Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Doubt in find command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Doubt in find command Post 92294 by vino on Friday 9th of December 2005 06:24:05 AM
Old 12-09-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
Hi All,

I wanted to list all the files in the current directory which contains the pattern "error". I tried the following grep command

Code:
grep -i 'error' *.*

but i got the error message "ksh: /usr/bin/grep: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long."

Any idea why the grep didn't work?
Note: There are hundreds of files which contains this pattern.
Not sure if the length makes a difference. You might want to see this post - Command line buffer limit? and Grep line length constraint problem - help!

Last edited by vino; 12-09-2005 at 07:30 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Doubt in SED command

PLEASE EXPLANIN ME... sed 's~\(.*\)\(<name>\)\(.*\)\(</name>\)\(.*\)~\2\3\4~' this is the format <start><name>123<\name><addr>BAC<\addr><loc>sfo<\loc></start> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doubt in tr command

Hi, I am trying to understand a script and found a line as follows: tr '\211\233\240' '\040' < $IN_FILE | tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176' > $TEMP_FILE Can any one explain the above line .. What are they trying to translate using the tr command.. I have not used tr command.. so feeling little bit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt in banner command !!!

hello, I am using banner command in my shell.I used :- The problem is that the output is printed in 3 separate lines.I want to display it in a single line.If the size is not enough then at least 2 words should come in the same line. Can you tell me what is the option in banner that would help... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

locate command doubt !!!

Hello, I want to search for a file/directory named "abc" which is located anywhere in the given unix system. I am using the command :- But the problem is that this is giving me all combinations of files with have 'abc' in their name. But can I know the option to be used to get the location... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doubt in tar command

Hello sir, We can archive a file by :tar -cvf a.tar a.txt AND We can get it back by : tar -xvf a.tar I want to save the file extracted from a.tar into a specific location.How can I give the destination path in the above command ??? (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command doubt

i have input files like this SFE_DOC_DATE (SFE_DOC_DATE:UniChar.:): "04/18/20" SFE_PSTNG_DATE (SFE_PSTNG_DATE:UniChar.:): "04/18/20" SFE_CREATEDON (SFE_CREATEDON:UniChar.:): "05/31/20" SFE_CLEAR_DATE (SFE_CLEAR_DATE:UniChar.:): "(NULL)" SFE_CLR_DOC_NO... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

One doubt regarding chmod command

which one is correct chmod 777 file.txt or chmod 777 / file.txt what is difference in these two commands? thanx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in xargs command

Hi, What is the difference in capitalizing the option 'i' of xargs command, (i.e) xargs -i and xargs -I? Also, what is the difference between the below 2 commands? output_from_cmd | xargs -I {} grep '{}' file output_from_cmd | xargs -I grep '{}' file Any efficiency or performance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt in ls command

dear users and experts, i am stuck withis command and i am unable to understand what is it doing?? ls -d * (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshank
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx command doubt

hi all, I would need to add the description in the below syntax. let me know the below syntaxt how it can be changed to add the description in the below. ps -ef | grep "server" | mailx -s "servers currently which are running" operational@acel.com Server 62 -> Used for User acessing.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
14 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD