Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing a character string in a file Post 92148 by rjsha1 on Thursday 8th of December 2005 07:01:58 AM
Old 12-08-2005
Fantastic post thanks very much for taking the time to write it.

I'm digesting your post now.

thanks
bob...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing string with special character ???

the problem is while replacing the old string with new one with the help of SED i am unable to replace the special characters with new strings. how can i do that? i dont want the user to be given the trouble to write '\' before every special characters like * , . , \ , $ , &. sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imppayel
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing string in an XML file

Hi all, I need to replace string in XML file..XML file like <dependency> <groupId>fr.orange.portail.ear</groupId> <artifactId>_AdminServicesEAR</artifactId> <version>1.0.0-20080521.085352-1</version> <type>ear</type> </dependency> <dependency> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

error while replacing a string by new line character in sed

hi, when i am doing the following things getting error Can anyone please suggest i have a file where there is a line like the following branch=dev sdf dev jin kilii fin kale boyle dev james dev i want to search the existance of dev in the above line. cat "$file" | sed -n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing the last character for each line in a file

Hello, I have a csv file and will like to replace the last character of each line in the file with Z (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: 123script
20 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Character in a file based on element

Hi, I have file like below. Unix:/pclls/turc>cat tibc.property executeReceiver=Y executeSender=Y I want to replace executeSender=N in the file. My file should be like below. executeReceiver=Y executeSender=N I tried with the below command, its giving error. cat tibc.property |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file and replacing the special character in the name with date

HI all, How can i rename some files and replace the special character in the name with todays date ex: Name#file1.txt Name#file2.txt to be renamed as Name.20091119.file1.txt Name.20091119.file2.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing a string with another string in a txt file

Dear all, I have a file like below. I want to replace all the '.' in the 3rd column with 'NA'. I don't know how to do that. Anyone has an iead? Thanks a lot! 8 70003200 21.6206 9 70005700 17.5064 10 70002200 . 11 70005100 19.1001 17 70008000 16.1970 32 70012400 26.3465 33... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
9 Replies

8. Programming

Need help for replacing a string in a text file at runtime !

Hi All, I am facing an issue... I need to replace some string in a text file while the same file is read by some other user at the same time. The other user is using it in the Read only mode. So I can't create a temporary file and write the content first and then write it back into the original... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agupta2
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string values from a File

I want to replace string values from a file to a file For eg : File1 has 30 lines of string with values, those specific values needs to be changed in file2 and remaining values in file2 should be as it is. For example: From file (File1) cluster.name=secondaryCluster To replace File... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
9 Replies
regex(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  regex(3)

Name
       re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler

Syntax
       char *re_comp(s)
       char *s;

re_exec(s)
       char *s;

Description
       The  subroutine	compiles  a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching.  The subroutine checks the argument string against
       the last string passed to

The subroutine returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an  error  message  is  returned.  If	is
       passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression.

The  subroutine returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled
       regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error).

The strings passed to both and may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by	nulls.	 The  regular  expressions
       recognized are described in the manual entry for given the above difference.

Diagnostics
       The subroutine returns -1 for an internal error.

The subroutine returns one of the following strings if an error occurs:

No previous regular expression
       Regular expression too long
       unmatched (
       missing ]
       too many () pairs
       unmatched )

See Also
       ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1)

regex(3)