Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting typeset and values returned from awk output Post 92345 by prathom on Friday 9th of December 2005 12:28:11 PM
Old 12-09-2005
Network typeset and values returned from awk output

Somebody can please give a highlight on this. The problem shows only on Linux(Redhat) not any other unix flavors
Smilie
Linux :
$unset m
$m=`find . -newer rman_padev_20051206195000.out -name "*L0.rman" -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '{ s+=$5 } END{printf("%.0f", s)}'`
$echo $m
$typeset -i i
$((i=$m*1)); echo $i

$unset m
$typeset -i m
$m=`find . -newer rman_padev_20051206195000.out -name "*L0.rman" -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '{ s+=$5 } END{printf("%.0f", s)}'`
$echo $m

I tried to use '%d' or '%i' in awk print format. But that return scientific (exponential) output in linux ksh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

HTTP Query Request & Parsing returned XML output

I have a PERL script from which I need to make a HTTP request to Web Servlet (Essentially a URL with variables and values like &Variable1=AAAAAA&Variable2=BBBBBBBBB&Variable3=CCCCCCC). The Web servlet returns an XML result which needs to be parsed for the contents of the result within the program.... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign values from awk output - help

Dear All, I have a command which gives the number of fields of each line of a comma-separated file. sthng like this : cat QDB_20071126_002.bad | awk -F"," '{ print NF }' I need to assign the first output and the last output of the above command to variables in a script. Need help to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrishnaSaran
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep, awk, typeset in a shell script..

For e.g I have a file named "relation" which has three coloums i.e JOHN MARY JACK PETE ALISIA JONNY TONY JACKIE VICTOR If I do grep -w 'JOHN' relation | awk '{print""$1" is husband of "$2" & father of "$3""}' It gives out JOHN i husband of MARY & father of JACK (which is desired... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick_25
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning the output of a command to a variable, where there may be >1 line returned?

Hello I am using unix CLI commands for the Synergy CM software. The command basically searches for a folder ID and returns the names of the projects the folder sits in. The result is assigned to a variable: FIND_USE=`ccm folder -fu -u -f "%name"-"%version" ${FOLDER_ID}` When the command... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep/awk/egrep two values for given output?

Dear Friends, I have a command which can result following output. Packet is: /var/adm/yyyy/pkt6043 Intended for network : /vob/repo I would like to retrive pkt6043 and /vob/repo using single command. Blue color test will be always contstant and red color text will be dynamic ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding values returned through foreach

Hi Folks I wanted to do something like this : Go through all the top_level_dirs inside a particular dir. Grep a particular string in the files in each of those dirs. Count the occurence of that string in that file Keep adding these (wc) values so that I can know the total occurences of that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abcdino
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture query returned values in file.

Hi All, I am connecting to Oracle DB from UNIX script. Want to capture all dates between start date and end date and store them in file. Once this is done, want to read dates one by one. How to achive this in UNIX and Oracle? Please let me know if you have any idea on the same. Thanks and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare to values returned from sql in shell scripting?

hey i am using this code to connect to sql , store the value in variable and then compare it with another variable after some time by executing the same query but the desired result is not coming #!/bin/bash val=$(sqlplus -s rte/rted2@rel76d2 <<ENDOFSQL set heading off set feedback off... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramsavi
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: How to avoid warnings for superfluous values returned?

Hi all, a question for the Perl knowledgeable: I have use warnings; enabled. I use something like: ($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year,$wday,$yday,$isdst) = localtime(time); In the further code I only work with some of the returned variables, as the others I have no need for. Though the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading output returned to OS from java program.

I am writing one shell script in which there is one Java program call. I want to stop execution of shell script ahead of java program if the java program returns 1 . How to read that value of java program from OS ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ParthThakkar
3 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)