Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tab completion using ! history command Post 93294 by reborg on Saturday 17th of December 2005 03:30:16 PM
Old 12-17-2005
I'm pretty sure you can do exactly what you want with bash as your shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tab Completion on Solaris 10

Hi, Is there a way to turn on tab completetion on Solaris 10? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annointed3
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tab completion gubbins

Hello all How do you configure unix terminal to list files as you tab complete. I'm using a unix terminal at work and when i first started tab complete on a folder would list all matches if there were more than one. eg. monkey.xml mon.xml monkeyboy.xml in one folder if i cd into... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNUless
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tab completion in csh

Is it possible to set up my .cshrc so that a single tab attempts to autocomplete, while a double tab gives a list of all possible options. In other words, I want it to work like bash in this regard. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: James McMurray
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

color terminal and tab completion?

hello, i'm a linux zealot (fedora), so i know a some about unix. the company i work for uses HP-UX though and there are a few quirks i'd like smooth out by making them work more like my beloved redhat type systems...=) right now they have all users using ksh and completion is done by hitting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: clockworks
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

link scripts to file extensions for tab completion

Is there a way to link a script in my ~/bin with file extension priority for tab completion? for example, if the script I have could only look at .tex files, and I have 6 files in the same directory with the same name, but different extensions: index.tex index.dvi index.toc ... etc... it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyramation
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

hp unix doesn't have tab completion

hi guys, i am new to HP unix , i am doing Solaris , i am just asking is there any thing like "bash" in hp unix including tab completion? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagigg
8 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

TAB completion in cygwin

Hi there, I ve been using cygwin for some time now without any problems. However, recently I ve mapped a new drive on Windows and are now having problems with TAB completion for awk scripts in cygwin on this newly mapped drive (cygdrive t). I can access and run all files but cygwin doesn't do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommes
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange tab-completion behavior with zsh in screen

I'm running Mac OS, using the latest version of zsh. I've noticed that I have funny tab-completion behavior when inside a screen session. Specifically, once I press tab, the first part of my command seems to be duplicated before the completion results are inserted. For example, if I type... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshaul
14 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Cygwin: no tab completion options when using tilda

Hi, I am using cygwin on windows machine. Tab completion works as expected in almost all areas, except for when I use tilda (~) to access files/dir under my home dir. When i type 'cd ~/' and hit TAB nothing happens, no completion options are given. I can type just 'cd' and it will change to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: centerback
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash Tab Completion Hanging

Hi, I'm having a problem with tab completion at the bash command line. For some reason, whenever I type g<tab>, the terminal will freeze up for 5-10 seconds before asking me if I want to display all 325 possibilities. I thought that maybe it's because of the high number of commands, but I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raz716
4 Replies
Tcl_RecordAndEvalObj(3) 				      Tcl Library Procedures					   Tcl_RecordAndEvalObj(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_RecordAndEvalObj - save command on history list before evaluating SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> int Tcl_RecordAndEvalObj(interp, cmdPtr, flags) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Tcl interpreter in which to evaluate command. Tcl_Obj *cmdPtr (in) Points to a Tcl object containing a command (or sequence of commands) to execute. int flags (in) An OR'ed combination of flag bits. TCL_NO_EVAL means record the command but do not evaluate it. TCL_EVAL_GLOBAL means evaluate the command at global level instead of the current stack level. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_RecordAndEvalObj is invoked to record a command as an event on the history list and then execute it using Tcl_EvalObjEx (or Tcl_Global- EvalObj if the TCL_EVAL_GLOBAL bit is set in flags). It returns a completion code such as TCL_OK just like Tcl_EvalObjEx, as well as a result object containing additional information (a result value or error message) that can be retrieved using Tcl_GetObjResult. If you do not want the command recorded on the history list then you should invoke Tcl_EvalObjEx instead of Tcl_RecordAndEvalObj. Normally Tcl_RecordAndEvalObj is only called with top-level commands typed by the user, since the purpose of history is to allow the user to re- issue recently invoked commands. If the flags argument contains the TCL_NO_EVAL bit then the command is recorded without being evaluated. SEE ALSO
Tcl_EvalObjEx, Tcl_GetObjResult KEYWORDS
command, event, execute, history, interpreter, object, record Tcl 8.0 Tcl_RecordAndEvalObj(3)