Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Joining 3 lines at a time
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Joining 3 lines at a time Post 92295 by Sabari Nath S on Friday 9th of December 2005 06:41:05 AM
Old 12-09-2005
Joining 3 lines at a time

Hi,

I have a file which has the contents as below :

07:38:36 EST
date 20041117
07:39:06 EST
07:00:29 EDT
date 20050504
07:25:16 EDT
07:00:40 EDT
date 20050505
07:23:12 EDT

I need to delete the new line character from all lines except 3rd,6th,9th etc. lines so that i get the output as below :

07:38:36 EST date 20041117 07:39:06 EST
07:00:29 EDT date 20050504 07:25:16 EDT
07:00:40 EDT date 20050505 07:23:12 EDT

How can I achieve this ?? I tried some combinations of sed which I know but no success ...... for eg: sed 'N;s/\n/ /' can join pairs of lines ... but not 3 lines at a time .. I am searching for some kind of one liner like that .. not a script ..

Can anyone pls help ??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining 2 lines in a file together

Hi guys, I've got a log file which has entries that look like this: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 06/08/04 07:57:57 AMQ9002: Channel program started. EXPLANATION: Channel program 'INSCCPQ1.HSMTSPQ1' started. ACTION: None. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines from two files - please help

Hello, I have 2 files say File 1 has ABC DEF GHI File 2 has 123 456 789 I need output as ABC 123 DEF 456 GHI 789 I tried awk and sed but not able to get it in the right way. :confused: Please help. Thanks (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandra004
25 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining 2 lines into single one

i have a script that joins 2 lines of a file into one line and again next 2 line into one line. if number of line is 4 then after joining it should be 2 lines in a file my file a1.txt has some of the below lines 1-GH32X, CC, AMR, Number of Intervals Not Inserted: 1 / 95 1-150KP1, CC,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining two lines

Hi , I want to join two lines in a file, where the second line contain query string. if it doesn't contain that string i don't want to join e.g. Input file is as following: name fame game none none none name fame game cat eat mice I need output file as name fame game none none... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashrafonics
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help joining lines

Hi All, I need the command to join 2 lines into one. I found lots of threads but none give me the sollution. Probably because unix scripting is one of my best features ;) I got a logfile where line 2 needs to be joined with line 1, lines 4 needs to be joined with line 3 etc If you need... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rene21976
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching lines using the date, and then joining the lines

Hi Guys, Was trying to attempt the below using awk and sed, have no luck so far, so any help would be appreciated. Current Text File: The first line has got an "\n", and the second line has got spaces/tabs then the word and "\n" TIME SERVER/CLIENT TEXT... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk joining lines

Hello, I'm trying to write a piece of code in awk, which should be able recognize by some regexps two lines and then join them together (maybe write them without \n would be enough, I don't know).. the thing is that every line in the file i'm working with starts with some number, for example: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: midin
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in a file - help!

I'm looking for a way to join lines in a file; e.,g consider the following R|This is line 1 R|This is line 2 R|This is line 3 R|This is line 4 R|This is line 5 what i want to end up with is R|This is line 1 R|This is line 2 R|This is line 3 R|This is line 4 R|This is line 5 so... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Storms
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in different way

Hi all, I'm excited to the part of unix.com forum, and noob to it. I have an query, where I have an file and it contains data like this use thread when posting do no I was expecting the result as use thread thread when when posting posting do do no use thread when thread when... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jose Nirmal
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining broken lines and removing empty lines

Hi - I have req to join broken lines and remove empty lines but should NOT be in one line. It has to be as is line by line. The challenge here is there is no end of line/start of line char. thanks in advance Source:- 2003-04-34024|04-10-2003|Claims|Claim|01-13-2003|Air Bag:Driver;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jackceasar123
7 Replies
tztab(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  tztab(4)

NAME
tztab - time zone adjustment table for date and ctime() DESCRIPTION
The file describes the differences between Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) and local time. Several local areas can be represented simul- taneously with historical detail. The file consists of one or more time zone adjustment entries. The first line of the entry contains a unique string that may match the value of the string in the user's environment. The format is where is the time zone name or abbreviation, diff is the difference in hours from UTC, and is the name or abbreviation of the "Daylight Savings" time zone. Fractional values of diff are expressed in minutes preceded by a colon. Each such string will start with an alphabetic character. The second and subsequent lines of each entry details the time zone adjustments for that time zone. The lines contain seven fields each. The first six fields specify the first minute in which the time zone adjustment, specified in the seventh field, applies. The fields are separated by spaces or tabs. The first six are integer patterns that specify the minute (0-59), hour (0-23), day of the month (1-31), month of the year (1-12), year (1970-2038), and day of the week (0-6, with 0=Sunday). The minute, hour, and month of the year must contain a number in the (respective) range indicated above. The day of the month, year, and day of the week can contain a number as above or two numbers separated by a minus (indicating an inclusive range). Either the day of the month or the day of the week field must be a range, the other must be simple number. The seventh field is a string that describes the time zone adjustment in its simplest form: where is an alphabetic string giving the time zone name or abbreviation, and diff is the difference in hours from UTC. must match either the field or the field in the first line of the time zone adjustment entry. Any fractional diff is shown in minutes. Comments begin with a in the first column, and include all characters up to a newline. Comments are ignored. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The time zone adjustment table for the Eastern Time Zone in the United States is: Normally (as indicated in the first line) Eastern Standard Time is five hours earlier than UTC. During Daylight Savings time, it changes to a 4 hour difference. The first time Daylight Savings Time took effect (second line) was on January 6, 1974 at 3:00 a.m., EDT. Note that the minute before was 1:59 a.m., EST. The change back to standard time took effect (sixth line) on the last Sunday in November of the same year. At that point, the time went from 1:59 a.m., EDT to 1:00 a.m., EST. The transition to Daylight Savings Time since then has gone from the last Sunday in February (third line) to the last Sunday in April (fourth line) to the first Sunday in April (fifth line). The return to standard time for the same period has remained at the last Sunday in October (seventh line). AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
SEE ALSO
date(1), ctime(3C), environ(5). tztab(4)