Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Any help?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Any help? Post 91404 by OmegaRed on Thursday 1st of December 2005 10:20:39 PM
Old 12-01-2005
Any help?

This is what I need to do to sort out the results from a script:

I know the first half is right, but the second half is what's getting me.
The file has 6 fields like this

word numbers numbers numbers numbers numbers

and I only care about finding numbers in the 6th field that have even numbers. It finds some but not all because when I cat the .txt I can see some of them didn't go over. I know I could copy the rest but I would like to understand how to do it the first time.

Here's what I have:

grep "^[A-Z].*[tcz].* [1-9][02468][0-9]*$" /home/public/data.txt | sort -nk3 | head -83 | tail -43 | sort -nk2 > ~/program.txt

I have cursed and strained over this for awhile. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Edited to make more sense.

Last edited by OmegaRed; 12-01-2005 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: to make more sense

UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-i] [-f num] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the specified input_file comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the output_file. If input_file is a single dash ('-') or absent, the standard input is read. If output_file is absent, standard output is used for output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Only output lines that are repeated in the input. -f num Ignore the first num fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adjacent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e. the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first num fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e. the first character is character one. -u Only output lines that are not repeated in the input. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. DIAGNOSTICS
The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A uniq command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD