Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming A Pointer to non-Virtual Address, and All of my Hard drive Post 92525 by jim mcnamara on Monday 12th of December 2005 09:55:26 AM
Old 12-12-2005
What you want to do is direct physical I/O. It is completely hardware/kernel depdendant. You will probably have to write a kernel mode module, since user mode I/O does not have access to an address on a disk. You do realize you can trash your whole filesystem by writing something in the wrong place.

You'll have to get information on your kernel's source, and actually create a system call to do what you want, if one doesn't already exist.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

3. Programming

address of pointer

Hi i'm new to c programming and i'm trying to change the address of a pointer/variable but i can't seem to get it right, I have this char heap; char *firstFree = heap; char *allocMem( int size ) { void *malloc(size_t sizeofint); /*allocate space for an array with size... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poison Ivy
19 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What would the physical address be for virtual address?

Hi guys, I got one problem which I definetily no idea. What would the physical address be for virtual address? 1) 2ABC 2) 3F4B Here is the page table:see attached Thank you sos sososososso much!! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lemon_06
0 Replies

5. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing pointer address

How can I print the memory address of a pointer using printf (or any other STDOUT functions?). I see in Linux its %p but not in unix, help? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
5 Replies

7. Programming

Pointer and address

This code is to print out the program name and arguments list one by one: 1 #include<stdio.h> 2 3 void main(int argc, char *argv) 4 { 5 int iCount = 0; 6 while (iCount < argc) { 7 printf("argc:%d\t%s\n",iCount, argv); 8 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
14 Replies
svatophys(9r)															     svatophys(9r)

NAME
svatophys - General: Converts a system virtual address to a physical address SYNOPSIS
kern_return_t svatophys( vm_offset_t kern_addr, vm_offset_t *phys_addr ); ARGUMENTS
Specifies the kernel virtual address. Specifies a pointer to the physical address to be filled in. DESCRIPTION
The svatophys routine converts a system virtual address to the corresponding physical address. All address and data structure manipulation done within the kernel is performed using system virtual addresses. Typically, system virtual addresses are a means of mapping physical memory and I/O space, which often consists of device registers and DMA buffers. In contrast to this, devices are usually unaware of any virtual addressing and for this reason use physical addresses. You use the svatophys routine to perform this address translation. As an example of where you can use this address translation, a disk device driver can use DMA buffers to transfer blocks of data to the disk (for the case of a write operation). The data to be written to disk is present in system memory at a system virtual address known to the driver. To initiate the DMA operation, the disk driver can set up a command packet to specify a write operation to the underlying disk controller hardware. This write command packet contains (among other things) the location of the DMA buffer as a physical address and the length of the buffer. Here, the driver calls the svatophys routine to translate the system virtual address of the DMA buffer to a physical address in the command packet issued to the disk driver. RETURN VALUES
The svatophys routine returns the following: The address translation has been completed successfully. Unable to perform address transla- tion. This value indicates that the address specified by the kern_addr argument is not a valid kernel or system virtual address. svatophys(9r)