Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I want to turn my home computer into an internet server. Post 9203 by LivinFree on Wednesday 24th of October 2001 01:55:05 AM
Old 10-24-2001
Don't forget security... There's nothing worse than being cracked into because you didn't know what was running on your machine.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home network - can you have a primary name server, or only a caching-only name server

i'm setting up a solaris 9 box to be my home network's DNS server. actually it's up and running, but it's set as a caching-only name server. can i set it up to be the primary name server? what are the advantages if i can set it up to be a primary name server vs. a caching only name server? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

Internet access via home router / cablemodem and Solaris9

Hello all, Let me preface this note by expressing my thanks to anyone that can help. I have cable modem access to the internet and a D-Link router (which is also running DHCP) for multiple machine access. I have 3 windows machines running XP Pro and '98 working OK and able to access... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bpmoran3
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why doesn't this script work on my home computer?

Now it could be as simple as at work I use tsch, and at home it is bash. Warning, first post and I am a complete newbie to unix. At work, I use a simple script for updating a window when I am watching to see how a render is doing... while 1 echo --------------------------- echo ls -lrth... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iStealMusic
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

how to access computer behind cable modem, from outside,across "the Internet"

hi im running a web server running, connected to my cable modem, which, as usual, has 2 different network address. one from "outside"(ie from isp), and the other for the internal network. im giving a static ip to the server.how do i access this server from outside the network across "the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: R00tSc0rpi0n
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which Linux to get for home computer?

the most popular ones on distrowatch seems to be PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, openSUSE and Fedora. any tips, suggestions you can give this super newb about choosing something? i'd like to do a dual boot. Unfortuately my laptop's only got a single hard drive and it's only got half a gig of ram. Will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp server on old home computer - a few questions

Hi! Very new to unix stuff, and this is my first post to the forum. I'm pretty sure I know enough to know I know nothing, so please be patient with me and don't laugh too hard. Ok, I've got an old computer and a laptop - the old computer was bought in the mid 90's it's still running windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boredbody
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying script from server to home computer using nova terminal

I'm using a nova session to create and edit scripts on my school's unix server. I would like to pull my script off the server and put it in a notepad file on my desktop for the purposes of editing and copying and pasting my script in forums. Can someone please help me with this? I'm sick of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazeman27
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy the newest file from a different server to your home server.

Hi all, So I am on server 1, and I want to grab the newest file from a particular directory on server 2, and place this in a directory on server 1. I am trying to use: ls -tr | tail -1 This works, and gets me the newest file in a particular directory. Using svn `ls -tr | tail -1` etc I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lexx87
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

The C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer

Retro Games has announced that the C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer fan, available December 2019. See also: CNN: Iconic 80s computer The Commodore 64 to return with fully-functional keyboard YouTube: The C64 | Trailer ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
GPG-PRESET-PASSPHRASE(1)					 GNU Privacy Guard					  GPG-PRESET-PASSPHRASE(1)

NAME
gpg-preset-passphrase - Put a passphrase into gpg-agent's cache SYNOPSIS
gpg-preset-passphrase [options] [command] cache-id DESCRIPTION
The gpg-preset-passphrase is a utility to seed the internal cache of a running gpg-agent with passphrases. It is mainly useful for unat- tended machines, where the usual pinentry tool may not be used and the passphrases for the to be used keys are given at machine startup. Passphrases set with this utility don't expire unless the --forget option is used to explicitly clear them from the cache --- or gpg-agent is either restarted or reloaded (by sending a SIGHUP to it). It is necessary to allow this passphrase presetting by starting gpg-agent with the --allow-preset-passphrase. gpg-preset-passphrase is invoked this way: gpg-preset-passphrase [options] [command] cacheid cacheid is either a 40 character keygrip of hexadecimal characters identifying the key for which the passphrase should be set or cleared. The keygrip is listed along with the key when running the command: gpgsm --dump-secret-keys. Alternatively an arbitrary string may be used to identify a passphrase; it is suggested that such a string is prefixed with the name of the application (e.g foo:12346). One of the following command options must be given: --preset Preset a passphrase. This is what you usually will use. gpg-preset-passphrase will then read the passphrase from stdin. --forget Flush the passphrase for the given cache ID from the cache. The following additional options may be used: -v --verbose Output additional information while running. -P string --passphrase string Instead of reading the passphrase from stdin, use the supplied string as passphrase. Note that this makes the passphrase visible for other users. SEE ALSO
gpg(1), gpgsm(1), gpg-agent(1), scdaemon(1) The full documentation for this tool is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If GnuPG and the info program are properly installed at your site, the command info gnupg should give you access to the complete manual including a menu structure and an index. GnuPG 2.0.15 2010-07-05 GPG-PRESET-PASSPHRASE(1)