Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to find the exact pattern from a file? Post 91721 by surjyap on Monday 5th of December 2005 05:59:44 AM
Old 12-05-2005
how to find the exact pattern from a file?

Hi
Let say there is a file a.txt which contain number rows.
My intention is to find the number of occurences of a pattern. Let say the pattern is mdbase. then it should not count the occurences of mdbase1 or mdbase2 like this. When I tried to find it like
grep "/backup/surjya/mdbase" xmldir.conf_backup | wc -w
The out put is 3 rather than 1. So please let me know how it can be resolved

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Exact word in file

Hi ALL, I want to search one string “20 “ i.e 20 with space. But my file where I am searching this “20 “ contain some data like 120 before image file truncated 220 Reports section succeeded 20 Transaction database .prd stopped 220 Reports section completed. When I search for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevan Salunke
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find exact text in file ?

I have file named shortlist , and it contains this: 2233|charles harris |g.m. |sales |12/12/52| 90000 9876|bill johnson |director |production|03/12/50|130000 5678|robert dylan |d.g.m. |marketing |04/19/43| 85000 2365|john woodcock |director |personnel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cecko
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file with exact access date

Hi I have to write command that find the files/dirs in the directory with access date equal to timestamp. ie or to be more precise I need to find files which are not equal to given timestamp drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle oinstall 4096 May 31 2007 tmp so need to have something like find . *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to grep exact pattern from file

Contents of my file is: DI DI DIR PHI I want to extract only DI. I am using below command grep -w DI <file> but it is also extracting DI. Can i use any other command to extract exact pattern where '[' does not have special meaning (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find exact path of a file/directory

Hello Folks, A wrapper takes an argument of file or directory name. I want to allow paths that reside within the current directory only. Can simply discard the paths like "/A" & "../" as they go outside the current by looking at the path beginning. How to validate this one: A/../../../b... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a file if we dont know exact location of file ?

Hi I want know "How to find a file if we dont know exact location of file ?" Thanks, Tushar Joshi:) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tusharjoshi
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUESTION1: grep only exact string. QUESTION2: find and replace only exact value with sed

QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1 CAR2_KEY0 CAR2_KEY1 CAR1_KEY10 CURRENT COMMAND LINE: WHERE VARIABLE CAR_NUMBER=1 AND KEY_NUMBER=1 grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo exact xml tag from an exact file

Im stumped on this one. Id like to echo into a .txt file all names for an xml feed in a huge folder. Can that be done?? Id need to echo <name>This name</name> in client.xml files. $path="/mnt/windows/path" echo 'recording names' cd "$path" for names in $path than Im stuck on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: graphicsman
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the exact pattern

My Input : Hi editor this is the exact pattern which we looking for the previous patternmatch My code: awk '/pattern/ { print a } { a = $0 }' Current output : exact previous (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
3 Replies
INSTR(3)						       MBK UTILITY FUNCTIONS							  INSTR(3)

NAME
instr - find an occurence of a string in a string, starting at a specified character. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mut.h" char *instr(s, find, from) char *s, *find, from; PARAMETERS
s Pointer to the string to be searched for the pattern find Pointer to the string to be found, the pattern from Character to be searched backwards before searching for the pattern DESCRIPTION
instr searches the first occurence of the string find in the string s, starting its search at the last occurence of the from character in the string s. If either s or find is NULL, the function returns NULL. If from is (char)0, the pattern is searched from the begining of s. This quite exotic behaviour is useful to search the occurence of a name in a string resulting from a flatten, when only a terminal object name is to be taken into account. RETURN VALUES
instr return NULL either if the pattern find is not present in the searched string s, or if one at least of these two string are NULL. If the pattern is found, a value different from NULL is returned. EXAMPLE
#include "mut.h" /* check for the pattern 'ck' anywhere in the string */ #define contains_ck(name)instr(name, "ck", ' ') /* check for the pattern 'ck' in the signal name, not instance ones */ #define isclock(ptsig) instr(getsigname(ptsig), "ck", SEPAR) SEE ALSO
mbk(1), isvdd(3), isvss(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 INSTR(3)