup and stopped with ifdown. The configuration name used for ifservices-* should match exactly the configuration name of the ifcfg-* file for the interface. For the usage with NetworkManager (where you don't necessarily need a ifcfg-* file) you can also use /etc/sysconfig/network/ifser- vices-<interface>-<essid>/ (for wlan interfaces) or if that does not exist /etc/sysconfig/network/ifservices-<interface>/. As a final fallback /etc/sysconfig/network/ifservices/ is checked as well. If NetworkManager is active services will be stopped after the interface is down. The links in this directory are equal to the links in the runlevel directories /etc/init.d/rc*.d/ They have to point to service start scripts which are usually in /etc/init.d/. Links starting with 'S' are start links, which are called in alphabetical order after ifup has set up the interface. Links starting with 'K' are kill links which are called before ifdown takes down the interface. See also section Sequencing Directories in boot (7). EXAMPLE
In this example we use an interface with MAC address 00:de:ad:be:af:00. This interface is not always physically connected. As soon as you plug in the cable ypbind and autofs should be started. When you pull the cable they should be stopped. This can be reached with: in file /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth-id-00:de:ad:be:af:00 ... STARTMODE=ifplugd ... in dir /etc/sysconfig/network/ifservices-eth-id-00:de:ad:be:af:00/ S10portmap -> /etc/init.d/portmap S20ypbind -> /etc/init.d/ypbind S30autofs -> /etc/init.d/autofs S20autofs -> /etc/init.d/autofs K30ypbind -> /etc/init.d/ypbind Now you have to disable the start of this services at boot time chkconfig ypbind off chkconfig autofs off Notes: You may call scripts/create-ifservices-directory [<interface_name>] to create a directory with the links from this example. This will cre- ate the directory ifservices-<interface_name> or if no interface name was given ifservices-template. Maybe you have to add also variable IFPLUGD_PRIORITY. For details about startmode ifplugd read ifup (8). The service portmap had to be added because ypbind needs it. This service is still started at boot time because it does not need an active network connection. But ypbind may now be started earlier as usual. Therefore we make sure that portmap is started before. Starting an already running service again does not affect the service. SEE ALSO
ifup(8), ifcfg(5). AUTHOR
Christian Zoz <zoz@suse.de> sysconfig February 2005 IFSERVICES(5)