Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: strange doubt in users
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers strange doubt in users Post 91471 by rhfrommn on Friday 2nd of December 2005 11:07:58 AM
Old 12-02-2005
There are a couple things going on here. First, when you change your group in /etc/password it changes which group you belong to, but that won't have any effect on files that are already created. From now on, all files you create will have group try, but anything from before won't change.

That is why in your second post you needed to do the chgrp. When you did the chgrp try /user/abc, that will change the group for JUST /user/abc. If you want it to change the group for everything below you need to tell the chgrp command that. In Solaris it would be:

chgrp -R try /user/abc

If you are using a different Unix version just check the manpage for chgrp to verify that the switch is -R for you as well.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Last edited by rhfrommn; 12-02-2005 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Added more information

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt??

I jus want to know the meaning of the below command line(exclamation following that re-direction) sqlplus -s `cat /home/sample.txt` <<! Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nohup
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt

Hi , Struck with one basic question. Iam expecting word count of 4 where "wc" is showing as 5 . # echo "abcd" | wc 1 1 5 # echo abcd | wc 1 1 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchal_boddu
5 Replies

3. Solaris

To restrict the users not to change the passwords for NIS users

Hi All, How to restrict the NIS users not to change their passwords in for NIS users?? and my NIS user is unable to login to at client location what could be the problem for this ? Any body can help me. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sharath Kumar
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Showing all users in 'users' and 'top' commands

Hi All, I work in a multi user environment where my school uses Red Hat Linux server. When I issue commands such as "top" or "users", I get to see what others are doing and what kinds of applications they are running (even ps -aux will give such information). "users" will let me know who else is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Doubt

How to create a file with specific size in RHEL6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sashi Kanth A
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt..

Hi experts, In one of our code we have used some command like this. name=${name##*/} Can someone please let me know what exactly it does? Thanks & Regards, Sathya V. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple users with individual passwords to users

hi, i am new to shell scripts i write a shell script to create multiple users but i need to give passwords to that users while creating users, command to write this script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DONFOX
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Doubt

in my shell script requirement is to search and replace the file with variable so i use the following command sed -i "s/abc/$SCHEMA/g" table.sql later when the script runs sqlplus username/pwd@Table& this & is not letting the variable to replace the value inside the file .please let me know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhuvan1
1 Replies
FS_WHEREIS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_WHEREIS(1)

NAME
fs_whereis - Reports each file server housing a file or directory SYNOPSIS
fs whereis [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs whe [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs whereis command returns the name of each file server machine that houses the volume containing each directory or file named by the -path argument. OPTIONS
-path <dir/file path>+ Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the host file server machine. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each specified directory or file. It names the file server machine on which the volume that houses the specified directory or file resides. A list of multiple machines indicates that the directory or file is in a replicated volume. Machine names usually have a suffix indicating their cell membership. If the cell is not clear, use the fs whichcell command to display the cell in which the directory or file resides. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command. EXAMPLES
The following example indicates that volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com resides is replicated on both "fs1.abc.com" and "fs3.abc.com": % fs whereis -path /afs/abc.com File /afs/abc.com is on hosts fs1.abc.com fs3.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_whichcell(1), fs_wscell(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WHEREIS(1)