Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem deleting file with special character Post 92050 by hart1165 on Wednesday 7th of December 2005 10:29:42 AM
Old 12-07-2005
Worked like a charm Smilie Thanks for the help Vino!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a special character in file

hi i want to delete a particular character in file. example file name:abcsample abc=bbbqw3/ hidh=ajjqiwio4/ xyx=hakjp/ ........../ ......./ i want to delete that special character (/) in abcsample file.please give the required commands for my requirement. thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a special character in file

hi i want to delete a particular character in file. example file name:abcsample abc=bbbqw3/ hidh=ajjqiwio4/ xyx=hakjp/ ........../ ......./ i want to delete that special character (/) in abcsample file Permnently.please give the required commands for my requirement. required... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srivsn
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Special character in my file

I have a special character in my file. It displays as a '#' sign but when I do this command I do not find the line. fgrep 'G#ant' file1 I want to replace the special character with another value but I need to know what character it really is. Any ideas on how to replace this '#' value with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan2786
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting a special file

Hi, I have FTP'd a file two times from windows to unix machine. The second file is coming as bbmenu (2). I want to delete this file but it is not getting deleted. Kindly let me know the way how i can do that. Thanks Namish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse a file for a special character

hello, How to parse a file to see if a specific line is commented by '#' character? filename: file1 cat file1 ... # /usr/bin/whatever ... thank you (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all characters from 350th character to 450th character from the log file

Hi All, I have a big log file i want to delete all characters (between 350th to 450th characters) starting at 350th character position to 450th character position. please advice or sample code. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Special Character from File.

Hi, My file has this special character "^M" I would like to remove this characters. eg: abc,abc,^M i tried using sed but doesnt work. i used octal dump command to see special character it returns following: 015 \r Appreciate your reply. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
6 Replies

8. Programming

Problem with control file and special character

I am getting error when loading data file using ctl file. I get this error only when there is special character. Below is some data. DataFile=> company_id|ciu_id|english_name|iso_country_code|active|partner_name 1-2JT-122||Expert Järvenpää|FI|A|Expert Järvenpää Control File=> LOAD DATA... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rshivarkar
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Special character ^@ in CSV file

All, I am having a tough time with Linux and CSV file. My CSV file gets generated from Cognos on Linux machine that contains special characters. At first instance when I do vi <filename> to that file, I can't see anything. I did tail -2 and redirected to another temp file and did vi <filename>,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: donadarsh
2 Replies
gnome-character-map(1)						   User Commands					    gnome-character-map(1)

NAME
gnome-character-map, gucharmap - insert special characters into a document SYNOPSIS
gnome-character-map [--font=string] DESCRIPTION
The Character Map application enables you to select characters from a character table, then combine the characters into a text string with standard characters. You can insert the text string that you create into other applications, such as text editor documents. Character Map provides accented characters, mathematical symbols, special symbols, and punctuation marks. Many of the characters are not available on a standard keyboard. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --font=string Specify the font name and point size that you want to use to display the characters in the character table, when you start Character Map. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching Character Map example% gnome-character-map Example 2: Launching Character Map With Specified Font Name and Point Size example% gnome-character-map --font="bitstream vera sans italic 20" EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-character-map Executable for Character Map. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-character-map | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Character Map Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2004 gnome-character-map(1)