Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting * character evaluating too soon - Help! Post 92194 by grasper on Thursday 8th of December 2005 09:37:53 AM
Old 12-08-2005
Hi Helen

I think the issue with variable-expansion and noglob is only a problem when doing your 'eval'. Setting noglob to on shouldn't affect it otherwise. I think I'm roughly using your code-structure in the following:-

#!/bin/ksh

function fn_read_config {

p_search_item=$1
p_iteration=$2

grep ^"$p_search_item"_"$p_iteration" ./paramfile >/dev/null
v_search_return_code=$?

if [ $v_search_return_code -eq 0 ]
then
v_search_return=`grep ^"$p_search_item"_"$p_iteration" ./paramfile`
set -o noglob
v_search_line=`print ${v_search_return#*=}`
echo "PATTERN $v_search_line"
set +o noglob
return 0
fi
}

v_search=pattern
v_iter=002

fn_read_config "$v_search" "$v_iter"

set -o noglob
echo "PATTERN $v_search_line"
set +o noglob

And I'm still able to get the output:-

PATTERN *
PATTERN *

I suppose it could depend on how you were using the resulting variable value, but I'm guessing it could still be possible by manipluating noglob.

Cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating for a number

I apologize for the simple question but can someone please help me with how to evaluate a number? I will be reading in a file and if a number is >= 100000000, I will do something, if not, I will exit the if statement. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hedrict
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating variables

Hi I have a script in which I have several variables var1 var2 var3 var4 etc...... and field1 field2 field3 field4 etc....... The script similar to this: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating params

Hi all, I ve a script like.... TBL=employee sql=`cat abhi.sql` \\ abhi.sql contains ------- select a from $TBL echo $TBL echo $sql SQL=`echo $sql` echo $SQL now i want SQL as select a from employee and as select a from $TBL How can I achieve this? Help appriciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abzi
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating date +%m

how do i evaluate the value of date if ( $(date +%m) > 8 ) then FY_STAMP=FY$(echo $(($(date +%Y) + 1)) | cut -c3-4) else FY_STAMP=FY$(date +%y) fi i want this to make the FY_STAMP increment by 1 if the month is september and up. but cant seem to make it work (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsf01
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluating Decimal values

How can I evaluate a decimal value in an if statement? echo "Enter limit:" read limit (enter a decmal value, ie: 2.5) decimallimit=`echo $limit+0|bc|quit` echo $decimallimit if then echo $decimallimit else echo "failed" fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larrys721
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

K Shell evaluating value to a variable

Hi, I have the following requirement. V="First" R="V" echo $$R The output should be First. How do i achieve this. how do we evaluate the $R and evaluate it to $V as $R contains V and $V is First. Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

$$# is evaluating to 1 when no value

I have the following in my makefile: RESULT=`../${TOOLS_ROOT_PATH}/ext_tools.sh 11`; \ set $$RESULT > tMp; \ rm tMp; \ if ; then \ echo copying external-local tool: $< \($$*\); \ mkdir -p ${EXTERNAL_LOCAL_BIN_DIR}/$<; \ cp -f... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake_ryan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition not evaluating as expected

Hi all, Thanks in advance for your time. I have a data file like this: 1 7.465753425 2 8.980821918 1 1.717808219 1 6.550684932 0 5.432876712 I wish to write a bash script to check both columns and output a 1 if col1==1 AND col2<3. Otherwise I want to output a 0. In the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jem8271
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluating a variable

Does anyone know of a way to force a variable name held in another variable to return the value of the first variable? Best if I give an example, that does not work: /usr/local/bin >cat mike.sh NUM1ref=16 NUM2ref=32 echo "==============" for VAR in NUM1 NUM2 do XXXX=${VAR}ref echo $XXXX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejordan
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing and Evaluating

Hi Guys, Good day ULF :) I hope you can help me again with my problem. I have a file which looks like this: Command was launched from partition 0. ------------------------------------------------ Executing command in server server3 Dec 18 21:31:12 AHM04 nseventmgr: EVENT-SET:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
4 Replies
GID(1)								   User Commands							    GID(1)

NAME
gid - Query ID database and report results. SYNOPSIS
gid [OPTION]... PATTERN... DESCRIPTION
Query ID database and report results. By default, output consists of multiple lines, each line containing the matched identifier followed by the list of file names in which it occurs. -f, --file=FILE file name of ID database -i, --ignore-case match PATTERN case insensitively -l, --literal match PATTERN as a literal string -r, --regexp match PATTERN as a regular expression -w, --word match PATTERN as a delimited word -s, --substring match PATTERN as a substring Note: If PATTERN contains extended regular expression metacharacters, it is interpreted as a regular expression substring. Other- wise, PATTERN is interpreted as a literal word. -k, --key=STYLE STYLE is one of `token', `pattern' or `none' -R, --result=STYLE STYLE is one of `filenames', `grep', `edit' or `none' -S, --separator=STYLE STYLE is one of `braces', `space' or `newline' and only applies to file names when `--result=filenames' The above STYLE options control how query results are presented. Defaults are --key=token --result=filenames --separator=space -F, --frequency=FREQ find tokens that occur FREQ times, where FREQ is a range expressed as `N..M'. If N is omitted, it defaults to 1, if M is omitted it defaults to MAX_USHRT -a, --ambiguous=LEN find tokens whose names are ambiguous for LEN chars -x, --hex only find numbers expressed as hexadecimal -d, --decimal only find numbers expressed as decimal -o, --octal only find numbers expressed as octal By default, searches match numbers of any radix. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to bug-idutils@gnu.org SEE ALSO
The full documentation for gid is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and gid programs are properly installed at your site, the command info gid should give you access to the complete manual. gid - 4.5 August 2010 GID(1)