Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Setting Up Dns Server In Bsd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Setting Up Dns Server In Bsd Post 9192 by eNTer on Tuesday 23rd of October 2001 06:28:16 PM
Old 10-23-2001
Re: Setting Up Dns Server In Bsd

Deppends on what BSD you usethis answer... If you're using FreeBDS [haven't yet tryed OpenBSD, NetBSD etc] all you have to do is :
- edit your /etc/rc.conf file and add a line which says named_enable="YES", and if needed add another like named_flags="-u bind -g bind" (the second if you want to run named in a sandbox)
- do a sh make_localhost in /etc/namedb
- edit your /etc/namedb/named.conf and define at least a zone depending on your needs (master/slave). You could also define some ACLs to restrict access to your server
- write the files containing your zones, usualy located in /etc/namedb/s
- restart the daemon: # killall -HUP named or start it # named [named_flags]

A sample zone file is the one generated by make_localhost script, you could use it as a template. Don't forget to increment the serial number of the zone at each change !

Quote:
Originally posted by BSD_NEWUSER
I just learning BSD So how would you go about setting up a DNS server please explain like A,B,C I am a new very new UNIX users so any help would be great thanks

Smilie Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setup a DNS server for my redhat server

Using Redhat Linux Enterprise AS 4 can someone teach me how to setup a dns server for my webserver? i've registered a domainname at mydomain.com but when i type in the domain i register i cannot enter to my webserver. someone told me that it is related with the DNS setting on my server. i've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixiang88
2 Replies

2. Linux

setting primary dns

Hi, I am running Fedora 7. I seem to remember there being a command to determine the primary dns. Can anyone help me find out what it is? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Setting up local DNS Server

Hi , Could some one please share some docs or steps to set up solaris box as a local DNS . Thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

dhcp not setting dns and changing to garbage

I have 2 problems. Dhcp is not setting dns and after I manually set my dns it changes to garbage. I literally just used command to set dns which is a good copy of resolv.conf: sudo cp /home/bob/Desktop/scripts_9-12-2011/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.confHere is a copy of my resolv.conf. #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

7. Linux

Setting up slave DNS?

can someone point me in the right direction im trying to setup a Slave dns server this is my named.conf file zone "website1.org" { type slave; file"mydb-for-website1-org"; notify NO; };and this is my var/named/mydb-for-website1-org $TTL 3D @ IN SOA ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gangsta
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me setting up dns and understanding it.

Hi I need to set up a dns server for Oracle 11g rac setup. I got some files (copied from friend) named.conf and related files in /var/named , i was told that this would work fine. But i am getting some issues. I am attaching the files here. The problem is dig... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankurk
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Network Manager not setting correct DNS servers

Since a few weeks i use Ubuntu 16 on my laptop: # uname -a Linux xxxx 4.8.0-52-generic #55~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 28 14:36:29 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Because i want to use a custom name server i set the properties in the "Edit Connections" dialogue to the following: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
2 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
nsd-xfer(8)							    nsd 3.2.12							       nsd-xfer(8)

NAME
nsd-xfer - AXFR client to transfer zones from a name server SYNOPSIS
nsd-xfer [-4] [-6] [-a address[@port]] [-p port] [-s serial] [-T tsiginfo] [-v] -z zone -f file servers DESCRIPTION
Nsd-xfer is program to transfer zones from a name server using AXFR. NSD is a complete implementation of an authoritative DNS nameserver. OPTIONS
-4 Only send to IPv4 addresses. -6 Only send to IPv6 addresses. -a address[@port] Specify the source address (and port) to send from. -f file The file to store the zone in. -p port Specify the port to send to. -s serial Specify the serial of the current zone. The zone is only transferred if the master server has a zone with a greater serial number. -T tsiginfo Use TSIG to verify the zone transfer. The tsiginfo file must contain the TSIG key information. The file is removed upon successful reading of the key. The format of the tsiginfo file is described in the doc/README file (section 3.3). -v Be more verbose. -z zone Specify the zone to receive. servers List of nameservers to try. EXAMPLES
To run this program the standard way type: # nsd-xfer -z foobar.cz -f foobar.cz.zone 1.2.3.4 SEE ALSO
nsd(8), nsdc(8), nsd.conf(5), nsd-checkconf(8), nsd-notify(8), nsd-patch(8), zonec(8) AUTHORS
NSD was written by NLnet Labs and RIPE NCC joint team. Please see CREDITS file in the distribution for further details. NLnet Labs jul 19, 2012 nsd-xfer(8)