Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find: problems escaping printf-command string Post 91661 by grahamb on Sunday 4th of December 2005 03:00:11 PM
Old 12-04-2005
Question That dammed substitution!

Hi You Guys!

I'm sure most of you have an answer to this one. Smilie I'm trying to do a work around on the problem above, but get held up elsewhere!!!!! Smilie So can't avoid this problem.

Here's my next stopper:
Code:
COMMAND="ls -la --full-time `find ./* -type f` "
${COMMAND} | awk '''{ print '$NF' '$0' }''' >> ${ARCHIVE_DIR}/${TMP_FILE}

The log file shows this error:
Code:
+ awk '{ print  /usr/share/scripts/security_check.sh }'

I'm half way there. I have the '{ }' parts carried to the command line. BUT the "$NF" is substituted to be blank and "$0" is substitued as the calling program!!

When I put \$NF inside the awk-brackets the "\" gets sent to the command line, eg:
Code:
+ awk '{ print  \$NF \$0 }'

Close but not close enough!

Can u help? Any ideas? Any links to help me?

regards
GrahamB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ctrl-c: not escaping command

using ksh on HP 11.11. I'm new to HP, so maybe it's something I need to turn on in HP, but I figured it's probably in ksh. If I run "grep aaa" (or any command) Whenever I try to Ctrl-C it does not work. I'm not saying it did work before, as I'm new to the environment. Do I need to set a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with find command

Folks, I have been searching a dir for specfic files that have been accessed within a certain timeframe. The issue that I am having is that it picks up the .snapshot dir as well. I am using the following: find /probecards/ -name "S25E3N*" -mtime -1 -type f Is this correct or how do I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodey
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help please...output problems with printf.

#include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> // this function calculates the volume of a Cylinder int main(void) { int r; // radius int h; // height double M_PI; // pi int pOne = pow (r, 2); // get user input of radius and height printf ("Enter your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pwanda
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help formatting a string. Something like printf?

Hi I'm having a problem with converting a file: ID X 1 7 1 8 1 3 2 5 2 7 2 2 To something like this: ID X1 X2 X3 1 7 8 3 2 5 7 2 I've tried the following loop: for i in `cat tst.csv| awk -F "," '{print $1}'| uniq`;do grep -h $i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flotsam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple string in one file using find command

Hi, I want find multiple string in one file using find coomand. And keeping it in one variable.grep is not working. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping metacharacters in paths for a shell command

I have a file which contains a list of paths separated by a new line character. e.g /some/path/to/a/file.png /some/path to/another/file.jpeg /some path/to yet/another/file Notice that these paths may contain metacharacters, the spaces for example are also not escaped. If I wanted... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problems with ksh array and find command

set -A allfiles `find $usrhtml -type f` i am trying to populate this array with the find command. It works fine when find is looking through a single directory but when i add a new subdirectory the files in the subdirectory get duplicated. Can anyone help me and fix this so each files in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjhum33
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with awk printf, formatted output

Hi, i have a script, which is incomplete, am on my way developing it. Input 1,12,2012,IF_TB001 2,12,2012,3K3 3,Z56,00000,25,229,K900,00, ,3G3, ,USD, ,0000000000,000, , , , 550000000 3,Z56,00000,53,411,W225,00,000, , ,USD,OM170,0000000000,000, , , , -550000000 4,Z56,COUNT, 4,SUM LOC,... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf padded string

Is possible to print padded string in printf? Example echo 1 | awk '{printf("%03d\n", $1)}' 001I want S1 S11 S2 S21to be padded as: S01 S11 S02 S21Thanks! (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
26 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with bash escaping while using screen command

Hello, everyone. I'm currently trying to write a command system for a Minecraft server using screen. Here are the scripts I'm currently using. 0.sh #!/bin/bash screen -S Test114 -dm java -Xmx4G -jar server.jar nogui 1.sh #!/bin/bash args="$@" args2="${args@Q}" #args3=`printf '%q\n'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Develon
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)