Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cut a number of lines out of a file Post 92240 by networkfre@k on Thursday 8th of December 2005 03:59:38 PM
Old 12-08-2005
cut a number of lines out of a file

Hi,

I have a text file contaning around 150 lines, each line is a hostname.
I want to read 4 lines/hostnames and save those 4 lines to a seperate file.
say the big file is /files/bigfile and I want to have a lot of files in /files named
/files/smallfile.1 , /files/smallfile.2 and so on...

I have no idea how to do this

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut 11 lines from a file

All, I have a file that I want to read, cut 12 lines and direct into a new file, and continue to do this until I reach the EOF. How do I do it? can I use cat or read to do this? the file is formated with repetitive output consisting of these 12 lines date: <Timestamp> dev_id: <device ID>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: turk22
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

total number of lines in a file

Hi , How about find the total number of lines in a file ? How can i do that with the "grep" command ? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find number of lines in a file

Hi How do I find number of lines of a file? Below commands returned 0. But, the file is showing 20 lines when I open it in editplus tool. Each line contains 601 columns. Please advise I want to incorporate some word at the begining of each of those 20 lines -Somesh $ wc -l <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: somesh_p
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut lines in a file.

Hi Everyone, I have a file a.txt, inside is Mon Jul 20 00:05:07 2009 12 Mon Jul 20 00:05:08 2009 1 The output should be a.txt, inside is 00:05:07 12 00:05:08 1 My method is `cat a.txt | cut -f4,6 -d' ' > a.txt.tmp;mv -rf a.txt.tmp a.txt`; Is any good way to do this? like perl... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

6. AIX

How to cut a flat file according to a certain number of characters?

hello everybody i am looking for a shell to cut a flat file (with a long unique line) according to a certain number of characters and redirect every result to an output file. here is an example MyFile : 12 3 456 12 3 456 12 3 456 ..... and i took every 9-characters including BLANKS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastlane3000
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut particular lines from a file

how can I cut out partiluar lines like from line 233 to 347 ? any idea? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut lines from log file and save it another file

Dears, i want cut the lines from a log file. Example of the log file as follows.. May 27, 2011 5:54:51 PM com.huawei.ivas.utilities.sm.client.SMDeliverContrUtil isDeliverSM FINE: May 27, 2011 5:54:51 PM com.huawei.ivas.utilities.sm.client.SMUtil addSysUpMsgLog INFO: . The message content... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonypalokkaran
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of lines in file

How can I find the number of lines in a file excluding lines starting with #? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of Lines in a file

Hi All, This is my Scenario: I wanted to check if a particular name or pattern is present in a file based of that rest of the program should proceed. I want to print '0' if no matching found. v_File_Count=`grep -i "$v_Name_Pattern" $File_Path/Master_File_List.txt | wc -l` The above command... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TechGyaann
5 Replies
SOELIM(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SOELIM(1)

NAME
soelim - interpret .so requests in groff input SYNOPSIS
soelim [ -Cv ] [ -Idir ] [ files... ] It is possible to have whitespace between the -I command line option and its parameter. DESCRIPTION
soelim reads files and replaces lines of the form .so file by the contents of file. It is useful if files included with so need to be preprocessed. Normally, soelim should be invoked with the -s option of groff. Note that there must be no whitespace between the leading dot and the two characters `s' and `o'. Otherwise, only groff interprets the .so request (and soelim ignores it). OPTIONS
-C Recognize .so even when followed by a character other than space or newline. -Idir This option may be used to specify a directory to search for files (both those on the command line and those named in .so lines). The current directory is always searched first. This option may be specified more than once, the directories will be searched in the order specified. No directory search is performed for files specified using an absolute path. -v Print the version number. SEE ALSO
groff(1) Groff Version 1.18.1 27 June 2001 SOELIM(1)