Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users signal handling in shell script Post 92106 by Raom on Thursday 8th of December 2005 12:42:01 AM
Old 12-08-2005
signal handling in shell script

Hi
can any please tell me

is it possible to catch the signal in a shell script like we do in C.
if yes please give me some idea or a link.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Handling SIGUSR2 signal

HI, I need to handle SIGUSR2 signal in my application to change the state of the application dynamically. I have implemented the signal handler. However the application is able to catch only one SIGUSR2 signal. The second SIGUSR2 signal causes the application to crash. This is happning only with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: diganta
3 Replies

2. Programming

Signal Handling

Hi folks I'm trying to write a signal handler (in c on HPUX) that will catch the child process launched by execl when it's finished so that I can check a compliance file. The signal handler appears to catch the child process terminating however when the signal handler completes the parent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: themezzaman
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Signal handling in Perl

Guys, I'm doing signal handling in Perl. I'm trying to catch ^C signal inside the script. There two scripts : one shell script and one perl script. The shell script calls the perl script. For e.g. shell script a.sh and perl scipt sig.pl. Shell script a.sh looks something like this :... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: obelix
6 Replies

4. Programming

signal handling question

Hello all, I am starting to learn signal handling in Linux and have been trying out some simple codes to deal with SIGALRM. The code shown below sets a timer to count down. When the timer is finished a SIGALRM is produced. The handler for the signal just increments a variable called count. This... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fox_hound_33
7 Replies

5. Programming

signal handling while in a function other than main

Hi, I have a main loop which calls a sub loop, which finally returns to the main loop itself. The main loop runs when a flag is set. Now, I have a signal handler for SIGINT, which resets the flag and thus stops the main loop. Suppose I send SIGINT while the program is in subloop, I get an error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Theju
1 Replies

6. Programming

Signal Handling and Context Switches

Hi guys, this is my first posting, so at first hi to everyone! ;) I have a problem with ucontext_t in connection with signal handling. I want to simulate a preemptive scheduler. I am using the iTimer with ITIMER_PROF, to schedule the interrupts. You find the code below: #include <stdio.h>... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: XComp
18 Replies

7. Programming

Signal handling

I am trying to write a small program where I can send signals and then ask for an action to be triggered if that signal is received. For example, here is an example where I am trying to write a programme that will say you pressed ctrl*c when someone presses ctrl+c. My questions are what you would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: #moveon
1 Replies

8. Programming

problem in SIGSEGV signal handling

i wrote handler for sigsegv such that i can allocate memory for a variable to which sigsegv generated for illlegal acces of memory. my code is #include <signal.h> #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<string.h> char *j; void segv_handler(int dummy) { j=(char *)malloc(10); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan6754
4 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

SIGSEGV Signal handling

Hello, Can anybody tell me how can i handle segmentation fault signal, in C code? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mustus
2 Replies

10. Programming

problem in reforking and signal handling

hi friends i have a problem in signal handling ... let me explain my problem clearly.. i have four process .. main process forks two child process and each child process again forks another new process respectively... the problem is whenever i kill the child process it is reforking and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senvenugopal
2 Replies
trap(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)