Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ksh telnet script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh telnet script Post 93162 by bakunin on Friday 16th of December 2005 05:36:29 AM
Old 12-16-2005
Maybe this is a really dumb question but: why don't you use rsh/rexec/remsh/et al. for this very purpose? Aren't these tools designed exactly for your situation?

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

telnet with ksh

please i need to make telnet in an script but i cant use delay into the instruction because i dont know how many time takes an instruction to compleate in the other computer.How can i do? is there any form to do that?? please help sorry for my english.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: taboaspedro
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

telnet with ksh

please i need to make telnet in an script but i cant use delay into the instruction because i dont know how many time takes an instruction to compleate in the other computer.How can i do? is there any form to do that?? please help sorry for my english.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: taboaspedro
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet through script

Hi, How to write a script to perform telnet/ftp operation. Also please refer some site to get reference about shell scripting. Thanks in advance -Arun. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arun.viswanath
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing a ksh script from another ksh script

Hi, I'm new to unix scripting.How can i call a script from another script. I have a.ksh and b.ksh .I have to call b.ksh from a.ksh after it is successfully exceuted. I tried using #!/bin/ksh -x in a.ksh and at the end i have used /path/b.ksh My problem is it is executing only a.ksh.it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tracing a ksh script within a ksh script

I normally trace a script with the ksh -x <script name> and redirect strderr to file. But if you have a script like the examble below...... vi hairy bear=`grep bear animals` if then ksh more_animals fi If I ksh -x hairy it won't trace "more_animals" unless I put a -x in it. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shorty
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Test telnet and exit

Hi, I need to do a test Telnet in KSH and if the connection is good then disconnect the telnet session with out logging in and without exiting the shell script. Example output of a good connection: $telnet xxx.xx.xx.xxx xxxx Trying xxx.xx.xx.xxx... Connected to xxx.xx.xx.xxx. Escape... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: calex
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using telnet inside a ksh

Hello, i am trying to use telnet inside of a ksh script. i would like to do like the following: #!/bin/ksh ... user="user" hostname="hostname" telnet -l $user $hostname |& wait #end of the ksh and with this piece of code, i would like to telnet another machine, and let the user use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jidma
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet Script

Hello, I wrote a script for doing telnet.However the requirement got changed and now I have to write a telnet script that will 1. Do the telnet from all the virtual ips in a box(Ex: x.x.x.x is the box ip, and x.x.x.1,x.x.x.2 etc are virtual ips associated with that box.) 2. The port range... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
3 Replies
REXEC(1)						      General Commands Manual							  REXEC(1)

NAME
rexec -- remote execution client for an exec server SYNOPSIS
rexec [ -abcdhns -l username -p password ] host command DESCRIPTION
Rexec calls the rexec(3) routine to act as a client for the remote host's rexecd(8) server. It asks that ``command'' be run on the host computer, using username/password authentication. See rexec(3) and rexecd(8) for details of the protocol. OPTIONS
Rexec accepts several options, but only three are likely to be very useful: -l username Set the log-in name on the remote host to username. -p password Provide the password for the remote account. The command line argument will be blanked after being parsed, to prevent it from being seen with ps(1). However, it is still not very secure to type the password on the command line. In particular, be sure that the shell's history file is protected. -n Explicitly prompt for name and password, even if provided in the environment, in the $HOME/.netrc file, or in the environmental variables REXEC_USER and REXEC_PASS. Other options that might be useful with non-standard remote exec daemons, or to debug connections: -a Do not set up an auxiliary channel for standard error from command; the remote standard error and output are then both returned on the local standard output. By default, rexec asks that a separate channel be set up for diagnostic output from the remote command. -b Use signal handling as in BSD rsh(1). Only the signals SIGINT, SIGQUIT, and SIGTERM are echoed to the remote process. They do not remain raised locally, so rexec waits for the remote command to shutdown its side of the socket. Also, CNTRL-Z will only suspend execution locally--the remote command may continue to run. -c Do not close remote standard input when local standard input closes. Normally the standard input to the remote command is closed when the local standard input is closed. -d Turn on debugging information. In particular the command sent to the remote host will be echoed. -h Print a usage message. -s Do not echo signals received by the rexec onto the remote process. Normally, signals which can be trapped are passed on to the remote process; then, when you type CNTRL-C, the remote process terminates as well. USERNAME AND PASSWORD
Rexec(1) searches for the username and password in the following order: 1. If -n is given on the command line, the user will always be prompted for both, even if they are also given on the command line. 2. The command line will be parsed 3. If the environmental variables REXEC_USER or REXEC_PASS are defined, they will define the username or password. 4. The $HOME/.netrc file will be searched. See ftp(1) for a description of this file's format. 5. Finally, the user will be prompted if either the username or password remains undefined. SECURITY
Users of this command should be aware that rexec(3) transmits their password to the remote host clear text, not encrypted. If the network is not secure to the remote host, the password can be comprimised. SIGNALS
Without the -b option, all signals which can be handled are echoed to the remote process. Afterwards, however, they remain raised in the local process. Typically, this means that rexec(1) will exit after receiving a fatal signal, even if the remote process has arranged to handle or ignore it. Differing operating systems use differing signal numbers; for example AIX and SunOS use 18 for SIGTSTP (^Z), while Linux uses 20. There- fore, it may have a different effect remotely than locally. In particular, typing CNTL-Z may not suspend the execution of the remote process. EXAMPLE
rexec othermachine cat ">remote_file; date" <local_file will send local_file to the othermachine as remote_file. BUGS
Please send bug reports, system incompatibilities, and job offers to the author. SEE ALSO
rexec(3), rexecd(8), rsh(1) AUTHOR
Michael Sadd mas22@cornell.edu http://www.tc.cornell.edu/~sadd/ Thanks to Orange Gopher (2/10/97) and Johannes Plass (plass@dipmza.physik.uni-mainz.de, Oct. 17 1996) for useful suggestions. February 14, 1997 REXEC(1)